Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 83 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The point is Garza isn't much of an upgrade over Cingrani, except in experience. The upgrade is moving Cingrani to the pen, which lasts one half year, when Garza leaves in the off season. Not worth top prospects, imo. If the Reds had a hole in the rotation, then maybe, but they don't.
    Don't forget Reds would get a first round pick for Garza with a qualifying offer.

Question then becomes is the potential downgrade from Hamilton to a first round pick in 2014 worth having Garza in the rotation and Cingrani/Russell in the 'pen for half a season?

(Figure Hoover and Rogers for DeJesus is roughly a wash in value.)
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Sounds like the Nationals were the mystery team.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Don't forget Reds would get a first round pick for Garza with a qualifying offer.

Question then becomes is the potential downgrade from Hamilton to a first round pick in 2014 worth having Garza in the rotation and Cingrani/Russell in the 'pen for half a season?

(Figure Hoover and Rogers for DeJesus is roughly a wash in value.)
    The real question is who can top the likely Olt, Ramirez package that the Cubs are going to get for Garza. Joc Pederson and Zach Lee with possibly an Onelki Garcia kicker could do it and probably get Kevin Gregg too. LA would be scary with Garza and money would be no issue.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sounds like the Nationals were the mystery team.
    Link?

Edit: I see on MLBTraderumors now.
    Last edited by mth123; 07-19-2013 at 08:02 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The real question is who can top the likely Olt, Ramirez package that the Cubs are going to get for Garza. Joc Pederson and Zach Lee with possibly an Onelki Garcia kicker could do it and probably get Kevin Gregg too. LA would be scary with Garza and money would be no issue.
    Exactly. Benihana's trade proposal makes some sense for the Reds, but it's not realistice give what has been reported. That package probably doesn't get Garza by himself.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

I'm assuming at this point that Ludwick's progress makes a trade for an outfielder less likely. I'd like to see the Reds pick up a backup infielder who can hit, but they don't make many of those. If Rollins would come available, go after him and make Zach Amadeus Cozart a backup for the rest of the season. Maybe pick up another bullpen arm. Other than that, this isn't likely to be an interesting trade season for the Reds.

Now watch Walt prove me wrong.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I'm assuming at this point that Ludwick's progress makes a trade for an outfielder less likely. I'd like to see the Reds pick up a backup infielder who can hit, but they don't make many of those. If Rollins would come available, go after him and make Zach Amadeus Cozart a backup for the rest of the season. Maybe pick up another bullpen arm. Other than that, this isn't likely to be an interesting trade season for the Reds.

I don't see them getting a LFer either. Maybe a bench guy, but that'd be about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Not anymore, no qualifying offers to free agents who haven't been on the team for a full season.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I'd like to see them swing a deal for Bastardo. His k rate is a bit down this year, but would settle things down nicely in the pen.

Opposing lefty hitters would be pretty much neutralized after the sixth inning.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

11. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-20-2013)

To be quite honest, I don't see the Reds doing anything.

I think they changed the rules.
    If you trade for a pending FA after the season starts, you don't get a chance to offer arbitration and get the draft pick. I don't remember it exactly, but if the Reds got Garza tomorrow, I'm pretty sure, they can't make a qualifying offer and get a pick.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

14. Likes:

Hubba (07-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post

Rollins is 34 (35 in November), signed for 2014 at $11 Million and has a vesting option that will guaranteee 2015 for another $11 Milllion. His line is .257/.317/.343/.660. That's barely an upgrade over Cozart's line (a hot week from Cozart would put them at about the same OPS level). He's slowed considerably in the field and on the bases (he used to be one of the best baserunners in the game IMO). I wouldn't mind having him at near the minimum to share time with Cozart, but at that cost the Reds would be forced to cut back eslewhere (Rotation?) or they'd need to give Philly something pretty valuable to get them to pay most of the money. Seems like a hefty price for a pretty small upgrade. He's probably one of the worst targets out there for that reason IMO.

16. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-20-2013),Hubba (07-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I think they changed the rules.
    If you trade for a pending FA after the season starts, you don't get a chance to offer arbitration and get the draft pick. I don't remember it exactly, but if the Reds got Garza tomorrow, I'm pretty sure, they can't make a qualifying offer and get a pick.
    Correct. No comp picks for guys acquired during the season.

Good catch.

We've seen enough guys come back and not last this season that the Reds shouldn't sit still and count on injured guys returning. I think they need another arm for the pen and another OF. Even if all those guys come back, there is still enough fringe on the roster that there is room to acquire guys. Acquire a guy and push Robinson off the roster. If Ludwick comes back, well Xavier Paul or Jack Hannahan can go on the DL until September 1.

Ondrusek and Partch can be sent down. Even Hoover could be pushed aside for a couple weeks if Broxton and Marshall return. They'd probably need to include at least one of these guys in a deal anyway.

Who is to say that Simon, Lecure or Parra wouldn't be the next guy to go down? Can't have enough good players IMO.

19. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-20-2013)

Snippet filtered through my 11yo son, and his 11yo friend, who sat next to a San Diego scout in Dayton last night. That is all I know. He could have been there to see Beloit for all I know.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Turn Off Ads?