Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Boy crossed the bridge today...

Re: My Boy crossed the bridge today...

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    Common term for animals passing. Comes from this poem:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
    Since I joined here in October, I've been so busy taking care of our cats at home (an upper respiratory infection going around and around for months) along with the 3 feral groups that I feed elsewhere, that I totally missed this thread. I had been trying to keep up with the AOR thread but even that's been a challenge with all the animal stuff happening. One at home that got a depot shot for her cold subsequently devoloped diabetes and I learned to give insulin shots for 2 weeks...when the steroid wore off it went into remission. There's no guarantees of course but we're hoping it's gone for good. Anyways when I read about all your babies here, I knew I was surrounded by really good people. I've always loved the Rainbow Bridge poem and for me it rings truth deep down, that we will indeed see them again. I know in my heart mine are waiting for me and that all of yours are too.

A good friend of mine shared another quote with me a while back when one of our babys had to be put to sleep. "I'm sending you on a journey to a far better place. Not because I don't love you. But because I love you too much to force you to stay."

2. Likes:

moewan (11-13-2013),SunDeck (12-09-2013),westofyou (11-16-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

sorry

New kid in the house.

Maybe.

A friend found this little girl (I think--haven't tackled to find out for sure yet!) under his porch this morning. He's allergic, and his dachsies wanted to eat her, so he called me.

She may stay, depending on how the big cats take her. The initial sniff test went... ok... She growled at Tabby, hissed at Silver (granted, Silver did hiss first!) and tolerated Elmo sniffing her with just a few rumbles. She's very timid, but sweet and has a heck of a purr. Right now, she's staying in our little bathroom, There's enough of a gap under the door so they can sniff each other a bit, but not slap. She wants to cuddle and likes being held so far. Gave her a bit of baby food (I keep some here all the time as a treat for our one older, nearly toothless girl) and a small handful of adult dry food. She tore into both like she hadn't eaten in a week--she's a bit thin but not drastically so, but I also don't want to shock her system too much. She's investigated the litter box, but hasn't "passed that test" yet.

she'll go to our vet for a checkup tomorrow.

6. Likes:

Dave Collins (11-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    New kid in the house.

Maybe.

A friend found this little girl (I think--haven't tackled to find out for sure yet!) under his porch this morning. He's allergic, and his dachsies wanted to eat her, so he called me.

She may stay, depending on how the big cats take her. The initial sniff test went... ok... She growled at Tabby, hissed at Silver (granted, Silver did hiss first!) and tolerated Elmo sniffing her with just a few rumbles. She's very timid, but sweet and has a heck of a purr. Right now, she's staying in our little bathroom, There's enough of a gap under the door so they can sniff each other a bit, but not slap. She wants to cuddle and likes being held so far. Gave her a bit of baby food (I keep some here all the time as a treat for our one older, nearly toothless girl) and a small handful of adult dry food. She tore into both like she hadn't eaten in a week--she's a bit thin but not drastically so, but I also don't want to shock her system too much. She's investigated the litter box, but hasn't "passed that test" yet.

she'll go to our vet for a checkup tomorrow.
    You can try putting a few sprigs off a bush in the litter box and bury it a little. I don't know if it helps but has seemed to in the past. Just make sure it's not toxic or has berries. The last one that didn't "get it" right away, I had to make him watch me scratch the litter (it was new litter obviously) and make scratch noises, then I set him in it and he finally got it.

Thanks so much for helping them, they are very lucky.

I hope things go good at the vet. It really wouldn't be a bad idea to go check and make sure there's not another one under the porch somewhere.
    Last edited by Dave Collins; 11-28-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Our 15-year-old cocker/collie mix is getting close. She has been such a gentle and wonderful companion. We are really, really struggling with deciding when it is the time to take her in to the vet let her go.

She has severe arthritis in her back hips and spine. She is on previcox for her arthritis and tramadol for her pain.

We recently got a kitten at the animal shelter who had been dumped in a rural area when she was too young to be away from her mother. She was bottle fed until we got her at six-weeks. She is now seven months old and almost full grown. She seems to think our sweet dog is her mother. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SQW1f1U8yk

She is our college son's dog, but has been such a member of the family for 15-years. We struggle with the decision as to when to take her in to end her life and misery. She is healthy except for her hips and spine. Sometimes she falls over. She has trouble getting up and getting down. We are struggling because she still wags her tail and seems to enjoy several aspects of her life. We do not want to fail her for our own selfish love for her.

How will we know when to take her in? We are really having a tough time with this.
    Last edited by Spitball; 12-01-2013 at 11:22 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Our 15-year-old cocker/collie mix is getting close. She has been such a gentle and wonderful companion. We are really, really struggling with deciding when it is the time to take her in to the vet let her go.

She has severe arthritis in her back hips and spine. She is on previcox for her arthritis and tramadol for her pain.

