Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Burying of Devin Mesoraco

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

The Burying of Devin Mesoraco

Fangraphs takes a look at the handling of Devin Mesoraco.

Mesoraco’s ship may not have sailed exactly, but his star has dimmed considerably, and while he hasn’t hit well, he hasn’t been given a proper chance either. This isn’t to say that Mesoraco is a diamond in the rough. Playing time guarantees nothing — we need to look no further than Jesus Montero to see that. But Montero was at least given a real opportunity to succeed or fail. It’s true that the Mariners and Reds are in different situations, but given the fact that Hanigan is pumping a putrid 51 wRC+, the Reds really don’t have anything to lose at this point. Perhaps Mesoraco wasn’t deserving of his top prospect sheen, but given how Cincinnati has buried him behind Hanigan, we can’t really say that we know for sure.

2. Likes:

DocRed (07-23-2013),Old NDN (06-28-2013),Old school 1983 (06-22-2013),RedEye (06-21-2013),Redeyecat (06-22-2013),Stingray (06-21-2013),texasdave (06-21-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Burying of Devin Mesoraco

Sounds like a Tommy Lee Jones movie title. Thanks for the link!

His arm concerns me. That probably is one reason.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Is the other Mesaraco thread over 1,000 posts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

7. Likes:

Always Red (06-21-2013),jimbo (06-21-2013),RadfordVA (06-21-2013),remdog (06-21-2013),westofyou (06-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Sounds like a Tommy Lee Jones movie title. Thanks for the link!
    Off-topic: The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (which Jones directed) is a good movie.

On-topic: I wonder how much Devin/Mes/Mez/Rocco's playing time will increase as the season goes on. I think he's being used appropriately now because I don't have the most confidence in his arm. He's obviously betting at the plate than Hanigan (even taking Hanigan's injury into consideration), but he's nowhere near Hanigan's level at defense.

9. Likes:

Kiko (06-21-2013),Red Raindog (06-21-2013),remdog (06-21-2013)

He hasn't really shown much to show he deserves the majority of the playing time in my opinion. I understand Hanigan is terrible on offense, but until Mesoraco forces Dusty to make the change by proving himself I do not think it is that big of a deal.

I look at it this way:

Hanigan:

Offense: completely awful
    Defense: elite

Mesoraco:

Offense: mediocre at best
    Defense: medocre

Until Rocco proves otherwise I don't think this is a big deal.

I'm okay with slow and low for Mesoraco.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I'm okay with slow and low for Mesoraco.
    I'm okay with slow and low as long that is the tempo

13. Likes:

Bob Sheed (06-22-2013),edabbs44 (06-21-2013),OGB (07-03-2013)

Starting two out of five games is buried? Riiiight.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Starting two out of five games is buried? Riiiight.
    For the top prospect at his position in all of baseball, 40% playing time from the very beginning of his career is absolutely burying him. He is now nearly a year and a half into his career and the only time he has started more than two games in a row is when Ryan Hanigan went on the DL.

16. Likes:

Bumstead (06-26-2013),Redeyecat (06-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Is the other Mesaraco thread over 1,000 posts?
    If we want to play that game why not just start 40 threads. One for each player on the roster. Then every post goes in one of those?

18. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (06-21-2013),Bob Sheed (06-22-2013),OGB (07-03-2013),REDblooded (06-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If we want to play that game why not just start 40 threads. One for each player on the roster. Then every post goes in one of those?
    If it will thin out the Free Devin posts then I vote yes

20. Likes:

Brutus (06-27-2013),Chip R (06-21-2013),jimbo (06-21-2013),Joseph (07-04-2013),Puffy (06-21-2013),RadfordVA (06-21-2013),remdog (06-21-2013),TSJ55 (06-25-2013),Wonderful Monds (06-21-2013)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Then he should have been drafted by another organization if he wanted the full time catcher's job.

Reds did this with Ramon Hernandez and Hanigan and it worked out great. I like the catching platoon way of doing things. Keeps catchers fresh. And if one goes down with injury you're not really missing a beat by playing the other one full time 'til the injured one comes back.

This is a whole lot of something about nothing.

22. Likes:

remdog (06-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Then he should have been drafted by another organization if he wanted the full time catcher's job.
    Players don't really get to choose who drafts them or how they are handled.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    For the top prospect at his position in all of baseball, 40% playing time from the very beginning of his career is absolutely burying him. He is now nearly a year and a half into his career and the only time he has started more than two games in a row is when Ryan Hanigan went on the DL.
    I can care less what kind of prospect he is, he still has to earn it instead of it being given to him based on potential. Whether you agree with it or not, the Reds brass doesn't think he has as of yet.

And I disagree, starting 40% of his team's games is not being buried on the bench.

25. Likes:

Joseph (07-04-2013),remdog (06-21-2013)

Turn Off Ads?