Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who had the best MLB debut game that you've seen?

Stat geek...and proud

Re: Who had the best MLB debut game that you've seen?

I think I was at Kearns first home game. Not sure if it was the actual debut.

Was at Chris Reitsma's debut. He did well IIRC. That's the best I can do as far as in person.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

2. Turn Off Ads?

Gary Nolan

He broke into the major leagues at 18. Struck out the side in the first inning of his first game against the Astros.

The form of Tom Seaver, 18 years old, I was in heaven.

He and Bench have to be the greatest young battery in history.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Arencibia. IIRC he hit 2 dingers and a double and went 3 for 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    My memory was a little off but it's been over 20 years also.

Jeff Pico in 1988 threw a 4 hit shutout in his MLB debut and of course it was against the Reds

Jose Cano in 1989 only had pitched in 14 career innings and the pitched a complete game against the Reds for a 9-2 win....his only career win and his last game ever played (only 5 career sppearances) in the bigs.

That was Harry Carey's return game from a heart attack as well. I saw it on WGN as well. Man what a bad day to watch but that 1988 team had problems on offense, after they traded Parker.

Adam Dunn. I can't remember whether he actually did anything special -- but just seeing the coveted "Paul Bunyan in pinstripes" was a cool experience.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Adam Dunn. I can't remember whether he actually did anything special -- but just seeing the coveted "Paul Bunyan in pinstripes" was a cool experience.
    The first game I was at the stadium (Cinergy.....CF torn down already I believe) that Dunn played he hit a ball to RCF just left of the seats and that was the longest HR I have ever witnessed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I saw Homer's debut, that was awesome. First time I had ever been to GABP and everyone actually gave a damn about what happened on the field.
    I was at that game as well.. I don't think I've ever been in a crowd as electric as that one was. Especially when Bailey struck out the last batter he faced with the bases loaded.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
    I was at that game as well.. I don't think I've ever been in a crowd as electric as that one was. Especially when Bailey struck out the last batter he faced with the bases loaded.
    Most electric crowd I've been a part of was game 3 last year. After Bailey struck out 5 in a row. Place was insane. I really thought he was going to throw another no no.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

10. Likes:

Captain13 (07-10-2013),OnBaseMachine (06-22-2013)

just looking at the boxscore of that Bailey start. 4-3 Reds over Indians. Our leadoff hitter? Norris Hopper. Cleanup? Jeff Conine. Reds hit 3 homers, Phillips, Conine and Griffey, in that order. Homer pitches out of bases loaded jam in his last inning (the 5th). Stormy Weathers gives up leadoff homer in the 9th, then shuts the door on Homer's win.
    Is it "next season" yet?

Pete Rose Jr against the Royals

I was at the game when he had 1 of his 2 career hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    just looking at the boxscore of that Bailey start. 4-3 Reds over Indians. Our leadoff hitter? Norris Hopper. Cleanup? Jeff Conine. Reds hit 3 homers, Phillips, Conine and Griffey, in that order. Homer pitches out of bases loaded jam in his last inning (the 5th). Stormy Weathers gives up leadoff homer in the 9th, then shuts the door on Homer's win.
    I was there, too! I had seen Bailey twice (?) before that with the Bats.

And Norris Hopper. Only thing I remember about that guy is that he was traded for the one and only Corky Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    And Norris Hopper. Only thing I remember about that guy is that he was traded for the one and only Corky Miller.
    I remember he hit a bunt-driven .300 that 2007 season which fooled some here into thinking he was a solution in CF.

This is what you you will find if you search for old Norris on the internetz.

http://www.mugshotsworld.com/NORRIS-STEPHEN-HOPPER
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I remember he hit a bunt-driven .300 that 2007 season which fooled some here into thinking he was a solution in CF.

This is what you you will find if you search for old Norris on the internetz.

http://www.mugshotsworld.com/NORRIS-STEPHEN-HOPPER
    Oh, glad to see he's doing well.

17. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-22-2013)

I was at the Cole Hamels game and yes, he was dealing.

It wasn't really that amazing, but I was also at Lance Davis' debut. 5 IP, 3 ER against the Mariners (?) I think.

The biggest one for the Reds that I witnessed in person has to be Chapman. I was there and he absolutely electrified that place. My girlfriend and I both said to each other we were seeing something special.

Johnny Cueto's has to be the best from a starting pitcher of the Reds in my recent memory. 7 IP, 1 H, 10 K in your debut? That's incredible. It took him a few years to really hit his stride but he's the guy we've long waited for to fill that role of a home-grown ace. Homer has developed nicely as well, too, but Cueto is unquestionably the anchor of the staff. I just hope he can stay healthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Turn Off Ads?