Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Greg Reynolds

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Greg Reynolds

9-0, 2.23 e.r.a.
    2006 first round pick of the Colorado Rockies.

Struggled all through the minors. What's the chance the kid has finally figured it out at age 28 (turns 28 on July 3)?

Should he be taken seriously or is it an anomaly?
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Greg Reynolds

I think we should take it seriously. He obviously has physical gifts if he was a 1st Round pick. Sometimes you just need the right pitching coach to spot an improvement in your mechanics or change a grip on a certain pitch you throw. I'm not saying that we should count on him as a regular rotation guy but we could do worse for a RHP middle inning reliever or spot starter in case of another injury if Cingrani stays in the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    I think we should take it seriously. He obviously has physical gifts if he was a 1st Round pick. Sometimes you just need the right pitching coach to spot an improvement in your mechanics or change a grip on a certain pitch you throw. I'm not saying that we should count on him as a regular rotation guy but we could do worse for a RHP middle inning reliever or spot starter in case of another injury if Cingrani stays in the pen.
    He has also been under the knife since he was a first round pick.

What kind of injury history does he have? Has he had Tommy John before? Sometimes guys actually get a little bump after they've fully recovered from it.

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    What kind of injury history does he have? Has he had Tommy John before? Sometimes guys actually get a little bump after they've fully recovered from it.
    Two shoulder surgeries, neck surgery and bone chips removed from his elbow.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Two shoulder surgeries, neck surgery and bone chips removed from his elbow.
    Should be gtg now that he's the bionic man right? Yikes...

Doug,

You think he has it figured out mentally? Also how do you see his mechanics are they clean?

For more info on Greg Reynolds, there is this piece from MILB.com.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...=.jsp&sid=milb

"I think health has a lot to do with it. That's the biggest part," Reynolds said of the difference between this season and some of his past struggles. "I'm the healthiest now that I've been since I got into professional baseball six or seven years ago. It gives me a great deal of confidence, not having to worry about how I'm gonna feel that day or how my arm's going to feel. Just being healthy gives me the confidence to execute pitches."
    There are two primary differences, statistically, from Reynolds' previous two seasons. The first and most obvious is that he no longer is pitching in the PCL.

"The PCL is a tough pitcher's league and coming over here is another confidence-boost," he said. "My main pitch is the sinker, so knowing it's going to sink -- not pitching in like Albuquerque -- is a great feeling just going out there."

The more subtle difference is his strikeout rate, which -- though not robust -- has improved markedly from where it was with Round Rock last year. He's averaging 5.35 punchouts per nine innings, up from 3.81 a season ago. And his walk rate, which was at 2.63 per nine innings for Colorado Springs in 2011 and 2.54 last year, is down to 1.78.

His health, new surroundings and slight improvements in some peripheral stats have added up to the best season of Reynolds' career.

"By far, by far, this is the best I've ever felt," he said. "The health, like I said, but it just feels good to go out there and pitch like I know I can and actually execute the way I know I can. To give the team a chance to win, it feels very good.
    Last edited by klw; 06-24-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Is there a good comp for Reynolds? The miniscule K rate just scares the hell out of me. Are they any starters of note with a similar skill set who have had some major league success, perhaps Jeremy Guthrie?
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Should be gtg now that he's the bionic man right? Yikes...

Doug,

You think he has it figured out mentally? Also how do you see his mechanics are they clean?
    I don't think there is a problem mentally at all. His numbers are outstanding. His mechanics seem fine.

I don't think there is a problem mentally at all. His numbers are outstanding. His mechanics seem fine.
    He came out about the time of the big bio-mechanics movement hit MLB. Now all the pitchers undergo a tuning of their mechanics in order to save them from injuries their mechanics cause. That's why I was asking about his mechanics... Thanks

Also do you see him being called up this year? I would think if somebody goes down then he gets the call as Tony would have to be stretched out again.

Doug, obviously the opportunity with the Reds would seem to be in the pen. Does Reynolds's stuff translate to relief at all? has there been any discussion that you know of about a move? Thanks

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Is there a good comp for Reynolds? The miniscule K rate just scares the hell out of me. Are they any starters of note with a similar skill set who have had some major league success, perhaps Jeremy Guthrie?
    No idea about a stuff comp, but Arroyo and Correia are the type of guys who he'd need to emulate. You can definitely get by on 5 K/9, but you need to walk 2 BB/9 and keep the homers down, the later of which is somewhat luck driven.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

14. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    No idea about a stuff comp, but Arroyo and Correia are the type of guys who he'd need to emulate. You can definitely get by on 5 K/9, but you need to walk 2 BB/9 and keep the homers down, the later of which is somewhat luck driven.
    I agree Rick. So far with his sinker and tight control he's just under a 3:1 K/BB ratio which is real good but most importantly he has a miniscule .0029% hr allowed rate. His BABIP is in relative norms so its not like its a lot of basehit luck...but that's a lucky low hr rate even for a ground ball guy. Still...for GAB...if you're gonna be a soft tosser I guess your best bet is to be the sinkerball variety...if he is consistent and not just riding a hot streak he could well fill BAs spot...encouraging so far for a guy nabbed off the medical reworked lists for nada...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...ns-june-13-19/

Cincinnati Reds
    Signed: RHP Greg Reynolds (re-signed), LHP Zach Duke (released by Nationals, June 10), C Matt Kennelly (released by Braves, May 13)
    Draft picks signed: RHP Mark Armstrong (3), RHP Scott Brattvet (8), RHP Tyler Mahle (7), RHP Fabian Roman (16), RHP Layne Somsen (22), LHP Ty Boyles (11), C Shedric Long (12), 3B Taylor Terrasas (30), OF Chad Jones (9)
    Released: RHP Nick Barnese, RHP Greg Reynolds (subsequently re-signed), LHP Richard McCaffrey, LHP Jose Rosario, C Konrad Schmidt, C Fray Sosa, OF Joe Mather
    Recalled: RHP Pedro Villarreal
    Optioned to Triple-A: RHP Pedro Villarreal
    Option transferred: OF Yorman Rodriguez (high Class A to Double-A)
    Placed on 7-day DL: RHP Nick Fleece, RHP Wes Mugarian, RHP Chad Rogers, OF Chad Jones, OF Bryson Smith
    Reinstated from DL: C Yovan Gonzalez, 1B Carlos Sanchez, OF Jon Matthews

Turn Off Ads?