Turn Off Ads?
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 283435363738

Thread: The Burying of Devin Mesoraco

Re: The Burying of Devin Mesoraco

Of the 33 catchers with 200+ PA, Mesoraco's .303 wOBA ranks 21st. Interestingly (to me), there are just 5 catchers between Russell Martin's respectable .339 (12th) and Ryan Doumit's poor .307 (18th).
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Mes' OPS the last 28 days is .832...amazing how many Debbie Downers there are on here.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I think the average for catchers is around .750. Catcher isn't a premier offensive position. Mesoraco can get by at .700.
    Average OPS for MLB catchers in 2013 is .706

With regular playing time, Mes would at minimum be at league average at a small salary for the next few seasons. Reds pitching staff excelled with him at the helm in Hanigan's absence.

5. Likes:

AmarilloRed (08-13-2013),Redeyecat (08-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    Mes' OPS the last 28 days is .832...amazing how many Debbie Downers there are on here.
    Yep, Mez has made the most of his chances to play recently. He's clearly turned the corner and has a lot of upside. I'm thrilled with how Mez has played this year, and excited about his career.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I would really like to see Mesoraco hit clean up vs lefties. He's crushing them this season.

.339 | .423 | .516 | .939

It seemed like Mesoraco was doing something a little different in stance lately. Looked at a game in May and one in August. His hands are definitely a lot higher now than they were. He would always drop them to chest level before pitch. Now he starts above head and brings them down a little bit but never below shoulders.

Maybe Jacoby should actually get credit for an adjustment for once. Maybe Mesoraco did it on his own who knows? Seems to have really brought out the power in his game. If I was good at stuff like that I would love to see them side by side.

9. Likes:

Always Red (08-14-2013),CySeymour (08-14-2013),defender (08-18-2013),HeatherC1212 (08-14-2013),REDREAD (08-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    It seemed like Mesoraco was doing something a little different in stance lately. Looked at a game in May and one in August. His hands are definitely a lot higher now than they were. He would always drop them to chest level before pitch. Now he starts above head and brings them down a little bit but never below shoulders.

Maybe Jacoby should actually get credit for an adjustment for once. Maybe Mesoraco did it on his own who knows? Seems to have really brought out the power in his game. If I was good at stuff like that I would love to see them side by side.
    There did seem to be a period where he had less than warning track power.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Maybe Jacoby should actually get credit for an adjustment for once.
    I'm sorry, we can't allow that here at RZ.
    sorry we're boring

12. Likes:

REDREAD (08-14-2013),reds44 (08-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    I am not being a debbie downer...I am just not ready to sing his praises yet.

Hanigan off the interstate.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Hanigan off the interstate.
    1 game....595 OPS now...yeah...probably should play everyday now...He should catch one of our pitchers and go back to doing what he does best: being the best backup catcher in MLB.

Bum

16. Likes:

RedEye (08-18-2013)

Turn Off Ads?