Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 6/26/13 - Reds @ Athletics

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Re: 6/26/13 - Reds @ Athletics

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    Our numbers 6-9 of our batting order are statistically amongst the worst offensively in baseball. Choo and Phillips have been in a steady decline for weeks. Our bench hitters started well, but have been automatic outs for weeks.

Bottom line is, IMO, except for a few, our offensive players are just average to way below average hitters.
    better than having them bat #1 & #2 like a lot of last year!
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

2. Turn Off Ads?

No score through two.

BP with the nice catch -- oh wait

I miss Raisor

5 pitch 3rd.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

The Reds swung at every pitch that inning.
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

That must have been a quick inning for the Reds. I switched over to the Aaron Hernandez coverage and switched back maybe a minute later?

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    That must have been a quick inning for the Reds. I switched over to the Aaron Hernandez coverage and switched back maybe a minute later?
    yes -- could not take a pitch

I miss Raisor

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    yes -- could not take a pitch
    Dan O'Brien just shed a tear.

10. Likes:

Red Raindog (06-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    I think Kc was referring to the Reds BA w/RISP and two outs. It's third worst in the NL and dropping fast. Even Joey has struggled bigtime in those situations. I believe he's hitting under .150 now. It's definitely been an issue for this team.
    I did start a thread on this.

I agree that the Reds are an injury depleted team and also have some deficiencies in the offense and the bullpen. And guys like Choo have slumped.

But I do think there is an element of succumbing to pressure which traces back before this season, I'm referring to the Giants playoff series.

The offense in particular seems to press in bigger games. Also, the team lacks contact hitters, still has a lot of guys swinging for the fences. A low BA team.

But I don't think the answer is that obvious, the Reds absolutely destroy bad teams but are 15-25 against teams with a .500 record or better.

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    Our numbers 6-9 of our batting order are statistically amongst the worst offensively in baseball. Choo and Phillips have been in a steady decline for weeks. Our bench hitters started well, but have been automatic outs for weeks.

Bottom line is, IMO, except for a few, our offensive players are just average to way below average hitters.
    Down the right track. It's really been the #2, #7 and #8 slots (minus Mes) that have been killers. Depth is also a major factor in addition to not slotting enough AB's to Devin.

Think about this, the Reds have over 440AB's this season of sub .525 OPS and sub .250 OBP in Lutz, Izturis, Hannigan, Hanrahan, Heisey. That's averaging about 6AB's a game. This is due to Heisey way underperforming, Hannigan's regression and way too many unplanned AB's for the rest.

Cozart is at ~.700 OPS taking out April. While not helping the cause, he's not a killer especially at SS when he is placed deep in the order where he belongs.

Bailey has the breaking balls working -- sweet

I miss Raisor

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Down the right track. It's really been the #2, #7 and #8 slots (minus Mes) that have been killers. Depth is also a major factor in addition to not slotting enough AB's to Devin.

Think about this, the Reds have over 440AB's this season of sub .525 OPS and sub .250 OBP in Lutz, Izturis, Hannigan, Hanrahan, Heisey. That's averaging about 6AB's a game. This is due to Heisey way underperforming, Hannigan's regression and way too many unplanned AB's for the rest.

Cozart is at ~.700 OPS taking out April. While not helping the cause, he's not a killer especially at SS when he is placed deep in the order where he belongs.
    Ok, but does all this account for the huge disparity in record between opponents with .500 or better records and those below .500?

Reds have some lineup problems and bullpen problems. But I don't think any other team in baseball has such a disparity in its record against the two categories of opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I did start a thread on this.

I agree that the Reds are an injury depleted team and also have some deficiencies in the offense and the bullpen. And guys like Choo have slumped.

But I do think there is an element of succumbing to pressure which traces back before this season, I'm referring to the Giants playoff series.

The offense in particular seems to press in bigger games. Also, the team lacks contact hitters, still has a lot of guys swinging for the fences. A low BA team.

But I don't think the answer is that obvious, the Reds absolutely destroy bad teams but are 15-25 against teams with a .500 record or better.
    I think few are good situational hitters --- going to right side when it is called for seems to rarely happen

I miss Raisor

Bruce still has his bum status

I miss Raisor

nice use of the shades there by Donaldson

I miss Raisor

Turn Off Ads?