Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you trade Bailey?

Would you trade Bailey?

With Homer Bailey's approaching arbitration and free agency, and with the hints that he may leave because he doesn't want to pitch at GABP, would you package him along with 1 or 2 minor leaguers to try to get G. Stanton? Stanton is not real happy in Miami. Would the Marlins even consider it?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would you trade Bailey?

If the Marlins are trading Stanton, they will be looking for cost controlled guys, not players just as they are about to get expensive. Cingrani/Stephensen/Chapman/Hamilton, etc. Those are the players they would target.

As far as trading Bailey... makes no sense to me. Reds trying to contend, have Arroyo leaving after season probably, health of Cueto. It's nice to have 6 options at the momeny (unless you really enjoyed Villareal that one time). We are talking about a guy who is projected to start some playoff games this year for the Reds.... and you want to trade him?

Different matter if Reds aren't contending. They are so keep the good players and try to win.

4. Likes:

mth123 (06-17-2013),Red in Chicago (06-17-2013)

For Jurickson Profar or Giancarlo Stanton, yes. Yes I would.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    For Jurickson Profar or Giancarlo Stanton, yes. Yes I would.
    I think those are both bad trades for Homer Bailey straight up.

Would you trade the last 3 seasons for 2006?

When one starts talking about trading starting pitching the Reds waited around for years for because of cost and then suggest they target a power hitter will lead you right to 2006... so cue up "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley if you want a full 2006 experience

8. Likes:

bigredmechanism (06-18-2013),Cursh14 (06-19-2013)

This is not a slight on you 40yr, but where do comments like this come from as it relates to free agency? Sure there's probably a statement where Homer has said pitching in GABP is tough, but has he or his agent come out and said they won't re-sign in Cincy because of GABP? Things like this get suggested and in time they become fact when no one really knows.

In answer to the question, no I would not trade him. A shot at the WS is way more important than maximizing value on a guy we don't even know is going to leave or not.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I guess we disagree then. If you can get a potential cost-controlled franchise offensive player in exchange for 1.5 years of a pitcher who is about to become very expensive, you have to do it IMO. I like Homer quite a bit, but no player is off-limits.

11. Likes:

m21eagle45 (06-18-2013),remdog (06-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    In answer to the question, no I would not trade him. A shot at the WS is way more important than maximizing value on a guy we don't even know is going to leave or not.
    I think Stanton (and probably Profar) increase the team's chances at winning a championship now and in the future.

I don't think I would consider trading him until next year. Maybe in the offseason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I'm open to it, but there is no current need at the major league level so pressing that it warrants trading away an effective 200+ inning pitcher.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

15. Likes:

mth123 (06-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'm open to it, but there is no current need at the major league level so pressing that it warrants trading away an effective 200+ inning pitcher.
    But if opportunity knocks (in the form of Stanton or Profar) don't you have to consider it? The assumption in this scenario would be that Texas or Miami doesn't want to wait around until the off-season to acquire Bailey. After all, the Reds would still have 4 proven major league SP (Cueto, Latos, Arroyo, Leake) as well as Cingrani to take Homer's spot. The prospect of slotting Profar in at SS or Stanton into RF is just too tempting to me. Perhaps that's why my GM applications keep getting rejected.

I say this, mind you, knowing full well that Miami and Texas would ask for a lot more than Bailey for either of those players.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I think Stanton (and probably Profar) increase the team's chances at winning a championship now and in the future.
    It's funny because this is the exact same reason I would not trade Homer for 1 offensive player (injury prone and terrible on defense in Stanton's case, and young and inexperienced in Profar's). I think trading Homer away right now is the equal of trading away any shot at a WS this year unless there was a corresponding move for a TOR starter.

Homer is entering his prime right now. He is excellent and getting better. With how much Cueto has been on the DL this season the reds cannot afford to trade Homer away. This would be a horrific mistake in my opinion. Go back and look at championship teams, you will notice one similarity across the board - excellent starting pitching.

18. Likes:

mth123 (06-17-2013)

The Marlins are not going to trade Stanton for a player who is less than 2 years away from being a free agent.

Profar is an interesting thought though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Homer is entering his prime right now. He is excellent and getting better. With how much Cueto has been on the DL this season the reds cannot afford to trade Homer away. This would be a horrific mistake in my opinion. Go back and look at championship teams, you will notice one similarity across the board - excellent starting pitching.
    In 2012, Giancarlo Stanton was a 5-win player. He is cost-controlled through the rest of the Reds current window. He solves the Reds lineup problem behind Votto for the foreseeable future. He would be a monster between Votto and Bruce, hitting in GABP.

I've discussed Profar at length in another thread on this topic -- but he's a rare commodity I think you have to jump at if you have the chance. He's a 20 year-old SS who can actually hit and play defense. Those are the kinds of players you deal 200+ IP workhorses for -- especially if they are about to hit free agency. He makes our incessant Cozart threads on RZ go away instantly.

I think either Profar or Stanton would make up for the loss of Bailey in other ways.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Stanton for Bailey straight up would he high way robbery for the Reds, and I'm in the "do not trade Bailey while we are contending" camp.

That trade would never be done by the Marlins.

BTW, didn't we just have a thread about trading Bailey?
    Last edited by PuffyPig; 06-17-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Turn Off Ads?