Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 83 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Yahoo! has a Reds team report saying Ludwick goes out on rehab Monday. That would start a 20 game clock. Who knows how many games he actually needs? But this is obvious progress.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-20-2013),REDREAD (07-22-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Yahoo! has a Reds team report saying Ludwick goes out on rehab Monday. That would start a 20 game clock. Who knows how many games he actually needs? But this is obvious progress.
    Ludwick injury really really sucks. It's handicapping the Reds ability to possibly fill the LF offensive hole. It will be too late to see if Ludwick can perform to make a trade. I really really hope Ludwick can boost this offense like last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    Ludwick injury really really sucks. It's handicapping the Reds ability to possibly fill the LF offensive hole. It will be too late to see if Ludwick can perform to make a trade. I really really hope Ludwick can boost this offense like last year.
    I don't see it as a handicap, I see it as, hooray we get Ryan Ludwick back! If he wasn't well enough to go out on a rehab assignment they wouldn't send him. Lets see what happens next week.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

6. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-20-2013)

I was talking about Ludwick and the trade deadline. Most in this forum agree the LF is a weak spot and could use an upgrade. Right now, we have no idea when Ludwick will return or how well he'll preform.

So the Reds need to decide now if they need to trade to upgrade LF now or stick with Ludwick.

8. Likes:

mth123 (07-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    I was talking about Ludwick and the trade deadline. Most in this forum agree the LF is a weak spot and could use an upgrade. Right now, we have no idea when Ludwick will return or how well he'll preform.

So the Reds need to decide now if they need to trade to upgrade LF now or stick with Ludwick.
    Agreed. The Reds can't count on Ludwick. How may times have we seen it this season where a guy looks like he's on the verge of returning only to be delayed aother month or go right back on the DL? Get somebody and worry about how to fit them on the 25 man when it's a problem. If Ludwick doesn't come back, we can't leave so may PAs in the hands of Paul and Robinson IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2 interesting bits from Rosenthal via MLBtR:

The Reds are one of the teams that have inquired about the Phillies' Michael Young, but they remain in a difficult spot. *Three of their most important pitchers, Jonathan Broxton, Johnny Cueto, and Sean Marshall, remain on the DL. *They're getting below average production out of third base and left field and both prospect depth and payroll flexibility are issues. *A healthy Ryan Ludwick would help matters as well, but he hasn't played the entire season and he relies on timing more than most.
    It'll be interesting to see what the*White Sox*get for Alex Rios if they decide to deal him. *Position players are usually easier to move in the winter and clubs view his deal differently. *He earns $12.5MM per season through 2014 with a $13.5MM club option for 2015. *On one hand, that's a reasonable price tag for someone who hits 20 homers, gets 20 steals, and can play outstanding defense. *On the other, as recently as 2011, he had a .613 OPS. *For the White Sox to make a worthwhile deal, they may have to throw in prospects and cash.
    Go BLUE!!!

Young's WAR this year is 0.4 (and it was worse last year), Frazier's is 2.3. Most of that is because Frazier is a good defender and Young is a really bad one, but I'll pass.
    Last edited by reds44; 07-20-2013 at 05:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

12. Likes:

bigredmechanism (07-21-2013),Edd Roush (07-20-2013),Raisor (07-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Young's WAR this year is 0.4 (and it was worse last year), Frazier's is 2.3. Most of that is because Frazier is a good defender and Young is a really bad one, but I'll pass.
    Young wouldn't be replacing Frazier. He'd be replacing Robinson and playing LF until Ludwick is ready.

What's nice about Young is that he can play the corner IF spots as well as the corner outfield spots. He could even fill in at second for a game or two.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Young wouldn't be replacing Frazier. He'd be replacing Robinson and playing LF until Ludwick is ready.

What's nice about Young is that he can play the corner IF spots as well as the corner outfield spots. He could even fill in at second for a game or two.
    Nice versatility. Does he play the OF any better than he plays the IF? If so, he might be a good pickup to bat #2 and play LF. It will be hard to have enough ABs once Ludwick gets back, but that's why you have a "player's manager" like Dusty I suppose.

He can't play anywhere defensively really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

16. Likes:

LoganBuck (07-20-2013)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Angels Designate Brendan Harris For Assignment
    By Aaron Steen [July 20 at 5:19pm CST]
    The Angels have designated infielder Brendan Harris for assignment, team communications director Eric Kay announced via Twitter. The team has recalled infielder Tommy Field in a corresponding move, Kay adds.

Harris, 32, was batting .206/.252/.355 in 117 plate appearances this year for the Angels. He has major league experience with all four infield positions, though he's spent the most time at shortstop. A career .256/.314/.381 hitter, Harris last saw regular action in 2009 with the Twins.

We were also told that the team would unwind defensively with Choo in center. Hasn't happened. LF is far easier. It would be a solid move/hedge.

I never said "well."

Regardless, it's hard to argue he's not an improvement over Robinson.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

How bout Marlon Byrd. He could come real cheap, plays all 3 OF spots well and has put up very good numbers this season. He's also one of the best at hitting with runners in scoring position this season in MLB. When Ludwick comes back he can play a bench role and wont cost the Reds a top prospect. Hes only getting paid 700k this season as well an the Mets are going no where. Perfect candidate IMHO.

Signed to a minor-league contract over the offseason, Byrd is 35 and owed just $280,000 for the remainder the season, an attractive price tag. Due to his age, he does not figure to be in the Mets’ long-term plans.

Since he began playing every day on June 1, Byrd is hitting .299 with nine home runs, 27 RBI and a .899 on-base-plus-slugging percentage. His 15 home runs — five shy of a career high — and 51 RBI lead the Mets. Defensively, he has posted six outfield assists.

Marlon Byrd Stats
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...byrdma01.shtml
    Last edited by Jones1; 07-21-2013 at 03:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    What are the chances he's even 80%? I gotta assume he's weak as a cat fart right now. That type of injury rules out all upper body lifting. His pop will be seriously down if he indeed does come back.
    Adrian Gonzalez had the exact same injury and his power still hasn't come back since. I agree, dont think Ludwick is gonna be very good.

Turn Off Ads?