We recently got a kitten at the animal shelter who had been dumped in a rural area when she was too young to be away from her mother. She was bottle fed until we got her at six-weeks. She is now seven months old and almost full grown. She seems to think our sweet dog is her mother. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SQW1f1U8yk

She is our college son's dog, but has been such a member of the family for 15-years. We struggle with the decision as to when to take her in to end her life and misery. She is healthy except for her hips and spine. Sometimes she falls over. She has trouble getting up and getting down. We are struggling because she still wags her tail and seems to enjoy several aspects of her life. We do not want to fail her for our own selfish love for her.

How will we know when to take her in? We are really having a tough time with this.
    If she is still getting enjoyment, I would say let her be. Once the pain is too much she will let you know.

When even the simplest of everyday tasks is too uncomfortable, then it is time. Don't let the decision make you feel guilty, I have done that a few times even though I know it was the right decision. She has had 15 great years, you have done your part.
    Last edited by Jefferson24; 12-01-2013 at 11:55 PM.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

10. Likes:

Spitball (12-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    If she is still getting enjoyment, I would say let her be. Once the pain is too much she will let you know.

When even the simplest of everyday tasks is too uncomfortable, then it is time. Don't let the decision make you feel guilty, I have done that a few times even though I know it was the right decision. She has had 15 great years, you have done your part.
    Thank you, Jefferson. It has been a difficult time. She is such a loving dog and such an important member of our family.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

I won't go into a long, sad post about our loving and much loved Whiskers, but we are taking her in tomorrow to end her suffering. After many family discussions, it seems the most humane and loving way to help her end her life with some dignity and remove her pain. She has been such a loyal and loving family member. She will be missed.

I won't go into a long, sad post about our loving and much loved Whiskers, but we are taking her in tomorrow to end her suffering. After many family discussions, it seems the most humane and loving way to help her end her life with some dignity and remove her pain. She has been such a loyal and loving family member. She will be missed.
    I feel for you and your family. Those animals are able to carve out a special place in our hearts that you can't replace.

14. Likes:

Spitball (12-09-2013),SunDeck (12-09-2013)

Thank you, bucksfan2. We just arrived back home from the vet's office. It was very emotionally draining, but we know we have relieved her of her suffering. Our veterinarian and his staff were all very helpful and supportive.

Thank you, bucksfan2. We just arrived back home from the vet's office. It was very emotionally draining, but we know we have relieved her of her suffering. Our veterinarian and his staff were all very helpful and supportive.
    Hang in there, I went into a 6 month depression when my we had to put my dog Phoebe down. My wife said later she was about to make me seek help had I not come out of it when I did.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

17. Likes:

Spitball (12-09-2013)

It's one of the toughest things you have to do in that relationship, and it's your duty as the caretaker to make it as easy as it can be. You are a good man, you did best you could do, she above all knows that.

19. Likes:

Spitball (12-09-2013)

The hardest thing I ever did was putting down my old lab. He was in great shape spirit wise, but the body was just a wreck at 13 years old. He couldn't even go out to the bathroom and most of the time he couldn't stand up, his hind legs would just collapse. So, I steeled myself for the inevitable and made the appointment, but wouldn't you know it on the scheduled day he bounded up the steps and hopped right in the pickup just like he had hundreds of times before. So I called the vet to cancel and she said, "Steve, I know the old boy and although it's not my job to tell you when it's time, I want to remind you that he is not getting better." It was what I needed to hear, so I took him in and and sat in the room with him, his head on my lap and nodded to my vet/friend to do the deed. He gave me one last look, the same one he did when he wanted me to pet him, then put his head down and just seemed to go to sleep. I took off his collar and staggered out to my truck...his truck, and cried my way home. It was the loneliest ride ever.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

21. Likes:

Spitball (12-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    The hardest thing I ever did was putting down my old lab. He was in great shape spirit wise, but the body was just a wreck at 13 years old. He couldn't even go out to the bathroom and most of the time he couldn't stand up, his hind legs would just collapse. So, I steeled myself for the inevitable and made the appointment, but wouldn't you know it on the scheduled day he bounded up the steps and hopped right in the pickup just like he had hundreds of times before. So I called the vet to cancel and she said, "Steve, I know the old boy and although it's not my job to tell you when it's time, I want to remind you that he is not getting better." It was what I needed to hear, so I took him in and and sat in the room with him, his head on my lap and nodded to my vet/friend to do the deed. He gave me one last look, the same one he did when he wanted me to pet him, then put his head down and just seemed to go to sleep. I took off his collar and staggered out to my truck...his truck, and cried my way home. It was the loneliest ride ever.
    I've done the in home way both times, and carried the body to the car, did on the floor of my bedroom. It's a great relief to not have to travel, as cats pretty much hate that ride already.

23. Likes:

Spitball (12-09-2013)

Thank you, everyone. It is still extremely difficult but reading your empathetic stories has very honestly made me feel better.

This is a great and loving group of people.
    Last edited by Spitball; 12-09-2013 at 10:30 PM.

25. Likes:

bucksfan2 (12-10-2013)

Turn Off Ads?