Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 83 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Really? If you are a public figure (or the family member of one), doesn't tweeting something sort of change your claim to privacy about it?
    Yes, when she offers it up, but you can't go around asking family memebrs for medical information about somebody.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    What's the latest on Ludwick?
    If you follow his wife's twitter, there are glimpses of him in a batting cage, and what appears to be hitting.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Yes, when she offers it up, but you can't go around asking family memebrs for medical information about somebody.
    Agreed. But I thought the point was that Fay should have asked her a general question about Ludwick's health once she had already tweeted a photo of him in the batting cage. Seems logical to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Back to Doumit. I think he'd be a fine addition, but i wouldn't use him to Bump Mes or Hanny. Doumit can stand at a alot of spots (whether he can actually filed them is a different question). Adding him now would allow him to replace Corky and share some of the catching load and when Hanigan comes back, I think he'd be a fine guy to stick in LF 2 or 3 times per week. I just have this suspicion that GAB would do for him, on a smaller scale of course, similar things to what it did for Ryan Ludwick. The bench is pretty thin abd his bat would help. I'd guess he'd be one of those 20 PAs per week guys but they don't all come at one position. The thing is, he theoretically plays the positions where the production has been pretty low and IMO he could improve the production at al of them (including a little catching, a little LF, and some late game pop off the bench).
    If the idea is for Doumit to play LF when Hanigan is back, I wouldn't do this. I don't see this year's Doumit as much better than Paul/Heisey/DRob. Doumit has a below .300 OBP this year, XMan's is better. Is he better than Heisey? Maybe but Chris has hit lefties well lately and defends left field pretty superbly.

If the Reds are going to upgrade LF, they need somebody better than Doumit. It's true, Doumit could get hot, he's been better previously, but it's a gamble.

Catching? he could certainly add there, that's the Reds biggest weak spot offensively so far. But if you're saying that when Hanigan comes back Doumit rarely catches, then I see no point.

This fear of adding a catcher who will actually catch seems overblown to me. The Reds catchers are hitting so poorly this year, I just don't see the problem adding a catcher who hits and plays 40-50 percent of the time from here on out. A veteran who has worked with pitchers before.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-18-2013 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    What's the latest on Ludwick?
    ctrent‏@ctrent8m
    Also from today's workout: Ryan Ludwick was supposed to hit on the field for the first time, while status quo on Cueto, Broxton & Marshall
    I have no idea if "supposed to" meant he did or didn't.

Trade Idea with Milwaukee:

Milwaukee is obviously not going anywhere this year and they have questions going into 2014, so why not see if there's a match within the division?

Reds trade:

Devin Mesoraco, Daniel Corcino, and Jeff Gelalich

Brewers trade:

Johnathon Lucroy-Catcher

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    Trade Idea with Milwaukee:

Milwaukee is obviously not going anywhere this year and they have questions going into 2014, so why not see if there's a match within the division?

Reds trade:

Devin Mesoraco, Daniel Corcino, and Jeff Gelalich

Brewers trade:

Johnathon Lucroy-Catcher

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

White Sox Release Lars Anderson, Jeff Gray

The White Sox released infielder Lars Anderson and pitcher Jeff Gray from their Triple-A club, Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune reports via Twitter. Gonzales says the Anderson release is presumably to clear some space for first baseman Travis Ishikawa, who we reported early this morning agreed to sign with the club. Anderson, 25, saw very limited major league action from 2010 to 2012 with the Red Sox. He hit just .194/.302/.251 in 66 games with the Charlotte Knights this year. Gray is a 31-year-old right hander who's thrown more than 140 innings in the big leagues. He logged 52 innings for the Twins last year, posting an ERA of 5.71. He had a 3.27 ERA in 22 Triple-A innings this year before being released.

According to MLB trade rumors today, Perkins and Willingham will most likely NOT be traded, along with Cuddyer of the Rockies. It seems there just isn't going to be anyone of even average talent (if there is such a thing) available to trade for. I would really be surprised to see Jocketty make any deals by the deadline. Our minor league cupboard is pretty bare anyway. If anything does happen, it will be a non impact player for the bench or a middle relief-short inning LHP. On those notes, with as poorly as our offense has looked at times, I surprised we are only 5 games out. If Ludwick can give the offense even a little boost, maybe we can gain back some ground. The time until Ludwick gets back will be critical, as we can't afford to lose much more ground.
    Selig's 2nd wild card has taken a lot of steam out of the July trade season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If the idea is for Doumit to play LF when Hanigan is back, I wouldn't do this. I don't see this year's Doumit as much better than Paul/Heisey/DRob. Doumit has a below .300 OBP this year, XMan's is better. Is he better than Heisey? Maybe but Chris has hit lefties well lately and defends left field pretty superbly.

If the Reds are going to upgrade LF, they need somebody better than Doumit. It's true, Doumit could get hot, he's been better previously, but it's a gamble.

Catching? he could certainly add there, that's the Reds biggest weak spot offensively so far. But if you're saying that when Hanigan comes back Doumit rarely catches, then I see no point.

This fear of adding a catcher who will actually catch seems overblown to me. The Reds catchers are hitting so poorly this year, I just don't see the problem adding a catcher who hits and plays 40-50 percent of the time from here on out. A veteran who has worked with pitchers before.
    I think Paul's luck has run out and would like to see his role reduced. I'd also like to see Choo sit more against LHP with Heisey taking those PAs. Doumit could mix in at several spots and wouldn't create a logjam when Ludwick returns but could caddy for him. Mesoraco has been banged up himself and may need his own DL stint when Hanigan comes back and there is no guarantee that they won't be fighting these problems the rest of the year and Doumit may be part of the tandem until Sept or even the rest of the year. IMO adding a 3rd guy to the mix who won't be wasted when the others are healthy makes a lot of sense. There is no shortage of guys who he could provide an upgrade to and there isn't a guarantee that Ludwick won't have a setback just like Marshall, Cueto and Heisey have already had this year. Doumit would provide insurance at a lot of spots and won't turn into a wasted acquisition if they all come back. As long as he doesn't cost much talent, he's an upgrade to several guys on the roster.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Concerning Doumit. He's terrible now.

His bat speed is way down if you watch him theses days. He's one of the worst defensive catchers I've ever seen, but he could pop a few homers, which made him kinda useful as a utility guy who could fill in at catcher. But he's 32 and likely to be getting worse with the bat with each new sundown.

On paper he looks like a decent pickup, but he's not an upgrade for the Reds at this point in career, imo.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Per MLBTR Garza to Rangers is getting close

The Cubs and Rangers are on the verge of completing a trade that would send Matt Garza to Texas in exchange for "a strong package of prospects,".......
    Mike Olt and CJ Edwards are two prospects named.

Oh geesh.

Olt and Rizzo in the same lineup. That has the potential to be quite scary in a couple of years.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jo...ke-ramirez-too

The surprising Pirates are said to be among the teams seeking to acquire White Sox outfielder Alex Rios, and people familiar with Pittsburgh's thinking suggest they wouldn't be surprised if the Pirates expand the talks to include Sox shortstop Alexei Ramirez, as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Oh geesh.

Olt and Rizzo in the same lineup. That has the potential to be quite scary in a couple of years.
    Then layer in guys like Kris Bryant, Javier Baez, Jorge Soler and Albert Almora.

I am very concerned about how bright the Cubs future is beginning to look, especially if they can get some good arms to go along with Smardzjia and Wood.

I'm starting to worry that the 2013 Cubs organization is starting to look like the 2007/2008 Reds.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?