Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 405 of 566

Thread: The Burying of Devin Mesoraco

  1. #391
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: The Burying of Devin Mesoraco

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    It's not 2 games:

    In the first game of Tuesday’s doubleheader against the Giants, Mesoraco went 3-for-4 with two singles and a three-run homer in a victory. It was his second straight three-hit contest and second straight night with a longball. Over the last 15 games, Mesoraco is sporting a .308 batting mark with three dingers.

    Bum
    In the 12 games prior to the Mon/Tues outburst, his line was .244/.304/.366 with 1 HR and 4 RBI in 46 PAs. It is pretty much an open ended 2 game sample.
    Last edited by edabbs44; 07-24-2013 at 09:25 AM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #392
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    CHATTANOOGA, TN USA
    Posts
    310

    Re: The Burying of Devin Mesoraco

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Not negative, grounded. IMO, insinuations that prior struggles are related to a perceived lack of opportunity are pretty aggressive, especially when we are talking about a two game sample.
    In the month of July he is OPS at a .954 clip. He's been hot for a few weeks. He may turn back into a pumpkin in August, but let's hope his potential at the plate is starting to come on and we have a legit RH bat in the back third of our lineup.

    THis and Ludwick coming back (hopefully) could be the fuel we need to jump start our offense and zoom ahead of the pack in NL Central.

  4. Likes:

    REDREAD (07-24-2013), Stingray (07-24-2013)

  5. #393
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,415

    Re: The Burying of Devin Mesoraco

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    In the 12 games prior to the Mon/Tues outburst, his line was .244/.304/.366 with 1 HR and 4 RBI in 46 PAs. It is pretty much an open ended 2 game sample.
    Whatever fits your argument...

  6. #394
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: The Burying of Devin Mesoraco

    Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan View Post
    In the month of July he is OPS at a .954 clip. He's been hot for a few weeks. He may turn back into a pumpkin in August, but let's hope his potential at the plate is starting to come on and we have a legit RH bat in the back third of our lineup.

    THis and Ludwick coming back (hopefully) could be the fuel we need to jump start our offense and zoom ahead of the pack in NL Central.
    Month of July for Devin: .349/.396/.558 in 48 PAs
    Last 40 PAs for Cozart: .351/.359/.568

    More fuel, right? Right?

    Look, I know there is a difference between Mesoraco and Cozart at this time. But we are also talking about a 2 game explosion added to more recent mediocrity from Devin. Monster 10 PA samples can greatly skew slightly larger samples due to the still relatively small size of the overall sample. Looking at it objectively, Devin just annhilated 2 pitchers who were generally annhilated by everyone on the team, including Cozart, Frazier and Robinson. I know everyone has spent a lot of time and energy promoting Devin for a long time, and blaming a number of external forces for Devin's struggles to this point. And this could truly be the true beginning of Devin's breakout. But let's wait and see a little bit...it could just as easily be just a real good 2 game span.

  7. #395
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,255

    Re: The Burying of Devin Mesoraco

    Mesoraco has a .730 OPS on the season.


    What's with the need to tear him down, edabbs? He's getting consistent playing time and he's hitting better. Could it be a coincidence? Sure, but I have hope it's not.
    Last edited by reds44; 07-24-2013 at 10:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  8. Likes:

    Raisor (07-24-2013), Stingray (07-24-2013)

  9. #396
    Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Posts
    6,410

    Re: The Burying of Devin Mesoraco

    Hey edabbs44, I'll bet ya that Mesoraco keeps his OPS over 700 for the rest of the season. If I'm right, will you change your user title to "Devil's Advocate"?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

  10. #397
    It's showtime! RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    7,939

    Re: The Burying of Devin Mesoraco

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Mesoraco has a .730 OPS on the season.


    What's with the need to tear him down, edabbs? He's getting consitent playing time and he's hitting better. Could it be a coincidence? Sure, but I have hope it's not.
    Yep. "Struggling" to league average production. Above average for a catcher alrwady and has room to improve, too.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

  11. #398
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,811

    Re: The Burying of Devin Mesoraco

    Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    What evidence do we have that he is "emerging"? That he has a couple of good games in overall offensive routs? On Sunday his OpS stood at .671. In the month of July on Sunday his OPS stood at .695 with a .360 babip. In the 30 days prior to Sunday he had a .598 OPS. In the time that Hanigan got hurt to Sunday, when Devin theoretically knew he wouldn't need to worry about not playing tomorrow, his OPS was .598.

