Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pirate announcer rants on Reds pitchers........

Re: Pirate announcer rants on Reds pitchers........

Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    The pitch did it's job. Sent the hitter flailing on the very next pitch which turned out to be strike three. Very similar to Randy Johnson vs. John Kruk in the All-Star Game.
    I'm not saying I have a problem with it. Pedro was known for throwing at guys, but just don't be surprised when people don't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    And one of those 8 is what kept Phillips out for several games which is why Reds fans won't forget. I don't think Leake's was intentional and I don't see this being a big deal on either side.

Chapman though... well he conveniently loses control to scare guys pretty regularly these days. I have to say I can't blame the Pirates if they got upset about that one.
    Do you know what day that happened, by chance? I'd like to go back and look at it.

It doesn't hurt to be conveniently wild every so often. Keeps those hitters on their toes and in this case its starting to get into some of those Pirates hitters heads. If they are thinking about getting hit when at the plate that's a good thing for Reds pitching.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

5. Likes:

Chip R (06-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I'm not saying I have a problem with it. Pedro was known for throwing at guys, but just don't be surprised when people don't like it.
    I would maintain that you've got to be careful with it. I have no problem pitching inside, even high and tight. But you've got to be able to control it. Because with as hard as Chapman throws, if he hits someone up there, you're talking about the possibility of a career-threatening, possibly even life-threatening, injury. It's not something to mess around with.

I'll be honest, I wish Chapman were on my team. The guy is unhittable. And the fact that he intimidates batters gives him a leg up. I'd just hate to see him miss on one of those and seriously injure someone. I'd hate to see it as much for him as anyone. I'm sure he doesn't want to injure anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by IABucFan View Post
    Do you know what day that happened, by chance? I'd like to go back and look at it.
    June 1. Watson hit Phillips and Frazier.
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/mlb/g...mlb_1&mode=box

I feel bad for walker. He looks scared to death after that pitch. He'll never be the same. He'll have to go see the wizard for his PTSD.

No one will ever compete with Cubs fans, but Pirates fans sure are making a run at being the whiniest, losingest fans there are these days. Now that they're not legitimately the worst team in baseball anymore, if they're not winning, it must be somebody else's fault, right? Sure.

And this is coming from somebody who really does think Chapman toes the line sometimes.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

10. Likes:

WVRedsFan (06-18-2013)

It's kind of cool that the Reds have become some other club's white whale.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

12. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (06-18-2013),LoganBuck (06-18-2013),Unassisted (06-18-2013),vaticanplum (06-18-2013),wolfboy (06-18-2013),WVRedsFan (06-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    No one will ever compete with Cubs fans, but Pirates fans sure are making a run at being the whiniest, losingest fans there are these days. Now that they're not legitimately the worst team in baseball anymore, if they're not winning, it must be somebody else's fault, right? Sure.

And this is coming from somebody who really does think Chapman toes the line sometimes.

Sorry if you think I'm whining.

Quote Originally Posted by Donder View Post
    June 1. Watson hit Phillips and Frazier.
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/mlb/g...mlb_1&mode=box
    Ahh...No wonder I didn't remember it. I was out of the country at the time.

Wasn't it Steve Blass who was calling for the Pirates to drill Choo when the Reds were in Pittsburgh?

Of course, if Blass were still pitching, all Choo would have to do is stand on the plate and he would never get hit in a million years.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

16. Likes:

remdog (06-19-2013),RichRed (06-18-2013)

I don't think he was talking about you, so I think you're cool.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post

I wonder if, at this moment, there's a bit of a Penguins angst spillover. Seems like there was some serious shock over the Pittsburgh hockey team getting swept out of the playoffs.

Can't say I was sad to see that as the Pens fans' strident support of serial sociopath Matt Cooke left me thoroughly disgusted.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

19. Likes:

Unassisted (06-18-2013)

I don't think that was directed at you. Vaticanplum lives in Pittsburgh, and has to deal with Pirates fans on a daily basis.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I wonder if, at this moment, there's a bit of a Penguins angst spillover. Seems like there was some serious shock over the Pittsburgh hockey team getting swept out of the playoffs.

Can't say I was sad to see that as the Pens fans' strident support of serial sociopath Matt Cooke left me thoroughly disgusted.
    It seems to be ongoing, but that does probably exacerbate things. A couple of months til the Steelers are back so baseball is probably where the angst is getting directed.

I like Matt Cooke and think that the Bruins have a knack for bringing out the Penguins' dormant sociopaths, but I guess that's for another thread.

And IABucFan, I definitely wasn't talking about you. Much moreso Buccos' announcers and a general fan mentality right now.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?