Turn Off Ads?
Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 LastLast

Thread: The Burying of Devin Mesoraco

Re: The Burying of Devin Mesoraco

With an offday Monday and Thursday this week, I'm playing Rocco tomorrow.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Yep. He's the best medicine this lineup has had in a LONG time. What a welcome addition a reliable, powerful RH catcher would be, eh? Talk about killing two birds with one stone!

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post

He should, he has caught all of Leakes's starts this season.

So far he has been "Meh"soraco for me since he got to the bigs. He's showing the first glimpse of stardom at the plate, and improving behind the dish as well.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    So far he has been "Meh"soraco for me since he got to the bigs. He's showing the first glimpse of stardom at the plate, and improving behind the dish as well.
    Strange how talented young players start to show things when they get consistent playing time huh?

7. Likes:

HokieRed (08-04-2013), Larkin Fan (08-04-2013), LexRedsFan (08-04-2013), membengal (08-04-2013), RedEye (08-04-2013), Redeyecat (08-04-2013), reds44 (08-04-2013), redsfanmia (08-04-2013), smixsell (08-04-2013), Stingray (08-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Strange how talented young players start to show things when they get consistent playing time huh?
    That's a poor excuse. There have been thousands of young players prove themselves in the majors before ever being given "consistent" playing time. Frankly, Mesoraco has been getting a fair amount of time for a couple of months. He's just now finally starting to click. He had 60 PAs in June, which is a fair amount for a catcher, and he had only a .612 OPS to show for it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

9. Likes:

JohnCocktoasten (08-04-2013)

Funny, I've been thinking the exact opposite when I look at Frazier and Cozart this year. And Mes was at .698 before last night's big game, I believe.

I think the one thing that can be said about giving most young players (not talking Mike Trout) consistent playing time is that the result is unpredictable.

But Mes has some good attributes, power and plate discipline, so hope he starts to hit steadily now.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-04-2013 at 05:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Funny, I've been thinking the exact opposite when I look at Frazier and Cozart this year. And Mes was at .698 before last night's big game, I believe.

I think the one thing that can be said about giving most young players (not talking Mike Trout) consistent playing time is that the result is unpredictable.

But Mes has some good attributes, power and plate discipline, so hope he starts to hit steadily now.

In fairness he did say "talented" young players.

But in the case of Frazier the team very likely is getting what they should have expected, not hoped for mined you, but expected all the same. Minus some pop, and perhaps a little average.

Frazier seemed to have hit a wall at AAA. In his two seasons there his stat lines were:258/333/448, and 260/340/467. So his current numbers are about what could be expected, give or take the already mentioned uptick in slug%.

As for Cozart, he never was one to walk much as his AA numbers for BB% stand out like a sore thumb. http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=cozart001zac

The Reds have shown that defense is first priority there, so they are likely willing to live with his offense, hopefully staying lower in the lineup.

While Mesoraco is still also significantly younger than both Frazier and Cozart as well, he also trended up throughout his minor league career. At least for his time through 2010, and into AA/AAA.

But I do fully agree that all players are unpredictable, especially the younger ones. Also that minor league numbers don't always translate, otherwise Bruce would be a superstar, and not just very good.

Doesn't it take around 1000 AB before a hitter shows what he's got in MLB? Well, Devin's at 484 right now. Maybe we're starting to see his skill play out. Hopefully it will be more of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Doesn't it take around 1000 AB before a hitter shows what he's got in MLB? Well, Devin's at 484 right now. Maybe we're starting to see his skill play out. Hopefully it will be more of the same.
    I would usually give a catcher even more leeway than pat other players. I would also like those 1000 at bats to be somewhat consistent.

Either way 60 at bats in June are not telling in the small picture, IMO.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

60 at bats are more than enough for Reds fans to proclaim another prospect a bust.

Cincy fans have always had it in for first round picks.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

15. Likes:

membengal (08-04-2013), Tom Servo (08-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I would usually give a catcher even more leeway than pat other players. I would also like those 1000 at bats to be somewhat consistent.

Either way 60 at bats in June are not telling in the small picture, IMO.
    Yes, I agree. It is an interesting question of whether or not those 1000 AB's need to be on an everyday basis. I wonder if there is a difference, big picture, between 1000 PA every day and 1000 PA over parts of three seasons. Would be a great study to do in terms of prospect development.

17. Likes:

Stingray (08-04-2013)

We may be talking about different levels of talent.

From a pure talent standpoint, those two guys were never in the same area as Mesoraco. Mesoraco was a top 15 prospect in all of baseball.

From a pure talent standpoint, those two guys were never in the same area as Mesoraco. Mesoraco was a top 15 prospect in all of baseball.
    How much of that had to do with his position?

Turn Off Ads?