Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bearcats to the Big 12?

Bearcats to the Big 12?

This rumor comes from an ESPN announcer in the Nashville area. Take it FWIW.

According to a radio host in Nashville on 102.5 the game, the Big 12 ó which does not currently have a championship game ó is going to add two more teams in the offseason and, according to his information, those two teams will be Cincinnati and Memphis.

This, of course, isnít Pat Forde or Pete Thamel reporting here. But itís certainly fun to think about, isnít it?

The Tigers won the American Athletic Conference this season, their first conference championship in football since 1971. Coach Justin Fuente has led one of the more impressive turnarounds in the country, taking the Tigers from 3-9 in 2013 to 9-3 just a year later.

ďIím being told that (FedEx CEO) Fred Smith has obviously opened up the checkbook and is helping ease this process along,Ē Darren McFarland said today on Sports Night.
    Heads of state that ride and wrangle. That look at your face from more than one angle. Can cut you from their bloated budgets. Like sharpened knives through Chicken McNuggets.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bearcats to the Big 12?

Good for UC if it happens. Their program needs a lot of work from a facilities standpoint, but I think they'd be able to compete relatively quickly across the board. But Memphis?!? Geez, why? The FedEx guy must be willing to part with piles of cash to get them into the Big XII.

Great news for WV is this is true, certainly.

I can't believe Lance isn't running wild with this rumor, essentially because he and Darren M. are the exact same person.

I actually like Darren a lot as a host. He's a Reds fan, so that helps.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Good for UC if it happens. Their program needs a lot of work from a facilities standpoint, but I think they'd be able to compete relatively quickly across the board.
    A major revamp of UC's facilities has been in progress for the better part of a decade starting with the Varsity Village project, which included new olympic sports facilities, admin spaces, locker rooms and training spaces. A proper $15M football practice facility completed about three years ago. The $90M expansion and renovation of Nippert will be done for next season. A gut job and rebuild of the 5/3rd interior is in the planning stages, and there should be movement on that in the next two years. I expect UC to expedite plans to do a second round of Nippert expansion if admitted to the Big XII or ACC (some of the forum "insider" rumblings already have suggested this). With the space constraints surrounding Nippert, there's enough room to max out around 45,000.

I'm not buying the rumor to the Big XII yet since it's uncorroborated. But it's nice to be mentioned, and it certainly beats the silent alternative that is getting left out. In the meantime, just win tomorrow!
    Last edited by paintmered; 12-05-2014 at 07:58 PM.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

6. Likes:

texasdave (12-06-2014)

If they don't add more teams they should be forced to change their name.

But...Memphis?!
    Go Gators!

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    If they don't add more teams they should be forced to change their name.
    Big 10, Big 12... math, smath. Sometimes college is not about correct mathematics or that academic nonsense, Krono. It is about playing good football and bringing millions of revenue into the school. <kind of joking... unfortunately>
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

9. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-06-2014)

I always thought the Big 12 should have went hard after UC and Louisville after West Virginia joined.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

That'd be great for UC but I don't see it with Nippert being so small. Hope I'm wrong

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

I never really understood why they added WVU in the first place. No offense to WVU fans, but outside of football it's a geographical nightmare for any other sport.

Then again, it's probably better than adding SMU or Tulane.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

They might as well go ahead and add UCF and Houston as well.

UCF makes as much, or more sense as UC or Memphis.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Man oh man. How the college landscape has changed. Any rumors out there about bringing the old SWC back? LOL
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I never really understood why they added WVU in the first place. No offense to WVU fans, but outside of football it's a geographical nightmare for any other sport.

Then again, it's probably better than adding SMU or Tulane.
    I think part of getting in did is WVU spent a ton of money to upgrade what was needed. I know they spent a ton on the airport in Clarksburg which is like 45 min drive so everyone can fly in and out relatively quickly. Also who else really would have added more? Big 12 needed someone to keep the TV execs happy and I personally am very pleased with the partnership with Big 12... ITs 10,000,000 times better than the American and 100,000,000 times better than if we were allowed in to the ACC.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    This rumor comes from an ESPN announcer in the Nashville area. Take it FWIW.

According to a radio host in Nashville on 102.5 the game, the Big 12 — which does not currently have a championship game — is going to add two more teams in the offseason and, according to his information, those two teams will be Cincinnati and Memphis.

This, of course, isn’t Pat Forde or Pete Thamel reporting here. But it’s certainly fun to think about, isn’t it?

The Tigers won the American Athletic Conference this season, their first conference championship in football since 1971. Coach Justin Fuente has led one of the more impressive turnarounds in the country, taking the Tigers from 3-9 in 2013 to 9-3 just a year later.

“I’m being told that (FedEx CEO) Fred Smith has obviously opened up the checkbook and is helping ease this process along,” Darren McFarland said today on Sports Night.
    The only way this happens is if the commitee decides that there must be a championship game in order to get into the playoff and we could certainly do worse than Cincinnati.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

Well the Big 12 is definitely gonna be looking to add a couple of teams after today haha. Please take the Bearcats

Northern Illinois is another team being looked at.....
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Turn Off Ads?