Turn Off Ads?
Page 82 of 83 FirstFirst ... 3272787980818283 LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 1235

Thread: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread

It'd be a radical change for baseball, but I wonder if the lack of deadline activity (due to parity and the addition of more playoff spots) might be offset by the idea of letting players go out "on loan" to other clubs similar to the way things are done by soccer clubs in Europe.

You probably wouldn't see a lot of pitchers move (due to the inherent risk that they'll be abused by a team that doesn't have to worry about long-term implications) unless there was lots of fine print regarding compensation if an injury occurs, but it could open up activity for position players mired on basement squads.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    It'd be a radical change for baseball, but I wonder if the lack of deadline activity (due to parity and the addition of more playoff spots) might be offset by the idea of letting players go out "on loan" to other clubs similar to the way things are done by soccer clubs in Europe.

You probably wouldn't see a lot of pitchers move (due to the inherent risk that they'll be abused by a team that doesn't have to worry about long-term implications) unless there was lots of fine print regarding compensation if an injury occurs, but it could open up activity for position players mired on basement squads.
    That would be crazy. I kind of like the idea, especially in the wake of this dud-line. Maybe put limits on the loaned players, like 1 per team. No way would a team loan out Cabrera or Votto or the like would they? Cool idea.

I'm not sure we want to radically change the rules of player acquisitions just to encourage a better trade deadline. I know it is high drama and a lot of entertainment for folks like us, but July 31 isn't really supposed to be the point of the baseball season.

I don't want my favorite sport borrowing anything from soccer. Boo.

6. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (08-01-2013),Wonderful Monds (08-02-2013)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I'm not sure we want to radically change the rules of player acquisitions just to encourage a better trade deadline. I know it is high drama and a lot of entertainment for folks like us, but July 31 isn't really supposed to be the point of the baseball season.
    Encourage a better trade deadline, or also give small-market teams a way to mine value out of their assets.

Case in point -- in years past, the Reds could have acquired valuable prospects for loaning guys like Adam Dunn out at the deadline to teams in desperate need of a bat. Or, this year, the Reds could have parted with some lesser talent to take a guy to fill in LF until Ludwick gets back or for the stretch run if he never does.

Additionally, teams in the thick of a race could also loan guys out to teams mired in the basement to get them additional PT. A guy ready for a look at the majors when rosters expand could be loaned out to a non-contender in order to see daily ABs (where he would otherwise ride the pine with his parent club).

There's no way it would ever happen, but it's an interesting thing to think about.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    An unintended consequence of moving the deadline closer to the end of the season is more teams could actually pull closer and decide not to sell.

Also, the player getting traded has even less impact for the new team, so it becomes less worth it to trade a player.

Here's a thought, perhaps the competitive balance in baseball is coming on. Teams have hope. It's almost like the NFL, no trades happen.
    I agree with this. Expanding on that a little is the addition of the second wild card that keeps even more teams in contention and therefore less willing to sell. Further, teams are putting a much higher premium on prospects. I suspect that a lot of players rumored to be available were only available at a king's ransom in prospects that buyers were unwilling to pay.

The flip side of this is that August waiver deals may become more likely. The prices should fall. As teams fall out of contention for a wild card spot, they may be more likely to trade a player they don't plan to keep to get the contract off the books and at least get a lesser prospect in return. There will be fewer buyers and those that remain will receive less value from the player they receive.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I agree with this. Expanding on that a little is the addition of the second wild card that keeps even more teams in contention and therefore less willing to sell. Further, teams are putting a much higher premium on prospects. I suspect that a lot of players rumored to be available were only available at a king's ransom in prospects that buyers were unwilling to pay.

The flip side of this is that August waiver deals may become more likely. The prices should fall. As teams fall out of contention for a wild card spot, they may be more likely to trade a player they don't plan to keep to get the contract off the books and at least get a lesser prospect in return. There will be fewer buyers and those that remain will receive less value from the player they receive.
    I think you need to consider that you no longer are able to get a comp pick for a guy you traded for mid season. If you trade for a guy in his contract year, knowing that you aren't going to sign him, you still could offer him arbitration and receive that comp pick. With the new collective bargaining agreement you don't receive a comp pick unless the player has been with you for an entire year.

Speaking of August waiver trades. Have there been any huge trades at this time? Has there been any stars traded during this time that is regarded as a blockbuster trade?

Any ideas of who may be available this year?
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    Speaking of August waiver trades. Have there been any huge trades at this time? Has there been any stars traded during this time that is regarded as a blockbuster trade?

Any ideas of who may be available this year?
    Ever? Walt traded for Larry Walker in August.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Ever? Walt traded for Larry Walker in August.
    Yes I meant blockbuster trades ever, but I was wondering if anybody thought of someone who might be available this year that could help us too.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Yes I meant blockbuster trades ever, but I was wondering if anybody thought of someone who might be available this year that could help us too.
    For starters there was the Nick Punto et al for Allen Webster et al trade last year:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...onzaad01.shtml

August 25, 2012: Traded by the Boston Red Sox- Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford, Nick Punto and cash to the Los Angeles Dodgers for players to be named later, Ivan De Jesus, James Loney and Allen Webster. The Los Angeles Dodgers sent Rubby De La Rosa (October 4, 2012) and Jerry Sands (October 4, 2012) to the Boston Red Sox to complete the trade.

14. Likes:

BungleBengals (08-01-2013),RedEye (08-01-2013)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Brandon Lyon Exercises Opt-Out Clause

By Aaron Steen [August 1 at 5:56pm CST]

Brandon Lyon exercised the opt-out clause in his contract and was granted his release from the Red Sox's Triple-A affiliate, the minor-league club announced. Lyon, 33, did so after learning there wasn't a spot available for him in the major league team's bullpen, Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal tweets.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

August 26, 2003

The San Diego Padres traded a player to be named later, Jason Bay and Oliver Perez to the Pittsburgh Pirates for Brian Giles. The San Diego Padres sent Corey Stewart (minors) (October 2, 2003) to the Pittsburgh Pirates to complete the trade.
    Oddly enough, both teams were well out of the playoff race at the time and both benefited from the deal.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    For starters there was the Nick Punto et al for Allen Webster et al trade last year:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...onzaad01.shtml

August 25, 2012: Traded by the Boston Red Sox- Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford, Nick Punto and cash to the Los Angeles Dodgers for players to be named later, Ivan De Jesus, James Loney and Allen Webster. The Los Angeles Dodgers sent Rubby De La Rosa (October 4, 2012) and Jerry Sands (October 4, 2012) to the Boston Red Sox to complete the trade.
    I dont know how people forget about this only a year later.

18. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (08-02-2013)

Just A Couple Johnny's OneManBand's Avatar

Reds trade Adam Dunn to the DBacks for the unattractive Dallas.. Dallas Buck & 2 other prospects.

Turn Off Ads?