Turn Off Ads?
Page 73 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2363697071727374757677 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1235

Thread: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Neftali Soto for Marlon Byrd is about to happen - that is my guess.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OneManBand View Post
    Apparently we asked about Byrd..
    Source? Link?

It would be helpful to include where such information is coming from.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    I didn't say a word about the cost of Jake Peavy because that wasn't the question.
    But the cost is the reason the trade makes no sense and isn't even worth discussion. Peavy to us is a marginal upgrade at best. To Boston he's a vital rotation piece. Bidding against them would be the epitome of foolish decision making regardless of whether or not the team was "upgraded".

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    But the cost is the reason the trade makes no sense and isn't even worth discussion. Peavy to us is a marginal upgrade at best. To Boston he's a vital rotation piece. Bidding against them would be the epitome of foolish decision making regardless of whether or not the team was "upgraded".
    Wooo!!!

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Get Michael Morse. The M's apparently really want to move him. Yeah he sucks in left, but this team won with Jonny Gomes in left field.

Any chance we can keep speculation in this thread to a minimum till after the deadline? Just report facts as they become posted with links? Don't worry about scooping people, no one's getting paid for scoops.

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Boy, I'm just not sure how to respond to this.

The question I answered was "Has anybody been moved yet that would be an upgrade for the Reds?"

As I detailed, putting Peavy into the rotation puts Cingrani into the lefty out of the pen role. I'll take that team and you can have Manny Para as your lefty.

I don't think Para is worthless.
    I didn't say a word about the cost of Jake Peavy because that wasn't the question.

I think it's a better team with Cingrani as the bullpen's lefty than Para. Upgrading around the edges counts too.

The 1990 team didn't need Billy Doran, but they were a better team with him on the roster.
    Even if SP:Peavy/RP:Cingrani is better than SP:Cingrani/RP:Parra - and I'm not sure I agree that Peavy is better than Cingrani as a SP or that Cingrani is better than Parra as a situational lefty - it's at the margins, and not going to change the outcome (almost certainly the second wild card) for the rest of this season. Sure, "upgrading around the edges" can help a little bit, but it's not closing a 5 game gap in the standings.

Then you're left to look at the post-season and Cingrani, adding Peavy or not, is going to be available in the bullpen because we'll need at most four starters and we have them already.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Any chance we can keep speculation in this thread to a minimum till after the deadline? Just report facts as they become posted with links? Don't worry about scooping people, no one's getting paid for scoops.
    We get paid in Likes.

10. Likes:

Big Klu (07-31-2013),MillerTime58 (07-31-2013),texasdave (07-31-2013),Tom Servo (07-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    We get paid in Likes.
    Too true, the mead we all crave....

12. Likes:

Big Klu (07-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I find it depressing that fans here keep "shooting for" the final wild card spot. Like it's a certifiable fact that we won't win the division. Sad.
    Is it a certifiable fact no, but at a certain point the math starts getting challenging and we are quickly approaching that point. As of today

If the Pirates play .500 ball the rest of the way, the Reds need to go 33-21 .611 the rest of the way just to tie.

If the Pirates play just +5 over the rest of the way, the Reds need to go 38-16, .704 the rest of the way just to tie.

The problem is compounded by the fact the Reds are in 3rd. Even if the Pirates completely collapse, you are looking at the same type math to catch StL.

In a season where the whole has underperformed the sum of the individual parts I am not optimistic the Reds play .700 ball over the remainder of the season or Pittsburgh AND St Louis both collapse.

14. Likes:

dfs (07-31-2013),Falls City Beer (07-31-2013),REDREAD (07-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Source? Link?

https://twitter.com/AdamRubinESPN/st...30549707300864
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

So Bud Norris is the feast of the day. Bud. Norris.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Source? Link?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...rlon-byrd.html

I like the Pads getting Kennedy. If I was a Pads fan.

Thanks. It's too bad that it was phrased as being in the past tense, though.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?