Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Sports teams do you follow?

Re: What Sports teams do you follow?

MLB: Reds. I have been a Reds fan since 1966. No other team comes close to the Reds, but the Red Sox have been my favorite AL team ever since the Impossible Dream '67 team.
    NFL: Raiders, Bengals, Packers. As a boy we could only get AFL games on TV and the Bengals had not yet been created, so I became a Raiders fan in '67. I loved the Madden era Raiders. I do also root for the Bengals. Reading "Instant Replay" as a boy helped make me a Packers fan. Rarely have more than one of these three teams been good at the same time.
    NBA: I liked the early 70s Lakers of Wilt and West and haven't cared much since then.
    NHL: No interest.
    College: Having graduated from Marshall and from Duke, I root for those schools. The first college football games I ever saw on TV featured Alabama and I have rooted for the Tide ( and against Auburn) ever since.
    High School: I realize no one else mentioned this grouping, but my sons attend/attended the same school as my wife and I, and Wayne High has won three state titles in football and two in softball since '06, and I do follow the Pioneers.
    Golf: No interest. The last time I got interested in a golf tournament was the final round of the '86 Masters when Nicklaus turned back the clock and won.
    Racing: I was a huge Rick Mears fan. I haven't cared nearly as much since he retired 20 years ago but I do root for Penske in Indycar because that was who Mears drove for.
    Tennis: No interest.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

MLB: Reds

NFL: Colts

NBA: Pacers

NHL: Blackhawks

College Basketball: Indiana and Tennessee

College Football: Indiana and Tennessee

Those are my favs. However I do follow other teams just because I hate them. That list would be as follows:

MLB: Cardinals

NFL: Patriots

NBA: Heat

NHL: Red Wings

College Basketball: Duke

College Football: USC

This list has changed through the years but that is how it stands today.

1. Ohio State Football
    2. Reds
    3. Wright State Basketball
    4. Ohio State Basketball
    5. Bengals
    6. Norm Duke (bowling)
    7. Allison Fisher (billiards)
    8. Bluejackets
    9. Anyone playing Michigan, St.Louis Cards, Pittsburgh Pirates, and the SEC (non conference of course).

List, in order of fandom:
    1) Kentucky

2) USMNT
    3) Reds
    4) Bengals
    5) Blackhawks
    7) Georgetown College
    8) Soccer teams in Europe with American players
    9) Brazilian National Team (soccer)
    10) Columbus Crew

-MLB: Reds. Unless this is Cubszone...I was an MLB fan when I was a kid, but I've moved into a phase where I really only know and care about the Reds. I couldn't name 2 Royals (whereas I can name 8 Charlotte Bobcats...life is a funny thing)
    -NFL: I was a Bengals fan, but I got busy with life stuff and dumped them in the early 2000's (along with the NFL in general). I have dabbled in watching them since, but I couldn't name 5 players without help. (I have mad love for the Tecmo Super Bowl Bengals. My devotion to David Fulcher knows no bounds).
    -NHL: Blue Jackets (I need to watch them more)
    -MLS: The Crew (see Blue Jackets)
    -NBA: I don't have a specific team, but I love the league as a whole. It is the sport I know the best.
    -NCAAB: 1) OU: Undergraduate Alma Mater 2) UK: Graduate School
    -NCAAF: I don't have a team. I want OU and UK to do well (I guess) but I won't go out of my way to watch them. I "root" for Ohio State because if I don't, if they lose, or heaven forbid I make fun of them (which is easy and fun), I will have an angry wife. This is the wisdom that comes with age. Let's put it this way, when your chances at adult time with your wife are concerned, you take drastic measures, including rooting for OSU.
    -EPL: See NBA. I don't know it quite as well, but I love that there is an entertaining sport that is on when I wake up on a Saturday and is finished by the time the day really starts (unlike American football, which swallows entire days.)
    -Racing: Is Cale Yarborough still racing?
    -Tour De France: Whoever is in the breakaway.
    -USMNT: This is obsession is growing exponentially. I become unhinged watching them in a way that I don't with any other team. Put it this way, my sister is dating a man from Ghana and it took me a while to get over that. Stupid Ghana.
    -Tennis: The Williams sisters. I love people who make a mockery of snobbery.
    -Golf: Just not Phil. I always get the feeling that he is the Don Johnson character from Tin Cup. He seems fake. I'm probably wrong, but I don't care.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Its just my personal feeling. I don't feel right rooting for a college that I have no connection to. You are more than welcome to root for anyone you choose.
    I'm guessing you're in the minority by a large margin. I'm a UK alum and my kids grew up huge UK fans. My son was set to attend UK when he received a four-year academic scholarship from a different school with an outstanding academic reputation. It isn't costing us a penny. Needless to say, he accepted that offer immediately, and is also a member of that college's tennis team. So he doesn't have an actual "connection" to UK, but he remains to this day a diehard UK fan and always will be. There are many other instances and ways in which someone can become a fan of a school's sports teams without having attended that school.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    I'm guessing you're in the minority by a large margin. I'm a UK alum and my kids grew up huge UK fans. My son was set to attend UK when he received a four-year academic scholarship from a different school with an outstanding academic reputation. It isn't costing us a penny. Needless to say, he accepted that offer immediately, and is also a member of that college's tennis team. So he doesn't have an actual "connection" to UK, but he remains to this day a diehard UK fan and always will be. There are many other instances and ways in which someone can become a fan of a school's sports teams without having attended that school.
    Was that school Centre College?

