Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Junior Arias

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Junior Arias

I'd like to flip him in a trade while his value his "high." (If his value is in fact high.) We have Billy Hamilton and just used our first-round draft pick on a college CF who looks pretty darn good, albeit in an extremely limited sample size. There might be a team out there that has a need for a young, fast CF in their system. And Arias has some extra appeal because of the power he's showing this year.

I know there's a chance Phillip Ervin will move to LF one day, but right now he's a CF and it sounds like that's where the Reds intend on keeping him. Also, even if Ervin does move to a corner OF spot, we have Hamilton. I just don't see the long-term need for Arias. I don't want to give him away, but if he's valued by another team, he might be an interesting trade piece.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I am curious as to what you think his value might be. I have a hard time believing the Reds could get a decent major league player in return. I would not want to do another Denorfia for Marcus McBeth and Ben Jukich type of deal. An equally good prospect at another position might work, but teams seldom seem to do those types of deals. All in all, speed and power is hard to let go. Getting a power bat at a position high on the defensive spectrum does not happen often. No harm in waiting to see what his ceiling really is. As for too many CF'ers, it wasn't too long ago that there was a perception the Reds should trade a SS because they had too many of those. Things can change quickly.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I am curious as to what you think his value might be. I have a hard time believing the Reds could get a decent major league player in return. I would not want to do another Denorfia for Marcus McBeth and Ben Jukich type of deal. An equally good prospect at another position might work, but teams seldom seem to do those types of deals. All in all, speed and power is hard to let go. Getting a power bat at a position high on the defensive spectrum does not happen often. No harm in waiting to see what his ceiling really is. As for too many CF'ers, it wasn't too long ago that there was a perception the Reds should trade a SS because they had too many of those. Things can change quickly.
    I would think Arias would have to be more like one piece of a package deal. For example, if Walt Jocketty decides to add a player near the trading deadline, he could package Neftali Soto and Junior Arias (and perhaps one more good [but not great] prospect) in return for someone who could help the Reds win now.

I agree Arias alone would not be enough to garner a good MLB player. But he might be a good piece to add in a package deal.

Turn Off Ads?