Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Boy crossed the bridge today...

Re: My Boy crossed the bridge today...

Pets are a little bit like children; they teach us more than we teach them.

I'm on my 3rd Labrador retriever. Cooper was first, then Elsa, and now Harper. 33 years worth of soft dog ears. Faithful and loving companions mixed with a whole lot of character. You can't ever replace them. You just get another one who is their own dog (or cat) with all of their own personality and they carve out their own episode in your life's arc. They're the same but they're different.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

It's so tough to lose a 'loved one'----and that's what pets are, except when we let them into our lives they transend the idea of a pet and become one of our family and always a part of us. I lost Remington a number of years ago and my 'redszone name' is a tribute to him. A fantastically loving Afghan Hound that was brave (protected our home against robbers) but really just wanted to be let up on the couch and fall asleep in your lap. I still remember him fondly and with wishes that I could scratch his ears again, but....

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

4. Likes:

Sea Ray (06-26-2013)

Sorry for your loss.
    Hang in there.

A lot of us treat pets much different now than people did in the past. They are truly part of the family. They are our kids. Unfortunately they have very short lives.

Please do not be offended by my following question, I am genuinely curious:

Is "crossing the rainbow bridge" a common term or did you make that up?

Also, my yellow lab, Shatner is goin on 12 years old and is starting to have leg and hip problems, every time my dad calls from back in Ohio, I just think its bad news about the pup, need to go home and see him soon.

Sorry for your loss

Common term for animals passing. Comes from this poem:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

8. Likes:

Dave Collins (11-12-2013),moewan (06-26-2013),remdog (06-26-2013)

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Losing a pet is nearly the same as a person for many of us. They are there for you everyday. Through the good times and the hard times. Never wanting anymore than some food and quick pet on the back. They give you unconditional love which is most pure form of affection anyone can ever receive.
    We had a cat for over 18 years. We got him not long after we were married and was with us all of those years. He was like a child to us since we couldn't have any children of our own. He had diabetes in his older years that turned into kidney problems that eventually lead to his death. When he died I had nearly the same feelings I had when my dad died. It's very hard but as in all things you move on with an ever present memory of the love they gave you.
    We waited a few months before we got another cat. I think we just couldn't stand the lonliness anymore and decided to get this cat my wife saw on the animal shelter bus that was at out local Unleashed store. We are sure glad we did. It's a Bengal Cat and the most affectionate cat we have ever had. Always ready for some petting. She flops over when you come in the door for a belly rub and will jump in your lap whenever you sit down. Just a great cat.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

10. Likes:

moewan (06-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    We waited a few months before we got another cat. I think we just couldn't stand the lonliness anymore and decided to get this cat my wife saw on the animal shelter bus that was at out local Unleashed store. We are sure glad we did. It's a Bengal Cat and the most affectionate cat we have ever had. Always ready for some petting. She flops over when you come in the door for a belly rub and will jump in your lap whenever you sit down. Just a great cat.
    Got a pic to show us?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Got a pic to show us?
    I'll try to remember to post one tonight when I get home.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I'll try to remember to post one tonight when I get home.
    Please! Bengals are *gorgeous* cats. And really super personalities.

It was hard coming home tonight and not having him meet me at the door. He *always* met me at the door, without fail.

So sorry for your loss. I know how much it hurts.

I lost my little guy yesterday. He was only 5 and a half but for the past year had a tendency to get into the garbage can and eat what was in there. He ended up eating a chicken carcass that we had cooked for dinner that day. He was fine for a day but ended up developing pancreatitis and we took him to the vet yesterday to get him treated. We left the vet hopeful that after a couple of days of treatment and we would have Palmer back to his old self. About 8 hours later at our daughters 1st birthday party we got the fateful call that Palmer had taken a turn for the worse and died.

My wife and myself have been a mess over the past 24 hours. We adopted Palmer from a shelter as a 6 week old puppy about 4 months before our wedding. We grew as a family together. Palmer taught us more and meant more to us than he ever knew. When we would fight he would hide under the desk. When we had a bad day at work he was there with a wagging tail to greet us as we walked though the door. Our family became the 3 of us and that became our identity. As a family we walked him more than any other dog in the neighborhood. When our daughter came along it became the 4 of us. My daughter loves to get Cheerio's on her tray and throw them to Palmer.

Most of all I think I will miss him greeting me at the garage door after a day of work. His excitement when we would say "walk" or "car ride." Just the everyday noises of a dog that you have grown accustomed to over the years you have had him. Part of me is upset that we only got 5 1/2 years with him but another part of me is happy that we were able to give him 5 1/2 years of our love. Everything was unexpected and we never were really able to give him a proper goodbye.

This thread made me smile and cry. Dogs (and pets in general) have a way of getting into our hearts. They make us smile and cry. They make us better people and ask for little in return. I will miss my little boy dearly and he will forever have a special place in my wive and my hearts.

Sorry for your loss, it's tough when they are still so young, real tough.

Very sorry for your loss, bucksfan2.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I am so, so sorry bucksfan2! Hugs to you and your family.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Man that stinks. So sorry.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Turn Off Ads?