Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minor League Updates: Thursday 6/20/2013

Re: Minor League Updates: Thursday 6/20/2013

In early AZL action: Cory Thompson is now 2-2, Jose Fernandez is also 2-2, and Kevin Garcia is 1-1 with a 3 run bomb.

Also the seemingly now healthy Jeremy Kivel has pitched 2 innings of no run baseball.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ervin is 1-for-2 with a single, walk, and HBP so far.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

I see Ronald Bueno is back. To quote myself from last year: Bueno is good.

Quote Originally Posted by PepperJack View Post
    Amir Garrett so far: 5 IP 1 unearned run, with 6 ks and just 1 bb. I hope he quits basketball soon.
    They had Amir on the pregame show, and he said he is going to play both sports as long as possible. Or words to that effect.
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

6. Likes:

PepperJack (06-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    They had Amir on the pregame show, and he said he is going to play both sports as long as possible. Or words to that effect.

I can understand him wanting to live the dream as long as possible. But from everything I've read baseball seems to be where his future is.

He has, I think two years left before he has to make his mind up, because I doubt the Reds would put up with him pursuing basketball professionally.

It really is just a tease what his talent could be if he pitched full time. He might even be in Dayton right now.

Can anyone comment on Alberti Chavez? OPS'd .743 last year in the DSL as a 16 yo.

I was at the Billings game tonight, lots of fun. I think they said it was the 2nd largest crowd ever.

Garret looked really good. Looked like he was throwing mostly fastballs, but the hitters couldn't quite catch up to it. A few of the hits off of him would have been outs with better defensive players. Needs to work on his composure IMO, you could see him get rattled on occasion.

I don't know much about him, but I really liked watching Ty Washington play. Seems like a pretty good defender, and a nice little slap hitter. I think he could be a player someday.

Ervin has a great plate approach. Waits for the pitch he wants, and then goes after it. Played pretty solid in the outfield, although he was never really challenged. He won't be in Billings for very long...I don't think Garrett will either.

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-21-2013), klw (06-21-2013), texasdave (06-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Can anyone comment on Alberti Chavez? OPS'd .743 last year in the DSL as a 16 yo.
    I found this blurb on Baseball America:

Alberti Chavez, 15, is a 5-foot-9 Venezuelan shortstop with good hands, a solid-average arm and a contact-oriented swing from the right side.

Quote Originally Posted by kearns and dunn View Post
    I don't know much about him, but I really liked watching Ty Washington play. Seems like a pretty good defender, and a nice little slap hitter. I think he could be a player someday.
    I am a Ty Washington fan. Real athletic kid. Good bat speed. Not a ton of size, but he has some real tools.

DSL Reds nipped the DSL Diamondbacks by a score of 6-5.

Starter Junior Arias struck out seven in his five innings on the hill. He allowed two runs, just one earned, on four hits and a walk.
    Josue Castellano earned the save by striking out five in two innings.

Miguel Mendez singled, doubled, scored once and pushed his average up to .352.
    Hector Vargas was perfect at the dish with a walk, two singles and a double. He scored twice and is hitting .348.
    Jose de Luna singled and doubled in four at-bats.

DSL Reds 6 DSL Diamondbacks 5.

Great start by the short season clubs. Excellent starting by two interesting arms and a lot of baserunners out of what look like pretty athletic lineups. Add Matthews, who's super athletic -- though a little old for the level -- to that Billings OF and you've got the potential for some exciting offensive nights in Montana.

What a game for Cory Thompson in the leadoff spot for the AZL Reds. On base 4 times with a couple HBP, 3 runs scored and two errors at SS. Active. Looking forward to seeing how Kevin Franklin works into that lineup and infield.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Junior Arias went 2-for-4 with his 8th HR of the season tonight for Dayton. He's starting to become intriguing. He had an awful April (.185/.233/.321 - .554 OPS) but has since followed it up with a .322/.347/.478 - .825 OPS in May, and .321/.356/.589 - .945 OPS in June entering tonight, and that will go up after tonight's game. He has a long, long way to go in the BB/K department but he's only 21.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Starter Junior Arias struck out seven in his five innings on the hill. He allowed two runs, just one earned, on four hits and a walk.
    Hold up, the Reds have two Junior Arias'? 'The hell are the odds of that?
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Hold up, the Reds have two Junior Arias'? 'The hell are the odds of that?
    I wish they had two Joey Vottos; no matter how much they had to spend on fancy coffee.

17. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-21-2013)

Nothing great, but some video from Billings Gazette.

Garrett K at 0:47
    Ervin's RBI single at 1:03

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/ba...a077263fb.html

Turn Off Ads?