Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who had the best MLB debut game that you've seen?

Re: Who had the best MLB debut game that you've seen?

Mo Sanford was pretty good in his first game.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Max Scherzer against the Astros in 2008. Came in relief and fired 4.1 perfect innings with 7 strikeouts and amazing stuff.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...00804290.shtml

I actually forgot to mention I was at Tony Cingrani's debut as well last fall. He was very impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

In person, Chien-Ming Wang. Didn't even get the win, but pitched seven strong innings with six hits and two runs. No strikeouts! I wasn't used to such a groundball pitcher -- very efficient. Yankees beat the Blue Jays 4-3.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

J.P. Arencibia.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Will Clark. He homered off of Nolan Ryan in his first MLB plate appearance in 1986 @ Houston. In the home opener a week later, he homered off him again.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I just realized I was at Sam Lecure's debut. The Reds beat the Astros 15-6 and Lecure pitched well.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Mo Sanford
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...99108090.shtml

7 IP, 8 Ks, 1BB and got the win. Looked real good doing it.

GL

I did not actually witness it, but I heard Red Sox rookie Billy Rohr's first ever major league start in 1967 on the radio (WHDH?) against the hated Yankees. He had a no-hitter going into the 9th. With two down and one out away from a no-hitter, Elston Howard hit a weak flare over the infield for a single.

I remember Carl Yastrzemski made a great catch in left to keep the no-hitter in tact. Billy Rohr never really amounted to much after that game, but I will never forget listening to that game.

In 1967, there were not many games televised locally. We listened to games on radios. I remember visualizing games as I would listen to them. Today I have MLB.com and it is (probably) better.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I did not actually witness it, but I heard Red Sox rookie Billy Rohr's first ever major league start in 1967 on the radio (WHDH?) against the hated Yankees. He had a no-hitter going into the 9th. With two down and one out away from a no-hitter, Elston Howard hit a weak flare over the infield for a single.

I remember Carl Yastrzemski made a great catch in left to keep the no-hitter in tact. Billy Rohr never really amounted to much after that game, but I will never forget listening to that game.

In 1967, there were not many games televised locally. We listened to games on radios. I remember visualizing games as I would listen to them. Today I have MLB.com and it is (probably) better.
    Was it a hand-held transistor radio? I remember taking one to school that Fall of '67 to listen to the World Series. They were played during the day time back then regardless of weekday or weekend. 2nd Grade and a couple of other kids listened with me during recess to the game on the radio. That was a huge deal in Portland, Oregon in 1967, to be able to hear a Major League Baseball game on the radio of any kind. On certain nights in the Summer you could pick up Dodger broadcasts all the way from L. A. They would be bouncing off the stratosphere. The struggles we went through back then to try to get a baseball fix. Used to go to the downtown library to get week old and two week old copies of The Enquirer and The Post to read about the REDS. Had the Baseball Digest subcriptions. Picked up The Sporting News whenever I could afford it. Those were good times.

Starlin Castro

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Not sure if they were debuts but Jeff Pico's 4 hit shutout in (1990?) and Robinson Cano's Dad Jose I think had a killer game vs the Reds....but also I think not a debut (1989?)
    Pico haunts me to this day. Anytime a rookie no-name pitches against the Reds, I text my buddies "I hope we don't get Pico'd."
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Was it a hand-held transistor radio? I remember taking one to school that Fall of '67 to listen to the World Series. They were played during the day time back then regardless of weekday or weekend. 2nd Grade and a couple of other kids listened with me during recess to the game on the radio. That was a huge deal in Portland, Oregon in 1967, to be able to hear a Major League Baseball game on the radio of any kind. On certain nights in the Summer you could pick up Dodger broadcasts all the way from L. A. They would be bouncing off the stratosphere. The struggles we went through back then to try to get a baseball fix. Used to go to the downtown library to get week old and two week old copies of The Enquirer and The Post to read about the REDS. Had the Baseball Digest subcriptions. Picked up The Sporting News whenever I could afford it. Those were good times.
    Yes, it was a little black transistor radio with a little metal grill over the speaker. I used a little ear piece to listen to games after my bedtime.

It was The Sporting News I had the subscription to and The Baseball Digest I read at the library. I actually learned to read because of those publications. In elementary school, they expected us to enhance our reading skills with text and SRA folders that featured boring stories about things I had no interest in reading or learning about.

Baseball was what interested me and enhanced my reading skills.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Turn Off Ads?