Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Could be interesting season's end series...

Could be interesting season's end series...

with Pitt. granted I'm looking WAY ahead, but lets say the cards have wrapped up the division, while Reds/Pirates have wrapped up WC spots, but remain close....would you go all out for homefield for the WC game or rest pitching? (Clearly a questions for a slow Monday AM).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Could be interesting season's end series...

Quote Originally Posted by bigfunguy View Post
    with Pitt. granted I'm looking WAY ahead, but lets say the cards have wrapped up the division, while Reds/Pirates have wrapped up WC spots, but remain close....would you go all out for homefield for the WC game or rest pitching? (Clearly a questions for a slow Monday AM).

It's fun watching everyone giving the Cards the division right now. Look at the Jays for example, a team goes on a good run and the whole race has changed. It's not even the All-Star break and even with the Reds/Pirates/Cards consisting of the top 3 records in NL, it's assumed the Cards will seal the NL Central. The Reds are a series sweep of the Cards to taking the division lead.

One 5-7 game winning or losing streak from Reds/Pirates/Cards and this race is completely different. As long as the Reds keep winning series, thing will be good. To answer your question, I believe the Reds remain consistent while the Cards have a bad August run and Reds take the division by 2 games.

4. Likes:

BoxingRed (06-24-2013), marcshoe (06-24-2013)

The Cardinals just got swept by Texas. They aren't invincible, and this could be the start of a rough patch.
    No Victims, by me

The rest is drama.

What begins at the water shall end there, and what ends there shall once more begin. --Straka

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    The Cardinals just got swept by Texas. They aren't invincible, and this could be the start of a rough patch.
    Compared to how they were playing in May, this is most definitely a rough patch already. They split a series with Arizona. Had a tough time with the Mets. Lost a series with the Fish, and now got swept by Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    The Reds a series sweep of the Cards.

lol

Could be really interesting if there is a one-game WC playoff to follow...

Not that I am a huge believer in the Pythag, but as of right now the Pirates are 4 games ahead of their Pythag. The are roughly on pace to exceed their Pythag by 10 games, something that isn't unheard of (the O's did it last season) but something that is rather difficult to do.

One thing I have noticed with the Pirates is Hurdle is managing every game like it is a do or die situation. He is going to the pen early and often. When the Pirates played the Reds last week the Pirates pen had already logged 50 more innings than the Reds. If anything that will wear down the relievers as they head towards August and September. If the Pirates go out and get a couple of bullpen arms then that could reset the balance, but if they stay consistent and don't add to the pen I can see a tired bunch down the stretch. The Garret Cole move could make a difference but you have to take into consideration a young arm who has logged more innings than he ever has before.

10. Likes:

RedEye (06-24-2013)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Could be really interesting if there is a one-game WC playoff to follow...
    ......especially since the Pirates just signed Al Leiter.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Turn Off Ads?