Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 83 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jones1 View Post
    How bout Marlon Byrd. He could come real cheap, plays all 3 OF spots well and has put up very good numbers this season. He's also one of the best at hitting with runners in scoring position this season in MLB. When Ludwick comes back he can play a bench role and wont cost the Reds a top prospect. Hes only getting paid 700k this season as well an the Mets are going no where. Perfect candidate IMHO.

Signed to a minor-league contract over the offseason, Byrd is 35 and owed just $280,000 for the remainder the season, an attractive price tag. Due to his age, he does not figure to be in the Mets’ long-term plans.

Since he began playing every day on June 1, Byrd is hitting .299 with nine home runs, 27 RBI and a .899 on-base-plus-slugging percentage. His 15 home runs — five shy of a career high — and 51 RBI lead the Mets. Defensively, he has posted six outfield assists.

Marlon Byrd Stats
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...byrdma01.shtml
    Agree that Byrd may be a good idea. Mets are said to want something significant for him though. Wonder if somebody like Partch would be enough. Or Robinson for that matter. Doubt you'd get him for a fringe minor leaguer.

I'd deal Robinson for Byrd right now and be pretty happy about it. Heck I'd kick in one of the 40 man roster clutter guys if the Mets want. Ravin or Lotzkar? No problem, take them both.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Agree that Byrd may be a good idea. Mets are said to want something significant for him though. Wonder if somebody like Partch would be enough. Or Robinson for that matter. Doubt you'd get him for a fringe minor leaguer.

I'd deal Robinson for Byrd right now and be pretty happy about it. Heck I'd kick in one of the 40 man roster clutter guys if the Mets want. Ravin or Lotzkar? No problem, take them both.
    I'd do any of the guys you mentioned. However I'm not sure Marlon Byrd by himself gets this team over the edge.
    Go BLUE!!!

The Mets are unusual. They play in a tough market. They won't just trade off salary at this point. They feel compelled to be decent. Lot of pressure on them.

They are probably a lousy team to trade with. They will want too much IMO.

I doubt any of the names mentioned will do it for Byrd or any player of value on the team. From Mets perspective they have a weak outfield. Trading Byrd just makes it weaker.

At the deadline they would trade, but my guess is they would ask for someone like Yorman Rodriguez.

Reds would be better off dealing with a team in more of a fire sale mode. Just an opinion.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-21-2013 at 09:39 AM.

5. Likes:

remdog (07-22-2013)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

So you'd trade the Reds' sixth outfielder/AAAA player for the guy who is second on the Mets in OPS? Really? Man, I'm not sure I'd make that deal. Robinson AND Lotzkar? Oh, wait, yeah, that'll get it done.

/sarcasm
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

7. Likes:

CesarGeronimo (07-21-2013)

Do we really expect a Robinson or a Partch to fetch a Byrd? Seems unlikely to me, at best.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Robinson is 25, cheap has speed, defense and has gotten on base this year at an OK rate. Partch throws in the upper 90s. Byrd is in his mid-30s and doesn't have much value to the Mets. If I was the Mets I wouldn't want Robinson (but given their thin OF they may want a 25 y/o with some tools), but I'd deal Byrd for Partch unless I could get a better offer elsewhere. That's really it. There isn't much reason to keep Byrd from the Mets perspective at this point (though I acknowledge KC's logic seems to be how the Mets have played it so far).

I have doubts that the Mets would get much more given Byrd's situation.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The Mets are unusual. They play in a tough market. They won't just trade off salary at this point. They feel compelled to be decent. Lot of pressure on them.

They are probably a lousy team to trade with. They will want too much IMO.

I doubt any of the names mentioned will do it for Byrd or any player of value on the team. From Mets perspective they have a weak outfield. Trading Byrd just makes it weaker.

At the deadline they would trade, but my guess is they would ask for someone like Yorman Rodriguez.

Reds would be better off dealing with a team in more of a fire sale mode. Just an opinion.
    I'd guess the number of teams in fire sale mode would be close to zero. The market is so remarkably different from even five years ago. I don't see the Mets being hesitant to trade Byrd, honestly. They're bad this season, the fan base knows it, and nobody's going to raise a stink. The Mets are talent thin all over, so they'll probably want more than just Partch, but they won't demand anything of real value, just a handful of minor league scratch off tickets.

Though the Mets aren't the brightest franchise, so they may just cling to the hope they're not still a financial and managerial mess.

Robinson is 25, cheap has speed, defense and has gotten on base this year at an OK rate. Partch throws in the upper 90s. Byrd is in his mid-30s and doesn't have much value to the Mets. If I was the Mets I wouldn't want Robinson (but given their thin OF they may want a 25 y/o with some tools), but I'd deal Byrd for Partch unless I could get a better offer elsewhere. That's really it. There isn't much reason to keep Byrd from the Mets perspective at this point (though I acknowledge KC's logic seems to be how the Mets have played it so far).

I have doubts that the Mets would get much more given Byrd's situation.
    Also not sure Reds want to trade Partch right now. Bullpen depth is problematic with all the injuries. He now has some MLB experience and provides insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Also not sure Reds want to trade Partch right now. Bullpen depth is problematic with all the injuries. He now has some MLB experience and provides insurance.
    I think the Reds need to make 2 deals. Veteran bullpen guys are out there. The Reds need to take a minor leaguer or two and go get one. Then they need to make a young hard thrower with late inning/closer potential available for an OF bat. Hoover is probably the guy who would get the most action, but Partch has potential and would be as much as I'd go for Byrd. I'd happily deal Hoover for somebody better. The Reds need to pick-up the vet reliever first though.

Partch is not going to be a center piece of any trade. He is a loogy right now.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

Quote Originally Posted by alexad View Post
    RH LOOGY? Sure. You're probably right on what he could fetch though.

Except he's a right hander.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I'd guess the number of teams in fire sale mode would be close to zero. The market is so remarkably different from even five years ago. I don't see the Mets being hesitant to trade Byrd, honestly. They're bad this season, the fan base knows it, and nobody's going to raise a stink. The Mets are talent thin all over, so they'll probably want more than just Partch, but they won't demand anything of real value, just a handful of minor league scratch off tickets.

Though the Mets aren't the brightest franchise, so they may just cling to the hope they're not still a financial and managerial mess.
    The Mets have a big public relations problem. Selling off decent players for non-prospects will only make it worse.

This isn't the usual trade deadline, get rid of salary, get what you can in return situation.

But we'll see what they do if anything.

RH LOOGY? Sure. You're probably right on what he could fetch though.
    ROOGY!

Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

18. Likes:

Always Red (07-24-2013),Brutus (07-21-2013),Donder (07-21-2013),Edd Roush (07-21-2013),kbrake (07-21-2013),mth123 (07-21-2013),Revering4Blue (07-21-2013),RiverRat13 (07-21-2013),Superdude (07-21-2013),Tom Servo (07-21-2013),traderumor (07-21-2013),TRF (07-23-2013)

Byrd hit another HR today. Lets go get this guy. Players like Rios and Young will require the moon.

Turn Off Ads?