Turn Off Ads?
Page 45 of 83 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    The Reds have a serious need at SS (and you could argue LF). The Reds have 6 starters, 5 of which are 27 or younger.

I get the point of this, but the Reds have a ton of pitching and not many prospects.

If the Reds win the Wild Card game, you're only going to need 4 starters in the playoffs. Most likely Leake and Cingrani are left in the bullpen.

Maximize your assets. Again, I'm not dealing Cingrani or Bailey for Aybar, but if the right deal comes along I wouldn't hate it.
    Reds thought they had a surplus of starters going into the playoffs last year. We all know how that turned out.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Reds thought they had a surplus of starters going into the playoffs last year. We all know how that turned out.
    They DID have a surplus of starters going into the playoffs last year. They just didn't perform well.

No they didn't. They had 4 starters, a guy who was terrible the 2nd half of the season, and nobody after them.

That's not a surplus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

No they didn't. They had 4 starters, a guy who was terrible the 2nd half of the season, and nobody after them.

That's not a surplus.
    I suppose it depends on whether you mean a surplus of guys currently performing well or a surplus of capable major league starting pitchers. Given that their ace went down in the first inning of the first game of the playoffs, the Reds came pretty close to advancing anyway. That's a testament to the quality and depth of their staff IMO, among other things.

That's not a surplus.
    Okay, most fans thought the Reds and enough starting pitching. But last season is exactly why you don't trade away starting pitching if you're in a pennant race.

Reds trade a starter right now, they would be one injury away from starting Cingrani in an important playoff game. Two injuries away from starting God knows who.

7. Likes:

joshua (07-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I generally agree with you, but I also don't think you close yourself off to a deal that can make a team better. Ever.
    I'll agree with this. But it would have to be doozy. Something like Arroyo for Manny Machado. Arroyo for JJ Hardy, definitely no.

I'll agree with this. But it would have to be doozy. Something like Arroyo for Manny Machado. Arroyo for JJ Hardy, definitely no.
    I think we need to take the entire Orioles front office out for drinks and oysters, Don Draper style.

10. Likes:

757690 (07-29-2013)

Okay, most fans thought the Reds and enough starting pitching. But last season is exactly why you don't trade away starting pitching if you're in a pennant race.

Reds trade a starter right now, they would be one injury away from starting Cingrani in an important playoff game. Two injuries away from starting God knows who.
    For the right deal, I'd take my chances.

In terms of starting God knows who, at this point I'm not gonna let the worry that 2 starters will get hurt sway any decisions. If that happens, it wasn't meant to be.

12. Likes:

RedEye (07-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    For the right deal, I'd take my chances.

In terms of starting God knows who, at this point I'm not gonna let the worry that 2 starters will get hurt sway any decisions. If that happens, it wasn't meant to be.
    Odds are pretty good one of them will be hurt, especially considering one already is right now. Not extreme to think another could.

FWIW last night I was dreaming that I was watching a sports report in which they lead off with the Reds having made two significant deals today. I woke up before they got to the details however.

It could be the closest I get to seeing that story this year with so little of need being available.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    FWIW last night I was dreaming that I was watching a sports report in which they lead off with the Reds having made two significant deals today. I woke up before they got to the details however.

It could be the closest I get to seeing that story this year with so little of need being available.
    Completely unrelated to the Reds, but a few years ago the night before I filled out my NCAA tourney bracket I had a dream Scottie Reynolds for Villanova laid in the winning basket on a breakaway to win the national championship. The next day I happily filled out my bracket with the (I believe 8 seed) Villanova winning the whole thing. Villanova went on to lose in the first round. I just could not go against the dream though, and if the dream was correct I would have won the pool easily.

Based on yesterday's start and how he's pitched overall for most of the season I wouldn't have a great deal of angst should he take the hump for a playoff game.

Most Reds fans thought the Reds had 4 good starting pitchers. When Cueto went down, everybody knew the Reds were screwed when Leake had to start. I don't agree with what you're saying.

Last year the Reds had 4 good starters, bad Mike Leake, and then if anybody got hurt you were looking at Todd Redmond. This year the Reds have Leake who is pitching great, Latos, Bailey, Arroyo, Cueto, and Cingrani on top of that.

I get the point you're making, but this year and last year aren't really comparable. The Reds were fortunate everyone stayed healthy last year more than anything.
    Last edited by reds44; 07-29-2013 at 09:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by vottofan4life View Post
    I've been saying this for a while now but why not Trumbo for Cueto or prospects. Can play left field and 3rd base and would add that big cleanup bat
    Unlike others that have chimed in, I'm not fundamentally against trading an SP for a good bat. Trading our ace when we're still in line for the playoffs? No Way.

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    Unlike others that have chimed in, I'm not fundamentally against trading an SP for a good bat. Trading our ace when we're still in line for the playoffs? No Way.
    But why not? It worked out VERY well for the Rays trading away Shields/Davis in the offseason.

Turn Off Ads?