Turn Off Ads?
Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: The Burying of Devin Mesoraco

Re: The Burying of Devin Mesoraco

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/mlb/baseball

Ryan Hanigan (wrist) won't be activated from the disabled list on Thursday as originally hoped.
    Hanigan overdid it while swinging on Sunday. It doesn't look like a significant setback, as he could return as soon as Friday.
    Source: John Fay on Twitter
    He hasn't swung the bat all season, why do it while he's hurt...based on some of these responses I would have expected Hanigan to be practicing calling pitches...Because despite the fact that the pitching has been the same or batter with Mes catching, Hanigan is clearly the better pitch caller...

2. Turn Off Ads?

But Hanigan was just as responsible for Homer Bailey's no hitter as Homer Bailey!

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    In that one answer, Price identified why Mesoraco had not been the starting catcher prior to this year ---> Not always knowing what pitch to call based on the strength of the pitcher, weakness of the batter and the situation. Low confidence.

He said he's been terrific in his improvement this year. Is he improved enough to keep the job when Hanigan returns healthy? I don't know. That's their decision.

Everyone in this thread wants to look at hitting, hitting, hitting. My point all along has been that the evidence shows the Reds don't look at it that way. They are concerned with other things at that position.
    But the pitches are called from the dugout. RedsZone told me so.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

5. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (07-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Redszone also drained the milk and put the empty carton back in the fridge, plus Redszone also almost always leaves the seat up.

7. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (07-25-2013)

"Kenny: "Bit of a surprise here, Bill. You throw this right out at us: Ryan Hanigan of the Cincinnati Reds. Why Hanigan?"

James: "With Ben Zobrist, those two are the most underrated players in baseball. I mean, Hanigan's on-base percentage is not only good, it's very, very good. He's hit .260, .270 or better every year of his career. He walks a lot. He throws extremely well. The Cincinnati Reds' ERA with Hanigan catching last year was 3.04; when he wasn't catching, it was up around 3.8. Maybe Ben Zobrist is the most underrated player in baseball, but Ryan Hanigan may be the most underrated player in baseball."

Bill James 2/13

9. Likes:

mdccclxix (07-25-2013), wlf WV (07-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    And if you paid attention, they also said that if the pitcher shakes off the first call, it is then up to the catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    And if you paid attention, they also said that if the pitcher shakes off the first call, it is then up to the catcher.
    Pitches are not called from the bench. Not the first call. Not the second call. Quit posting this. Catchers are responsible for calling *all* of their pitches.

If you were watching last night, you saw a pickoff move called from the bench. That and pitchouts calls are what come frome the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Pitches are not called from the bench. Not the first call. Not the second call. Quit posting this. Catchers are responsible for calling *all* of their pitches.

If you were watching last night, you saw a pickoff move called from the bench. That and pitchouts calls are what come frome the bench.
    I actually didn't watch last night.

I also don't know if the pitches are or are not called from the bench. I do know that someone once upon a time linked to an article that quoted Dusty Baker saying they were.

I also don't know if the pitches are or are not called from the bench. I do know that someone once upon a time linked to an article that quoted Dusty Baker saying they were.
    This argument is officially over. Now, lets fight about something else.

14. Likes:

Big Klu (07-26-2013)

So the bench calls the game, the pitcher calls the game AND the catcher calls the game? Next thing we know, the umpires will be calling the game.

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Beavis?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Beavis?
    And Butthead.

Sorry, I have the attention span of a goldfish. Thank you for correcting me.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...T04/307250164/

Reds manager Dusty Baker wasn't quite ready to make Mesoraco the full-time catcher. Ryan Hanigan will get significant playing time when he returns from the disabled list.

"Hanigan is still going to get in there," Baker said. "There are certain teams that don't run when Hanigan's in there. There are certain guys that throw well to him. I'm fortunate to have a veteran guy and a guy that's on the way and learning.

"Someday, the job is going to be Meso's. It's just not now."

Whether this means that Hanigan is going back to the 60% catcher or if it just means Mesoraco isn't going to get 80% of the starts, I don't know. I think it means Hanigan goes back to being the 60% guy, but I guess we will find out.

^ Not that much differently than the way Dusty handled the Rolen-to-Frazier transition.

Turn Off Ads?