Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who had the best MLB debut game that you've seen?

Who had the best MLB debut game that you've seen?

When I think back through the baseball games I've attended in person, one of the greatest experiences I've ever had at a game was on May 27, 2008 when the Reds took on the Pirates. Jay Bruce was called up at the age of 21 to make his MLB debut against Pittsburgh, and I had the pleasure of being there. The atmosphere was magical. For two teams that were under .500, the crowd mentality was similar to playoff atmosphere, thanks to the electric play of Bruce who came up and went 3 for 3 with 2 walks. You just knew every time this kid came to the plate, something exciting was going to happen. I left the ballpark that day thinking I had just seen the arrival of the greatest player to ever play the game. A guy that no opposing pitcher could get out. The first man to hit 1.000. I know it wasn't realistic, but that one game restored my faith as a fan of the Cincinnati Reds that the future of the team was brighter that what we had become so accustomed to.

Anyway, who had the best debut in the Major Leagues that you can remember?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Haunted by walks

Re: Who had the best MLB debut game that you've seen?

Johnny Cueto's was excellent.

4. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (07-10-2013),OnBaseMachine (06-22-2013),Tom Servo (06-22-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I saw Homer's debut, that was awesome. First time I had ever been to GABP and everyone actually gave a damn about what happened on the field.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

It wasn't his debut, but I saw Rob Dibble strike out the side on 9 pitches back in 1989 at Riverfront. Only 47 pitchers have accomplished the feat.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...98906040.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitcher...n_nine_pitches

I'm pretty sure I saw Bruce's and Homer's debuts on TV.
    Last edited by Vottomatic; 06-22-2013 at 02:55 PM.

On TV, Jay Bruce.

In person, Homer Bailey.

Starlin Castro

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Starlin Castro
    Sadly, this is my answer as well.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Any number of scrub opposing pitchers from the 80s and 90s. It seems like if they'd never seen the guy before, Reds of that era were doomed. If my friends and I heard a guy was getting called up to make his debut, we knew it was pointless to watch or attend.

11. Likes:

757690 (06-22-2013),mth123 (06-22-2013)

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

For me it would be Bruce. I was there that night. Also was there for Brandon Clausen's debut
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Not sure if they were debuts but Jeff Pico's 4 hit shutout in (1990?) and Robinson Cano's Dad Jose I think had a killer game vs the Reds....but also I think not a debut (1989?)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...00605120.shtml

Cole Hamels was dealing that day. I was there right behind home plate. (Had tickets higher up, but the weather wasn't all that good, and the attendance was lacking, so, the ushers allowed us to sit closer to the field.)
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

15. Likes:

dougdirt (06-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Not sure if they were debuts but Jeff Pico's 4 hit shutout in (1990?) and Robinson Cano's Dad Jose I think had a killer game vs the Reds....but also I think not a debut (1989?)
    My memory was a little off but it's been over 20 years also.

Jeff Pico in 1988 threw a 4 hit shutout in his MLB debut and of course it was against the Reds

Jose Cano in 1989 only had pitched in 14 career innings and the pitched a complete game against the Reds for a 9-2 win....his only career win and his last game ever played (only 5 career sppearances) in the bigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...00605120.shtml

Cole Hamels was dealing that day. I was there right behind home plate. (Had tickets higher up, but the weather wasn't all that good, and the attendance was lacking, so, the ushers allowed us to sit closer to the field.)
    I wasn't there, but that game immediately came to mind for me too. The Reds offense was red hot at that point and Hamels just owned them.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Johnny Cueto against the Diamondbacks was awfully good.
    Jay Bruce was awfully good.
    Cole Hamels against the Reds was awfully good.

Those three stuck out in my mind.

Count me in for the Cueto debut. That was a fun night.
    Is it "next season" yet?

Turn Off Ads?