Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Your 2013 New York Yankees

Your 2013 New York Yankees

Or: When Keeping It Real with Expensive Stars Goes Bad

I saw the Yanks called up a fellow named Zoilo Almonte, and I was inspired to create a thread about the 2013 Yankees, a team decimated by the injuries (and re-injuries) of Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira, Curtis Granderson, Kevin Youkilis, Francisco Cervelli, Eduardo Nunez, etc. Of course, they still have some notable fellows who aren't injured (yet), namely Robinson Cano, Vernon Wells, Brett Gardner, Ichiro Suzuki, and Travis Hafner on offense and a generally healthy rotation, but here are the other guys who have ranged from regular playing time to brief stints since April 1 for the Bronx Bombers.

Position players
    Chris Stewart
    Lyle Overbay
    Jayson Nix
    David Adams
    Reid Brignac
    Austin Romine
    Alberto Gonzalez
    Corban Joseph
    Thomas Neal
    Brennan Boesch
    Ben Francisco
    Chris Nelson

Pitchers
    Preston Claiborne
    Adam Warren
    Vidal Nuno
    Brett Marshall
    Cody Eppley
    David Huff
    Chris Bootcheck

A few guys on the 40 Man they could call up
    Manny Banuelos
    Dellin Betances
    Jose Ramirez
    Nik Turley
    Ramon Flores
    Melky Mesa

And there's still 90+ games to go! They even just acquired former OF prospect/total dud Fernando Martinez for AAA depth. It's a bizarre train wreck and I want to see them go all out with these guys off the scrap heap and rookies 95% of people have never heard of.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

NCCardfan (06-19-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Your 2013 New York Yankees

Even with all of that they are only 4 out of first and are 38-31.

$200 million doesn't buy what it used to.

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    $200 million doesn't buy what it used to.
    So true. Yet, $200 Mil will cure AIDS. Who would of ever thought AIDS would be cured by money? Not me.

7. Likes:

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

And last place Toronto has won 8 in a row and is 1 game under .500. Tough crowd, tough crowd.

I hope this is the year the Yankees finish last.

They have also now added our old friend Corey Patterson for AAA depth and acquired Brent Lillibridge. Murderer's Row!
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I think the AL East is headed for a 5-way tie.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Scored 285 runs, Allowed 286 runs. Pythagorean W-L: 36-37

Their bullpen, like the Pirates will be on fumes by August...if not sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    They have also now added our old friend Corey Patterson for AAA depth and acquired Brent Lillibridge. Murderer's Row!
    Will the Patterson one can be laughed at....they at least do not sit around hoping for the best. They at l;east released Cyrano DeBergenac...who was no better or worse than Izturus is here. They go looking for bullpen help and some semblance of bench depth. They seem to know how to work moving people around the 40 man roster too. I am not being sarcastic or trying to be...but it seems once the season starts....the Reds take their time making moves to help the team. This is not 2011...as they are playing way better than that...but standing pat for the sake of what? Clubhouse chemistry?

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    I think the AL East is headed for a 5-way tie.
    That would be awesome! Can you imagine the chaos that would create? (And how would the wild card race be affected?)
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Derek Jeter has been activated from the DL, but not before Travis Ishakawa had a 2 at-bat stint in a Yankees uniform. They also have journeyman Luis Cruz kicking around.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Will the Patterson one can be laughed at....they at least do not sit around hoping for the best. They at l;east released Cyrano DeBergenac...who was no better or worse than Izturus is here. They go looking for bullpen help and some semblance of bench depth. They seem to know how to work moving people around the 40 man roster too. I am not being sarcastic or trying to be...but it seems once the season starts....the Reds take their time making moves to help the team. This is not 2011...as they are playing way better than that...but standing pat for the sake of what? Clubhouse chemistry?
    This fine post deserves to be bumped.

Turn Off Ads?