Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Double Posting

  1. #1
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,534

    Double Posting

    I think we all know that there's a problem with double posting around here. My experience is that on most other sites there is a mechanism that kicks in that prevents a lot of this. It'll say something like "the administrator prevents posting within 30 secs; please wait to re-post". Why can't we have something like this here?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    in tornado alley
    Posts
    1,755

    Re: Double Posting

    I've noticed everytime I have double or triple posted, I was on my cellphone with a crummy connection. Not sure if coincidence or cause, but it's held true with 100% accuracy so far.
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    297

    Re: Double Posting

    Must be a slow day at work

  5. #4
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,663

    Re: Double Posting

    Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    I've noticed everytime I have double or triple posted, I was on my cellphone with a crummy connection. Not sure if coincidence or cause, but it's held true with 100% accuracy so far.
    Interesting and I think you are on to something... I have NEVER had a double-post (knock on wood lol). But I always post from the standard laptop w/ good connectivity whether from home or work.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  6. #5
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,011

    Re: Double Posting

    Someone had the rare quintuple post. That might just be a record for the Guiness Book.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  7. #6
    Newbie Rock of Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Toshi Station
    Posts
    147

    Re: Double Posting

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Someone had the rare quintuple post. That might just be a record for the Guiness Book.
    The RedsZone version of the Golden Sombrero!!

  8. #7
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,336

    Re: Double Posting

    My double (and triple) posts today were on my desktop computer. I noticed they happened all around the same time - a little after 9 a.m. EDT.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  9. #8
    They call me "chef"
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    889

    Re: Double Posting

    Some people's opinions are worth more than one post. RedsZone's internal code is simply acknowledging this.
    Cincinnati Reds 2014 W-L Record: 76.6-85.4*

    Cincinnati Reds 2015 W-L Record: TBA

    *UPDATED: 2/11/2014

  10. Likes:

    MBZags (06-18-2013), RedEye (06-18-2013), thatcoolguy_22 (06-19-2013), Tom Servo (06-18-2013)

  11. #9
    Member MBZags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    238

    Re: Double Posting

    I don't have a substantive answer on whether a time limit could be imposed. Boss will likely have an answer for you.

    But if you inadvertently post multiple times or see it somewhere on the forum, you can report it and we'll take care of it.

  12. #10
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,070
    I will double check, but I know I have previously looked into this and was surprised to find the anti double posting option(s) was on. I acknowledge there is a problem, and it's annoying for the moderators, too, because we need to delete them.

    I definitely think some of the problem is tied to the occasional site sluggishness and/or outages we infrequently see, but I also think some may be inadvertent on the user's part (particularly on mobile devices). I will see what I can find out.

  13. #11
    Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    in tornado alley
    Posts
    1,755

    Re: Double Posting

    How about a way for a poster to delete a post within a time limit of posting? Say 1 minute after a post is made you can delete the entire thing instead of just edit.
    "Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier'n helpin' 'em move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load **** into a truck."

  14. #12
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,534

    Re: Double Posting

    Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I will double check, but I know I have previously looked into this and was surprised to find the anti double posting option(s) was on. I acknowledge there is a problem, and it's annoying for the moderators, too, because we need to delete them.

    I definitely think some of the problem is tied to the occasional site sluggishness and/or outages we infrequently see, but I also think some may be inadvertent on the user's part (particularly on mobile devices). I will see what I can find out.
    I just got a message saying that postings cannot be made in a 15 sec interval. That saved a double post for me. I've seen 30 and 45 sec on other sites. I don't know if this is something that would address the problem or not but the 15 sec thing was a start. I guess you don't want to screw up the game threads which lends itself to short interval postings

  15. #13
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,070

    Re: Double Posting

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I just got a message saying that postings cannot be made in a 15 sec interval. That saved a double post for me. I've seen 30 and 45 sec on other sites. I don't know if this is something that would address the problem or not but the 15 sec thing was a start. I guess you don't want to screw up the game threads which lends itself to short interval postings
    Good catch - I've changed this to 30 seconds, which was the default. I'm not sure why I ever would have changed it in the first place (I suspect due to the reason you mentioned), but let's see how this does. Thanks.

  16. #14
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,070

    Re: Double Posting

    Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    How about a way for a poster to delete a post within a time limit of posting? Say 1 minute after a post is made you can delete the entire thing instead of just edit.
    This is a good idea, but unless I'm missing something, deleting access appears to be an all or nothing option.

  17. #15
    Moderator LexRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Greenville, South Carolina
    Posts
    557

    Re: Double Posting

    I've seen on other VB sites a warning that says "this is a copy of a post you have made within this thread within the last 5 minutes." I don't know where at boss, but it's buried somewhere I guess.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25