Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you loooooong for shorter games?

Re: Do you loooooong for shorter games?

All depends on who's winning.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think the average national league game of about 2:50 is about right. I have to admit I have lost any enthusiasm for instant reply on every play. I thought the NBA playoffs were ridiculous when they would review every out of bounds call in the last 5 minutes. If they reviewed every tag out play the games would definitely go to 4 hours.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Players are taking more pitches than ever before. Over a game, that adds up. Add in the modern bullpen and commercials and you are probably looking at 25 minutes right there.

Once a player steps in the box, he should not be allowed to step out until his AB is over. And the pitcher can't leave the mound until then, either.

Catcher gets 10 seconds on conference, period.

No reason for the mgr to walk to mound to pull a pitcher. Do football coaches go out to the huddle to pull a player? Do bball coaches go out on the court?
    I know John McGraw did it, but a lot has changed in 90 years, why not this too?

The game is a tedious. Pretty sad when m multitasking and/or DVRing are the only ways to get through it.

Does anyone know the time between innings before TV?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Does anyone know the time between innings before TV?
    For a locally televised game it's 2:05 IRC. It couldn't have been that much different in 1940. I think a lot of the difference is pitching changes, LOOGYs etc.

I agree with other posters that the all the stepping off the mound and batter's box gets annoying.

I love to watch the Reds, but if we are behind in a game, it can get irritating to watch the visitor's half of an inning (even if the Reds are pitching well).

I would like to limit the batter to stepping out of the box twice per at bat.
    If he steps out anymore than that, he gets a strike called.
    Hopefully, players will then only step out at most once per at bat, and save the second time for contact lense emergency, etc.

I would like a clock on the pitcher. He is required to throw the ball within a certain time limit. I think there might actually be a rule on this, and it's just not enforced.
    Pitcher takes too long, a ball is called. Maybe allow for the catcher to occcasionally visit the mound and other stuff.. but man.. I have left the room with the game on at times, because the action just totally slows down. It bothers me more than the commerical breaks.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I think the pitching changes are big part also, which is why a reliever ought to get 2 throws only. He's already warmed up...

I think the pitching changes are big part also, which is why a reliever ought to get 2 throws only. He's already warmed up...
    yep

The game's length doesn't bother me, it is all the wasted time during the game that annoys me.

Another vote for this. The Giants brought a bunch of different relievers in during the 4.5ish hour game on Wednesday. I know it went to extra innings, but when we see three or four pitchers in an inning, I don't want to see them each warming up on the mound for 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer&Bourbon View Post
    Another vote for this. The Giants brought a bunch of different relievers in during the 4.5ish hour game on Wednesday. I know it went to extra innings, but when we see three or four pitchers in an inning, I don't want to see them each warming up on the mound for 10 minutes.
    The first nine innings lasted about 4 hours.. It was a long game regardless of the extra innings.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

I have no issues with the lengths of the games. I love the fact that the clock does not determine the outcome of the game. That's one reason baseball is so much better than the NBA and the NFL or that flop sport soccer where they end in draws. HUHHH!??

If this means the pitchers speed through lineups and the game ends in 2hrs; so be it. If it means the batters can't get a run across the plate in 18 innings. So be it. Maybe I am more patient than others, or it's because I roll with the punches. I just don't see any point in complaining about the time.

Being a baseball fan, you should know it is never set in time. Going to a game, you should be aware, you may not make it home in time for bed.

Longer games are more enjoyable at the ballpark. When I go to a game, I watch the actual play, converse with others, take piss breaks, walk around sometimes, enjoy BP, etc.

TV is a different story, just turn the TV off and check the box score tomorrow.
    Love water cooler conversations. "Did you see Bailey's no hitter last night?!" ..."No man, I turned it off and went to bed." Then you laugh at yourself. Good memories.

OP, nice title by the way.
    Last edited by nismoredlegs; 07-05-2013 at 03:35 PM.
    "Why you going to the Airport; flying somewhere?"

Baseball has been roughly the same game for decades, that's why I love it. Baseball doesn't add three point lines or make it harder to defend a receiver... the game today is the same game Babe Ruth played.

This isn't football where physical dominance is the most important attribute for a player. Baseball requires a lot of thinking and strategy, pitcher vs batter especially. If a pitcher has to take another five seconds to get prepared to throw a pitch, I don't care. Imagine a full count, bases loaded, tied ballgame in the ninth inning. Crowd is going crazy. The pitcher is shaking off signs and then suddenly, the umpire decided the pitcher has taken too long and calls ball four. The winning run crosses the plate without a ball ever being thrown. I know this happens occasionally because of balks, but I still feel that's pretty cheap. It's supposed to be about the pitcher vs the batter and then suddenly it's about the pitcher vs the clock.

In a world that's becoming more and more fast paced every year, I don't think baseball should change its ways.

16. Likes:

RedlegJake (07-06-2013)

Stat geek...and proud

I like baseball. Why would I want less of it?

Turn Off Ads?