Just curious.

I really don't understand the disdain for "sidewalk fans" or whatever you want to call them. If they buy the stuff and get the royalty for my program, I'm cool with it.

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    Was that school Centre College?

Just curious.
    Good guess. You are correct.

Good guess. You are correct.
    Impressive to get a scholarship from Centre. I considered it heavily, but ultimately went with UK. Sometimes I think what "might have been." Not in a regretful manner though, and I doubt your son will regret that choice either.

Your a UK alum so in essence your children would have a connection.

Let me try and clarify my comments. As an OSU alum and being born and raised in Cincinnati I think it would be a little disingenuous to be a diehard Alabama fan. Or a diehard Oklahoma fan. I don't have any real connection to those schools. When it comes to professional sports my allegiance lies with my hometown teams. Sure it would be nice to have been a Yankees fan growing up (easiest job in sports) but I had no connection to them. It would have been akin to me saying, the Yankees are the best team I am going to root for them.

As I have gotten older I have found myself rooting for my teams, if they aren't playing then the team that would best help my team out, and then if that can't happen the underdog.

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    Impressive to get a scholarship from Centre. I considered it heavily, but ultimately went with UK. Sometimes I think what "might have been." Not in a regretful manner though, and I doubt your son will regret that choice either.
    Thanks, Lex. God blessed me with two great kids and I brag on them often. My son is happy as can be with his choice of schools, and the fact he won't have to pay for this four years is in part a secondary reason. The Centre environment fits his personality perfectly and he had a 3.8 GPA as a Freshman. I couldn't be prouder of him.

13. Likes:

LexRedsFan (07-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Your a UK alum so in essence your children would have a connection.

Let me try and clarify my comments. As an OSU alum and being born and raised in Cincinnati I think it would be a little disingenuous to be a diehard Alabama fan. Or a diehard Oklahoma fan. I don't have any real connection to those schools. When it comes to professional sports my allegiance lies with my hometown teams. Sure it would be nice to have been a Yankees fan growing up (easiest job in sports) but I had no connection to them. It would have been akin to me saying, the Yankees are the best team I am going to root for them.

As I have gotten older I have found myself rooting for my teams, if they aren't playing then the team that would best help my team out, and then if that can't happen the underdog.
    I'm pretty much the same way. My teams have always been the "home" teams of my area -- UK, Reds and Bengals. I could never relate to fans who cheer for the Yankees, Steelers, Cowboys, Lakers, etc, without having ever had any type of geographical connection to those areas.

I don't have a problem with non-alum fans. I have degrees from Marshall and Xavier so I cheer for those schools; I also cheer passionately for Army because my grandfather instilled that in me from an early age. A lot of my friends are UC fans simply because they live in the city. I think fandom is a personal choice and folks should do whatever makes them happy. College sports wouldn't be what it is without non-alum fans.

I'm pretty much the same way. My teams have always been the "home" teams of my area -- UK, Reds and Bengals. I could never relate to fans who cheer for the Yankees, Steelers, Cowboys, Lakers, etc, without having ever had any type of geographical connection to those areas.
    I sometimes root for a team simply because I like some players on it. When that occurs I find myself still a bit of a fan of that team even after the players I originally liked have gone. For example, I am not much of a fan of the NBA at all, but if I do root for a team, especially if the Celtics are the opponent, I will root for the Lakers just because I did root for Wilt and Jerry West decades ago. Similarly, Rick Mears of Team Penske was my favorite driver. He has been retired for two decades but I still root for Team Penske. I still sometimes root for the Oakland Raiders even though they haven't had a player I really root for in decades.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Baseball: Reds
    Football: Bengals
    My allegiance to these two teams come from my earliest memories of riding in the car listening to games with my dad when we lived in Lima, OH. He couldn't get radio reception in the house, so game time meant liesurely drives through the Ohio countryside listening to sports.

Soccer: USMNT, Columbus Crew, Bayern Munich, EPL teams with Americans.
    I have loved soccer since playing in my youth but didn't really understand the emotion of the game until I lived in Salzburg, Austria in college. Latched on to Bayern because it was close to Salzburg and following the Austrian Bundesliga is just about impossible in America. I have a love/hate relationship with Arjen Robben. He's brilliant when he plays it straight, but he drives me nuts when he starts flopping like he's hit by sniper fire trying to draw a cheap penalty.

College Sports: Kent State first, but will follow Ohio State as a second team.

NBA: Followed the Cavs in the '80s when they played at the Richfield Coliseum. Favorite player was World B. Free. Lost interest when they moved to downtown Cleveland.

Hockey: only watch it during Olympics. Hockey was never on TV and radio in the areas I grew up save for the Olympics, so I never got into it. Watch it in the Olynpics ever since the Miracle on Ice.

I can never stay awake while watching NASCAR, golf, or tennis.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?