Turn Off Ads?
Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 253132333435

Thread: 6/22/2013 Reds at Dbacks....Game 2

Re: 6/22/2013 Reds at Dbacks....Game 2

For half a season Derrick Robinson has exceeded my expectations. Kudos. Keep it up, kid.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Am I the only person nervous this may quickly become the worst contract in baseball?
    Yes, I think you are, because that's impossible as long as the Angels are paying that Pujols contract.

Anyone who can't see that this team as constituted over the last few years, struggles in big games or against good teams, and excessively takes advantage of the bottom feeders, isn't paying attention. It's not a sample size issue.

I find my baseball fandom is better adjusted when I stop paying attention during the bad stretches, reverting back to the pre-internet "did the Reds win last night?" When they get hot again, that's when it will be fun again to follow them more closely.

About the whole "can't win against good teams" thing.

What winning percentage should the Reds have?

If the goal is to win the division, how many wins should they have?

If the goal is to win the division but due better against winning teams, do you want to trade wins away from the bad teams, or do you require the team to win 120 times?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post

If the goal is to win the division but due better against winning teams, do you want to trade wins away from the bad teams, or do you require the team to win 120 times?
    162-0 or bust, man. Haven't you been paying attention?
    Is it "next season" yet?

.501 would be good....I'm ok with winning 100 games. 8-16 is not what you want against .500 teams. Of course we all want to win the division (regardless how does NOT matter)....but I'm looking past that. I don't want the playoffs, I want them to win in the playoffs.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    .501 would be good....I'm ok with winning 100 games. 8-16 is not what you want against .500 teams. Of course we all want to win the division (regardless how does NOT matter)....but I'm looking past that. I don't want the playoffs, I want them to win in the playoffs.
    IMO...nothing we do in the regular season...NOTHING...has any bearing on how we fare in the playoffs against anybody. This team is capable of beating ANY team on ANY given night. But guess what...the same can be said of every other team that ends up making the playoffs.

You want a winning record against teams above .500...okay. I'm pretty sure we've got quite a bit of season left to get that for you. We've had some bad breaks, some poor games, and some games when the opposition has gotten some lucky breaks and some outstanding games. It happens. But guess what, it'll even out. It's a looooooooooooooooong season.

And I'm sure you didn't mean it this way...but the phrase "I'm ok with winning 100 games" just cracked me up. It sounded like "Yea...it's decent. I mean, I'll take it I guess. But I expect better." :O)

8. Likes:

Raisor (06-23-2013),Tom Servo (06-23-2013)

The goal isn't to win the division. The goal is to win the playoffs. The answer is, whatever it takes to beat the good teams in the playoffs. 0-3 vs. the Phillies wasn't good enough in 2010. And 2-3 vs. the Giants (after starting 2-0) wasn't good last year. And how we're doing against these caliber teams in the regular season is indicative of how we'll probably do in the playoffs, IMO.

If someone has the time, someone could research the last ten World Series champs and see what the average winning percentage against winning teams

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    The goal isn't to win the division. The goal is to win the playoffs. The answer is, whatever it takes to beat the good teams in the playoffs. 0-3 vs. the Phillies wasn't good enough in 2010. And 2-3 vs. the Giants (after starting 2-0) wasn't good last year. And how we're doing against these caliber teams in the regular season is indicative of how we'll probably do in the playoffs, IMO.
    That's assuming that all things are equal. That Marshall and Broxton aren't back. That Ludwick isn't back. That no trades have been made. That everyone is playing the same now as they would be in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Okay Mike, don't look so sad. This is good.
    Yeah, right.

Cruisin' along with only 92 pitches thrown. Every bit as good a hitter as Hanahan. Leake deserved to finish that game. Complete disrespect by Baker to his best Starting Pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    IMO...nothing we do in the regular season...NOTHING...has any bearing on how we fare in the playoffs against anybody. This team is capable of beating ANY team on ANY given night. But guess what...the same can be said of every other team that ends up making the playoffs.

You want a winning record against teams above .500...okay. I'm pretty sure we've got quite a bit of season left to get that for you. We've had some bad breaks, some poor games, and some games when the opposition has gotten some lucky breaks and some outstanding games. It happens. But guess what, it'll even out. It's a looooooooooooooooong season.

And I'm sure you didn't mean it this way...but the phrase "I'm ok with winning 100 games" just cracked me up. It sounded like "Yea...it's decent. I mean, I'll take it I guess. But I expect better." :O)
    You seem mad.

Anyways.....I enjoy the Reds wins. I believe we have enough to win it all, but do not believe there is a chance with this leadership....we have enough IMO to win a playoff series or two. However, when the Reds lose, some of those losses just remind me of why we can't win in the playoffs. Dusty lead teams don't prosper in the playoffs and he has been the leader of 3 of the biggest choke jobs in postseason history.....without ever winning one in about 8? tries.

I believe this, nothing anyone on here can post will change my opinion on this. I believe teams that beat good teams or win it all must battle battle battle the starting pitcher. (Ex...BP's 9th inn AB)....I believe swinging at the first pitch works very well once a game....but must have some idea of what the pitcher is thinking. Votto has it, Choo has it, BP has it with 2 strikes and RISP, Hanigan has it but his offensive skill level just isn't there. Bruce is getting better as he's going oppo more often....I think we need two more spots in the lineup with guys that battle you AND are actually decent hitters.

Again, don't bother trying to change my mind on this.....but in return I won't wear my welcome out with it either, will just assume most on here know my thoughts.

Hopefully, the Reds get a win today and get it going again!

Go Reds!

Turn Off Ads?