    Two games is a start, not an emergence. He appears to have the talent. But let's not get hysterical because of his pedigree or because this is what the Reds could really use or this is totally what we want on a personal level.
    So when Devin has limited playing time and doesn't hit well, you claim (or have claimed), he's not making the most of his opportunities and therefore doesn't deserve more playing time. Now, he's hitting quite well and you're still seemingly saying he hasn't show much or earned anything (this despite him outplaying Hanigan on the season in more PAs).

    So which is it? Your logic has been inconsistent.

  12. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (07-24-2013)

  13. #399
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: The Burying of Devin Mesoraco

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Mesoraco has a .730 OPS on the season.


    What's with the need to tear him down, edabbs? He's getting consistent playing time and he's hitting better. Could it be a coincidence? Sure, but I have hope it's not.
    I'm not sure that I am tearing him down. Quite often we use logic on this board to understand what we are truly seeing on the field. I don't see how, logically, we can talk about a two game span as an emergence, evidence that he has gained confidence in himself or his role, or that this is linked to a perceived opportunity that he is currently receiving.

    I know this will probably be received with mixed emotions here, but it seems like there are certain situations on this board where some will beat you to death with stats and then other situations involving other players where we don't need to do that. If my introduction of the fact that Devin's two game SF explosion is materially skewing his numbers, then I apologize. But in a 200 PA sample, 2 games like that will make a huge difference and I'm not sure that we can truly say that he is on his way to a 750 OPS, 660 OPS, or something else.

    I just find it odd that some want to link these two games directly to some sort of opportunity, insinuating that this would've been all season long if he played 5 times per week. Just seems way illogical for me.
    Last edited by edabbs44; 07-24-2013 at 12:21 PM.

  14. #400
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: The Burying of Devin Mesoraco

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    So when Devin has limited playing time and doesn't hit well, you claim (or have claimed), he's not making the most of his opportunities and therefore doesn't deserve more playing time. Now, he's hitting quite well and you're still seemingly saying he hasn't show much or earned anything (this despite him outplaying Hanigan on the season in more PAs).

    So which is it? Your logic has been inconsistent.
    He has had a monster two game span where he has hit more than quite well. My logic is that he will need to do more than blow up in two games where many hitters in the lineup blew up before I believe that we are witnessing anything more than just that.

  15. #401
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,898

    Re: The Burying of Devin Mesoraco

    Code:
    	AVG	OBP	SLG	wOBA
    Mes	.258	.326	.405	.313
    BP	.262	.313	.406	.311
    If only Mes could learn to be clutch, people would fawn over him.

    As for BP, he better be grateful that he's tearing it up with runners on base, because otherwise people might realize that he's having the worst season of his career.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  16. Likes:

    dougdirt (07-24-2013), RedEye (07-24-2013)

  17. #402
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,795

    Re: The Burying of Devin Mesoraco

    Just because a guys best 2 games just happened doesn't mean you can't count them.

    Mes is a .730 OPS bat for the season, and is trending up. What is there to argue on that?

  18. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (07-24-2013), Bumstead (07-24-2013), HeatherC1212 (07-24-2013), kfm (07-25-2013), Old school 1983 (07-24-2013), OnBaseMachine (07-24-2013), Raisor (07-24-2013), RedEye (07-24-2013), reds44 (07-24-2013), Revering4Blue (07-24-2013)

  19. #403
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: The Burying of Devin Mesoraco

    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Hey edabbs44, I'll bet ya that Mesoraco keeps his OPS over 700 for the rest of the season. If I'm right, will you change your user title to "Devil's Advocate"?
    So all he would need to do is hit about .650 OPS for the rest of the season? Not sure if that is any great achievement.

  20. #404
    Box of Frogs edabbs44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    16,296

    Re: The Burying of Devin Mesoraco

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Just because a guys best 2 games just happened doesn't mean you can't count them.

    Mes is a .730 OPS bat for the season, and is trending up. What is there to argue on that?
    Of course you have to count them, but I'm not sure that we should feel any different about him than we did 48 hours ago, when he was sitting at .671.

  21. #405
    Member VR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    8,552

    Re: The Burying of Devin Mesoraco

    Very promising progress, I'm pleased to see it.

    Start taking the outside pitches to right instead of pounding them into the dirt to the left side.....and we'll have a well above average catcher for many years.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25