Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Phillip Ervin 1st Pro Homer

Re: Phillip Ervin 1st Pro Homer

Welch and our other announcer (Grande or Kelch) on Fox just said he'd move right up the levels this year.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

2. Likes:

Vottomatic (06-23-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Walt Jocketty on XM earlier today said they expect Ervin to move up through the system quickly.

He didn't really elaborate on what his view of quickly is.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I guess the Reds made a huge mistake then, promoting Stephenson from Billings to Dayton last year after just 7 starts. Hmmm.
    It was not Stephenson's first professional season.

That may make a difference, I'm not really sure.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Because that isn't how the Reds operate.
    I think it would behoove you to open your mind about this. Ask yourself When has this Reds regime drafted a toolsy college outfielder with wood bat experience in round 1? Never. So maybe the "Reds don't do it" logic does not apply. Might make for a good article on your website.

Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

7. Likes:

Vottomatic (06-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Keep moving the goal posts in this argument to win it. Never fails.

I'm moving on.
    He's not moving the goalposts. He's just explaining why a "game" for a SP is far more actual game-time than it is for a position player. That's on-point for the conversation you are having, even if you don't like it.

In other news, good to see that Ervin connected for the first one. Let's hope there are many more where that came from, at whatever level he plays this year and next.
    Last edited by RedEye; 06-23-2013 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    He didn't really elaborate on what his view of quickly is.
    Three years. Just kidding -- depends whether we're talking "glacial Walt" or "big game hunter Walt." Two different concepts of time there, really.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Because that isn't how the Reds operate.
    To be fair, have we ever seen a 1st rd college guy debut professionally in June? Would or should that change anything?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Three years. Just kidding -- depends whether we're talking "glacial Walt" or "big game hunter Walt." Two different concepts of time there, really.
    Actually, I think three years is a pretty good guess.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    I think it would behoove you to open your mind about this. Ask yourself When has this Reds regime drafted a toolsy college outfielder with wood bat experience in round 1? Never. So maybe the "Reds don't do it" logic does not apply. Might make for a good article on your website.

Yonder Alonso and Yasmani Grandal both were considered more polished out of the draft than Ervin, signed later and still began the complete next season at a level below AA. The Reds simply don't operate that way. The guys in place right now have been around for a long time. They have drafted a lot of college players in the top 50. They have never come close to pushing anyone that quickly, even ones who tore up the Pioneer League.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    To be fair, have we ever seen a 1st rd college guy debut professionally in June? Would or should that change anything?
    We have seen supplemental guys do it and even ones that hit pretty well in Billings. It didn't matter. Even super polished guys like Grandal and Alonso, the next year, started in High A. The Reds don't move guys that quickly.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    nm

I misunderstood what you were saying.

I mentioned Leake, but that's not what you're talking about.

Actually, I think three years is a pretty good guess.
    Really? That's not what I thought, obviously. Now that I think about it a bit, I think three years would probably about the latest you could stretch the word "quickly" in this context. After that, there's pretty much no way to argue that Ervin is being moved through the system as a priority. Obviously, his performance at each level will have something to say about that, too.

Seems to me, though, that when they draft college OF, the Reds are often pretty sure about the tools and how the will play in the majors. Stubbs, for example, never really did much in the minors, but had a few skills that they new would play, so they kept on promoting him anyway.

Really? That's not what I thought, obviously. Now that I think about it a bit, I think three years would probably about the latest you could stretch the word "quickly" in this context. After that, there's pretty much no way to argue that Ervin is being moved through the system as a priority. Obviously, his performance at each level will have something to say about that, too.

Seems to me, though, that when they draft college OF, the Reds are often pretty sure about the tools and how the will play in the majors. Stubbs, for example, never really did much in the minors, but had a few skills that they new would play, so they kept on promoting him anyway.
    He's in Billings now. Counting the Reds, that's 6 levels. Moving through 6 levels in three years seems pretty fast to me.

He's in Billings now. Counting the Reds, that's 6 levels. Moving through 6 levels in three years seems pretty fast to me.
    Fair enough. I have no idea, really. Just thinking aloud. Obviously would be great if he can move as fast as possible. We need more advanced bats in the upper minors, that's for sure.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Stubbs third year in the minors, he went from high A all the way through each level to triple A in one season. Of course season 1 was rookie ball, I think.

Bruce played rookie ball, then spent his second season at A. Then his third season jumped from high A, to double A to triple A by season's end. Fourth season played 49 games at triple A and then got the call up.

Grandal played rookie ball his first season. Second season started in high A, and progressed all the way to triple A in one season batting a combined .305 with 14 HR's. Got traded in the offseason.

Alonso only played 6 games his rookie season. Second season jumped all the way to double A. Third season double A and triple A.

Turn Off Ads?