Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Madman Season 6

Re: Madman Season 6

yea I'm gonna guess Don doesn't turn into some type of hero.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't need a redemption story. I just wanted him to realize that he wasn't perfect and look at what being honest for the first time in his life got him, relief.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Couple of things that make madmen cool that you may have missed last night

This was the first episode where no one was seen smoking. Matt Weiner says thats important.

Hershey was the most coveted business account in 1968 behind Chevy in 1968. Ogilvy & Mather is who got there business and it lasted 30 plus years. It was Ogilvy & Mather first major account.

The last screen shot of Peggy is the same screen shot we saw the first time Don Draper was in his office. Its also the same shot on the cover art of Madmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Who knows. Weiner is a Sopranos alum and that show preached that how many life changing experiences you go through, people don't change. As many experiences Don has gone through - including a near-death one this year - he really hasn't changed.
    Good observation, but what does that really mean for this show? Which Don is the Don that doesn't change? the kid who grew up in the *****house? the scared/cowardly soldier? the laid back Dick Whitman we saw in California? the eager fur coat salesman? the self-interested creative director of a New York ad agency?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Good observation, but what does that really mean for this show? Which Don is the Don that doesn't change? the kid who grew up in the *****house? the scared/cowardly soldier? the laid back Dick Whitman we saw in California? the eager fur coat salesman? the self-interested creative director of a New York ad agency?
    One could say they are all the same person. Take little Dick Whitman for instance. He lost his virginity to a hooker who had a beauty mark on her face and mothered him back to health. Flash forward to the late 50s where he did the oatmeal ad where the mother had a beauty mark on her face. Go forward several more years and he has an affair with Sylvia who has that beauty mark on her face and is a mother.

The scared/cowardly soldier? Don's first instinct when things go off the rails for him is to either run and/or creates something new out of the ashes. When Pete told him he know he was really Dick Whitman, his first instinct was to run away with Rachel Menken. She realized that he was a coward and dumped him. The Brits plan to sell Sterling-Cooper to McCann-Erickson, Don runs from that - which was a pretty brave thing - and creates a new agency. Don can't get Chevy so he merges with CGC to create another agency.

Laid-back Dick? We still see it from time to time. It's usually when he goes out to California.

The eager fur-coat salesman? We see that most every time he's pitching an ad to a client or potential client. Or we see it when he gets involved with a woman.

Self interested creative director? We saw that in spades all season. One could say that every time he does something big, it's in his interests only. They may turn out for the best but he doesn't do it for anyone but himself. He and the rest of Sterling-Cooper would have been fine working for Duck but Don - and to a lesser extent, Duck himself - blew that up. He would have been fine working for McCann-Erickson but he thought he would be better off starting another agency. Not anyone else but himself. The merger, the firing of Jaguar, trying to move out to California, having the Hershey account go up in flames, showing up at the office and meetings wherever and whenever he feels like it. Almost everything he does is in his own self-interest.

As for what's going to happen next season, only Weiner knows. I could see them fast forward in the last episode ala Six Feet Under and show Don through the years until he dies in the 80s or 90s but that would be a blatant rip-off of SFU and I think Weiner would want to put his own stamp on the series. If I were a betting man, I would say that the last we see of Don will be similar to what we saw of Don in the first episode but perhaps some of his foibles will be muted somewhat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I am guessing they jump ahead to 1971. 71 is a very interesting year in advertising and business in general.

This season was a bit of a waste, IMO. They should have had the final episode occur more towards the midway point.

I've always thought the opening credit falling man was an omen.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (07-15-2013)

I've never seen the show (I will I promise). I've been a big fan of Elizabeth Moss since she was on the west wing. I assume she's awesome?

I've never seen the show (I will I promise). I've been a big fan of Elizabeth Moss since she was on the west wing. I assume she's awesome?
    Yes, she is amazing.

Turn Off Ads?