Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Boy crossed the bridge today...

Re: My Boy crossed the bridge today...

Bucksfan - not much I can say to take away the pain. I have lost two dogs, two cats and a horse. I have two more dogs now and one is 13, so not long left for her. My very much beloved dog Sackett died over 10 years ago, and I still get choked up thinking about her. She got me through a divorce and moves from Indiana to Ohio (marrying again) to Montana, back to Ohio and finally, back to Montana.

I just know the joy they bring us far outweighs the pain of their loss...but it hurts about as bad as anything I have ever experienced. I would not live without dogs as companions, there is just too much upside.

It does get better day by day...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Pets are such wonderful family members. They love us so unconditionally.

We have a 13-year-old cocker and collie mix. She is on glucosamine, meloxicam, soloxine, and Benadryl for her arthritis, thyroid, and allergies. She has to eat Blue Buffalo dog food which is $33-something for a 15-pound bag. She has become expensive in her old age, but she is such a loving and loyal member of the family.

We all know the day will come soon. It is hard to think about.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Thank you guys for all the kind thoughts. Its getting a little, little bit better today, still miss him like crazy.

5. Likes:

Jefferson24 (07-20-2013)

Sent my beagle across the bridge today. Just shy of 9 years old. Disc problems that compromised her mobility. She could not even lay down comfortably without meds, just kept pacing and panting. Tough night. Just one left at the house now and my wife says that is it. Sure like having them around to share life with.

Told my little one that Liberty was going to heaven today, she got excited and happy. Wish I was as naive, one of the toughest decisions I have made.
    Last edited by Jefferson24; 07-20-2013 at 12:26 AM.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    Sent my beagle across the bridge today. Just shy of 9 years old. Disc problems that compromised her mobility. She could not even lay down comfortably without meds, just kept pacing and panting. Tough night. Just one left at the house now and my wife says that is it. Sure like having them around to share life with.

Told my little one that Liberty was going to heaven today, she got excited and happy. Wish I was as naive, one of the toughest decisions I have made.
    So sorry, give your wife some time, she will relent and let you get another dog.

I'm so sorry Jefferson!!! Hugs to you and your family.

I'm sorry for your loss. I believe you did the right thing though. Even though it's a very tough thing to do. Just let some time go by and your wife will probably want another one. We thought the same thing after our black cat died. After a while we just had to get another one. No better friends than pets.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Sorry to hear about that Jefferson. Looked like a cute dog and you daughter looked to love her. Still miss my boy like crazy but it gets better every day.

sorry to hear that.

How are you holding up?

Last winter my wife & I had to euthanize our 17 year old cat. He had gone blind a few months earlier (he likely had a brain tumor). He did great until about 2 weeks before he died. He was suffering at the end so we felt it was something we must do. I asked a friend of mine who is a Buddhist monk about it. He told me to look at it this way: my cat was no longer suffering.

I think the point of life is to live, love & help others not to suffer. This works no matter what your metaphysical beliefs are. Paradoxically being hedonistic or materialistic doesn't bring lasting joy. Living for others does.

Doing ok with it. I think I have come to terms and have stopped beating myself up everyday. Time helps.

Found out my oldest boy has the C and its mean and fast, just about turn 11 he's my constant companion.

Gonna be tough but the gifts he's given me means I owe him the best I can give him in the short time we have left.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Found out my oldest boy has the C and its mean and fast, just about turn 11 he's my constant companion.

Gonna be tough but the gifts he's given me means I owe him the best I can give him in the short time we have left.
    I am sorry to hear that WOY. Enjoy the time left you have with him.

Someone gave me this quote when my boy passed a few weeks ago, and while I am a dog person I am sure it applies to cats.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself."

Fortunately Dog Mountain is in my area.

http://www.dogmt.com/index.php?optio...id=7&Itemid=30

It was created by an artist called Stephen Hunick who is best known for My Dog's Brain

So sorry to hear that. Just make sure you make him comfortable and loved all the way through.

Sorry to hear that. And you're right, just spoil him like crazy.

The last two times we had to go through this we had a house-call vet come to our home...made the whole thing much easier and a lot less stressful for the dogs and us.

Turn Off Ads?