Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dear Astros,

Dear Astros,

I really miss you. Can you please come back into loving arms of the National League Central? Your .673 OPS last year was truly divine. Your team WHIP of 1.43 made my heart sing. Come back to me.

My Reds were 41-20 against you over the last four years. You are the only difference between last years and this years Reds' team. At this point last season, the Reds were 66-43 and were 7-2 against you, Houston. This year the Reds are 60-49 and haven't gotten the pleasure of going to your lovely park with its weird hill and train thingy.

Please, bring back Jose Altuve. My beloved Reds could use a couple of outings against that Harrell guy and his 1.645 WHIP.

Please, come back into the National League.

Lovingly,
    Improbus
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Likes:

RedEye (08-02-2013),reds44 (08-02-2013),WildcatFan (08-02-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dear Astros,

Remember, the Cards and Pirates would also have played them. It's not all that simple.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Hey, the Reds still get a 3 games series with the Astros in mid-September.

6. Likes:

Always Red (08-02-2013),HeatherC1212 (08-02-2013),marcshoe (08-02-2013),reds44 (08-02-2013),Tom Servo (08-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Remember, the Cards and Pirates would also have played them. It's not all that simple.
    I totally get it, but: Astros in NL Central = Guaranteed Wild Card spot.

Ask the Athletics, they are 11-1 vs. the Astros this year. Without the Astros, they would be 52-44. With the Astros they are 63-45. Wow.

8. Likes:

Always Red (08-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    It is marked on my calendar.

BTW, Erik Bedard and Wesley Wright are the only two Astros to make over $1 million this year. Bedard makes 1.15 and Wright makes 1.02. Their entire team is arbitration or pre-arbitration eligible next year, except for Bedard. It is unbelievable. The only committed salary for next year is the $5.5 million they owe Wandy Rodriguez next year to play for the Pirates.

Also, the Pirates and Cardinals have already played the Astros.

The Astro's are an embarrassment to baseball.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Yep, I'm going to all 3. Looking forward to it quite a bit.

13. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (08-02-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    It is marked on my calendar.

BTW, Erik Bedard and Wesley Wright are the only two Astros to make over $1 million this year. Bedard makes 1.15 and Wright makes 1.02. Their entire team is arbitration or pre-arbitration eligible next year, except for Bedard. It is unbelievable. The only committed salary for next year is the $5.5 million they owe Wandy Rodriguez next year to play for the Pirates.
    Yep. And they have built one of the best farm systems in the game in just 2 years. Give that club 3 to 5 years...and they're gonna be DARNED good. And with the finances to maintain it.

15. Likes:

Always Red (08-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    And with the finances to maintain it.
    That's something I think many tend to overlook. They have the resources to spend as they play in the 4th biggest US city and as recent as 2010 the payroll was $92.4 million.

At the moment, they are merely conserving their money instead of spending it friviously during a dead period. It may not be the best strategy for selling tickets, but if you ask me, it's smart.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

17. Likes:

Razor Shines (08-02-2013),Revering4Blue (08-02-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (08-02-2013)

The Astros team payroll is at 13 million today, there are 66 players in the game who make at least that much.

Not just the 3 games with the Astros in September, but the Reds entire September schedule looks very favorable. 16 home, 10 away. 3 against Houston, 3 against the Mets, 3 against Milwaukee, 3 against the Cubs, 4 against the Cards, 6 against the Pirates. It could be an epic month. Or it could be horrible.

I'm just happy the Reds are in a 5 team division rather than 6. This phase of the Astros will pass.

Yeah. The six team division was a joke.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Altuve was a pain in the butt.

Turn Off Ads?