Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pirate announcer rants on Reds pitchers........

Hybrid View

Pirate announcer rants on Reds pitchers........

the guy was OUTRAGED and ranted for about two innings about how they have to start hitting Reds batters wholesale after Leake hit McCutcheon. He was LIVID, saying "We HAVE to get them, this has to stop......blah blah blah. What a tool. He never mentioned that they hit our guys FIVE times during the last 3 game set in Pittsburgh.

How ironic. He's calling wholesale for retaliation against us for our outrageous behavior, which in truth is probably our guys simply retaliating for the five HBPs they laid on us last series. If any of you guys have MLB TV give it a watch, it's actually quite amusing (almost as good as listening to the Cards announcers when they lose.

Re: Pirate announcer rants on Reds pitchers........

Yeah I flipped over to Pirates broadcast after Chapman went up and in on Walker. They were all about making a big deal out of it. They even stated the weird part when Chapman misses badly is that he is a pitcher not known for wildness. They must watch a different Chapman, he routinely loses at least one per game that comes nowhere close to target.

The funny part is the were going crazy over yet another pitch from a Reds pitcher that didn't actually hit anyone. Like the Cueto and Chapman pitches a couple weeks ago.

Even funnier.....pirates lead the MLB in hitting batters. Reds 12th.

Another interesting stat. Cardinals have fewest wild pitches in MLB yet are 2nd in HBP. Selective wildness I suppose.
    Last edited by RadfordVA; 06-18-2013 at 02:56 AM.

3. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Yeah I flipped over to Pirates broadcast after Chapman went up and in on Walker. They were all about making a big deal out of it. They even stated the weird part when Chapman misses badly is that he is a pitcher not known for wildness. They must watch a different Chapman, he routinely loses at least one per game that comes nowhere close to target.

The funny part is the were going crazy over yet another pitch from a Reds pitcher that didn't actually hit anyone. Like the Cueto and Chapman pitches a couple weeks ago.

Even funnier.....pirates lead the MLB in hitting batters. Reds 12th.

Another interesting stat. Cardinals have fewest wild pitches in MLB yet are 2nd in HBP. Selective wildness I suppose.
    Yeah that was hilarious. I wonder if they ever stopped to think that maybe a closer in save situation wouldn't want to be intentionally putting runners on base?

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Or a great defensive catcher... and a catcher that many runners will not consider taking a chance against to get that extra base.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Did they forget that earlier in the game 2 pitches too Choo were up and in above the shoulders. Its baseball. If they thought leake hit cutch on purpose they should have retaliated. There were no warnings...

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BPhil4 View Post
    2 pitches too Choo...
    That is hard to say. Thank you for not using the CF's entire name in that sentence.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Must have been Bob Walk. He's an idiot and usually goes over the top on most anything. Oh well when you are not used to winning you think everyone is out to get you.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Must have been Bob Walk. He's an idiot and usually goes over the top on most anything. Oh well when you are not used to winning you think everyone is out to get you.
    It was actually someone else. Don't know the guys name, but he has kind of an annoying high pitched voice. It was really funny hearing his high pitched rant, kind of like hearing Micky Mouse saying "THERE WILL BE BLOOD! THERE WILL BE BLOOD!

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    It was actually someone else. Don't know the guys name, but he has kind of an annoying high pitched voice. It was really funny hearing his high pitched rant, kind of like hearing Micky Mouse saying "THERE WILL BE BLOOD! THERE WILL BE BLOOD!
    I try to be as objective as possible on these things. I'm a Pirates' fan, but I really do strive to be objective.

First, it was either Greg Brown or John Wehner. Walk only calls home games.

Second, I checked the stats, and you guys are right. We've hit the Reds eight times this year. Reds have hit us six. I have to admit that I didn't know that. It's easy to get caught up in homerism and only rememebr the times you've been hit, had a call go against you, etc. The reality is that bad calls tend to even out, we just don't notice them when they go in favor of our team. And, it's easy to foget the times your guys have been doing the plunking.

Now, as it relates to this particular situation. I don't think Leake hit McCutchen intentionally. As was noted last night, why would he in that spot? The count wasn't right, close game, important game. It wasn't intentional. Neither was Chapman's pitch to Walker, I don't think. I think the issue there obviously stems back to last year and a similar pitch, in a similar spot to two good players.

As I was commenting on the game last night in the Game Thread, I think I let my emotions get the better of me, and stopped looking at things objectively, which I always try to do. No harm, no foul. I hope both teams can move on and have a good rest of the series.

11. Likes:

Donder (06-18-2013), lollipopcurve (06-18-2013), mth123 (06-18-2013), oneupper (06-18-2013), thatcoolguy_22 (06-18-2013), _Sir_Charles_ (06-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by IABucFan View Post
    I try to be as objective as possible on these things. I'm a Pirates' fan, but I really do strive to be objective.

First, it was either Greg Brown or John Wehner. Walk only calls home games.

Second, I checked the stats, and you guys are right. We've hit the Reds eight times this year. Reds have hit us six. I have to admit that I didn't know that. It's easy to get caught up in homerism and only rememebr the times you've been hit, had a call go against you, etc. The reality is that bad calls tend to even out, we just don't notice them when they go in favor of our team. And, it's easy to foget the times your guys have been doing the plunking.

Now, as it relates to this particular situation. I don't think Leake hit McCutchen intentionally. As was noted last night, why would he in that spot? The count wasn't right, close game, important game. It wasn't intentional. Neither was Chapman's pitch to Walker, I don't think. I think the issue there obviously stems back to last year and a similar pitch, in a similar spot to two good players.

As I was commenting on the game last night in the Game Thread, I think I let my emotions get the better of me, and stopped looking at things objectively, which I always try to do. No harm, no foul. I hope both teams can move on and have a good rest of the series.
    And one of those 8 is what kept Phillips out for several games which is why Reds fans won't forget. I don't think Leake's was intentional and I don't see this being a big deal on either side.

Chapman though... well he conveniently loses control to scare guys pretty regularly these days. I have to say I can't blame the Pirates if they got upset about that one.

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    And one of those 8 is what kept Phillips out for several games which is why Reds fans won't forget. I don't think Leake's was intentional and I don't see this being a big deal on either side.

Chapman though... well he conveniently loses control to scare guys pretty regularly these days. I have to say I can't blame the Pirates if they got upset about that one.
    Do you know what day that happened, by chance? I'd like to go back and look at it.

In their postgame comments they continued to hammer that Pirates pitchers needed to do something. Said they thought Reds pitchers were intimidating the Pirates. I think they think it's Steelers-Bengals out there.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Chapman has hit one batter in 30 IP, almost identical to their closer Grilli. Wish he had stats to back up his claims. Kept saying the Reds pitchers were taking liberties with the Pirates.

Time to write emails to FS Pittsburgh
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Its the Pirates..The will be irrelevant again here soon just as always

Turn Off Ads?