Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: 6/22/2013 Reds at Dbacks....Game 2

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: 6/22/2013 Reds at Dbacks....Game 2

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    A big to Bruce and Leake tonight

A big to Votto and Chapman
    No way I put Votto on that. Yeah, he went 0-2. But got on base twice too. Yeah, he made an "error". But it did NOT cause the loss. Chapman's lack of control caused the loss.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

2. Likes:

dubc47834 (06-22-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Anyone who thinks the leadoff batter getting on (due to no fault of Chapman's) didn't unnerve Chapman hasn't been following baseball. Doesn't necessarily excuse it, but when the tying run reaches due to an error, it completely changes the inning and it most certainly affects the pitcher. There is equal blame here. Votto and Chapman. Both awful tonight.
    I would hope he'd be tougher mentally than that. You can't let one play effect you so much you allow all four batters you face to reach base.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

5. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (06-22-2013)

Reds. Good team, something missing.

7. Likes:

Billy_Bearcat (06-22-2013)

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Gloves can slump just like bats do.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Agree -- but Votto has looked very awkward in the field to me
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

Mike Leake 8 inn, 4 hits, 2 ER on 91 pitches.....sensational.

10. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (06-22-2013), _Sir_Charles_ (06-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
    Personally, I like leaving the starter in if he is throwing a good game. Corbin should have stayed in as should have Leake. I don't think Leake was gassed since he was pitching in what was essentially a homecoming for him. He probably wanted to finish it off and I think he would have.
    $10 gets you a hundred if he was left in and the first batter homered or even got on....it would be a meltdown. Leake had a 70-1 lead at Philly one time and he could not finish it and they blasted Dusty for not getting anyone up faster
    while the Phillies blooped the 1st or 2nd pitches that Leake would throw.

It was the right call for Chapman. he does not pitch a few games and he turns into 1973 Steve Blass.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Which amounts to about a quarter of a season or less in total games played. Definition of sample size.
    Almost to the all star break and the team has one quality series win. Not a small sample size. They are a playoff team but until they start winning against good teams they are the definition of a pretender. But if you make the playoffs you always have a chance.

Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    11-14 in the last 25..glad you are ok with that.
    So that makes us frauds!!! Youre funny man!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Best part of game threads of a loss... Getting to see posters who never show up, except for when the Reds lose, lol. Oh how we missed ya
    Check out how many posts I have and how long I've been here. Sorry if most nights I have more interesting things to do besides vegging on a message board.

And it doesn't erase the fact that this team is an underachieving disappointment with a do-nothing GM during the season. Want to see where this is going? Check out 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    11-14 in the last 25..glad you are ok with that.
    Baseball is a really, really long season. If someone isn't patient enough to be "OK" with those types of stretches, the game isn't right for them.

Doesn't mean it's enjoyable to see, but it happens. You should take a deep breath and look at the big picture. Lots of time left.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    I would hope he'd be tougher mentally than that. You can't let one play effect you so much you allow all four batters you face to reach base.
    Exactly. Q up the Chapman is a head case thread...anyone?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
    Personally, I like leaving the starter in if he is throwing a good game. Corbin should have stayed in as should have Leake. I don't think Leake was gassed since he was pitching in what was essentially a homecoming for him. He probably wanted to finish it off and I think he would have.
    Corbin is pretty young, in his first season, and was well over 100 pitches. Pulling him was a much easier decision than Leake IMO.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfansince72 View Post
    Hard to even think of being a Playoff series winning team in October playing like this...
    The Reds can make the playoffs by taking care of business against bottom-feeders and winning at a .400 rate or whatever against the good teams. It's an annoyance but if they get in the playoffs I don't care whether it was pretty or not.

But at this stage I'd have to walk back my belief in March that they could win a championship. I just don't see it. Offense with a sub-100 OPS+ and absolutely no help coming from anywhere, and a bullpen crippled by injury and devoid of any reliable options. Defense has been pretty bad. The rotation is elite but they've been let down.

Quote Originally Posted by reds700 View Post
    Almost to the all star break and the team has one quality series win. Not a small sample size. They are a playoff team but until they start winning against good teams they are the definition of a pretender. But if you make the playoffs you always have a chance.
    The sample of games against "quality" teams you're referencing is indeed a small sample. It amounts to about 40 games. That would be the second week of May if it were played consecutively. That is most definitely a small sample.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by reds700 View Post
    They are a playoff team if it doesn't come down to big wins in tough games.

Reds are missing that ability.

Similar but not as pronounced last season.

Turn Off Ads?