Turn Off Ads?
Page 37 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    From Jayson Starks Twitter -
    Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst 21m
    Your scout lineup for Jake Peavy's start today: Red Sox, Cardinals, Dodgers, Braves, O's, Reds & Rangers have 2. #youmaynowjumptoconclusions

Obviously the Reds scout could be there for Rios or another player besides Peavy.
    Reds could be there to scout him in case Cards, Dodgers, Braves, Pirates pick him up.

2. Likes:

LoganBuck (07-25-2013),Tom Servo (07-25-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Apparently the Cards offered one of their minor league arms for Ramirez and were turned down.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Apparently the Cards offered one of their minor league arms for Ramirez and were turned down.
    Carlos Martinez, I believe his name is. I have the impression he is actually a darn good minor league arm, too. Not sure what the Sox were expecting, but I'm surprised they turned it down. Ramirez is 32 and not getting any better.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...i-ramirez.html

White Sox Notes: Ramirez, Peavy, Crain
    By Mark Polishuk [July 24, 2013 at 8:04am CST]
    8:04am: Jon Heyman of CBS Sports tweets that the White Sox did not turn down Martinez for Ramirez, though he wouldn't be surprised if the Cardinals are indeed interested in Chicago's shortstop.

12:29am: The White Sox have as many trade chips as any deadline seller in the majors and they're putting a high price tag on their key players. According to Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune, the Sox recently turned down a trade offer from the Cardinals that would have sent shortstop Alexei Ramirez to St. Louis in exchange for right-hander Carlos Martinez, one of the many elite prospects in the Cards' minor league system. Gonzales said the deal was "involving" those two players, so it was likely not a one-for-one swap.
    If the CWS actually turned down Martinez for Ramirez, I would be shocked. Cards just sent down Martinez and brought back alphabet man
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb
    Carlos Martinez's most recent stint in the Majors didn't last long, as the Cardinals optioned their top-rated pitching prospect back to Triple-A Memphis on Thursday.

Left-hander Marc Rzepczynski was recalled to take his place.

Martinez, the Cardinals' Minor League Pitcher of the Month in June, pitched just 3 1/3 innings after being added to the big league roster on June 11. He struck out two and allowed three runs. He had posted a 1.98 ERA in eight starts with Memphis prior to his call-up.

Rzepczynski will give the Cardinals bullpen three southpaws. The 27-year-old began the season in the Majors and appeared in nine games, allowing seven runs over eight innings, before his demotion on April 29. He posted a 3.07 ERA in 32 relief appearances, spanning 44 innings, with Memphis.
    Last edited by klw; 07-25-2013 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Reds could be there to scout him in case Cards, Dodgers, Braves, Pirates pick him up.
    Do teams really do hypothetical scouting like this? Seems like you'd have to have a surplus of scouting resources in order to send people to games of pitchers you might face in the next month.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Do teams really do hypothetical scouting like this? Seems like you'd have to have a surplus of scouting resources in order to send people to games of pitchers you might face in the next month.
    I would be shocked if people actually do that.

It could be the Reds are there to scout Ramirez or Rios, but the fact they're going to be there specifically for Peavy's start, it certainly makes you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Peavy and Ramirez for Cingrani, Cozart, and a mid level prospect.

Who says no?

EDIT: It might (probably) take more? And Peavy and Ramirez are due a lot of money.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Peavy and Ramirez for Cingrani, Cozart, and a mid level prospect.

Who says no?

EDIT: It might (probably) take more? And Peavy and Ramirez are due a lot of money.
    Me, Cincy, among others.

Cingrani>Peavy, and Cozart is a good as Ramirez.

And when you factor on salaries, it's a historically horrible deal for the Reds.

The Sox would jump out of their pants for that deal.

11. Likes:

HokieRed (07-25-2013),Hubba (07-25-2013)

Cingrani isn't as good as Peavy and Cozart isn't as good as Ramirez.

How much Peavy > Cingrani and Ramirez > Cozart is debatable, but neither are as good.

I'm not sure how much sense Peavy makes, but having the potential to run Cueto, Latos, Peavy, and Bailey at somebody in the playoffs is a fun thought.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Cingrani isn't as good as Peavy and Cozart isn't as good as Ramirez.

How much Peavy > Cingrani and Ramirez > Cozart is debatable, but neither are as good.

I'm not sure how much sense Peavy makes, but having the potential to run Cueto, Latos, Peavy, and Bailey at somebody in the playoffs is a fun thought.
    Both Peavy and Ramirez would be improvements (more Ramirez), but marginally when you consider the payroll and club control considerations. Enough that I don't like that deal.

Ramirez is OPSing .651 with more a .280 batting average and a .306 OBP. Cozart is OPSing .649 but only batting .243 with a .270 OBP. Still, his slugging has produced 11 more runs and 12 more RBI than Ramirez has this season. Again, I do believe Ramirez is the better hitter, but I'm not sure that sort of production is enough of an improvement to be worth the $10 M he's owed the next two years.

Peavy is, at this point, around a 4.0 pitcher both in terms of his ERA and FIP numbers. Yes, I like Cingrani's ability to match or exceed that production. And I like that he can do it for less than Peavy's $15 M.

Just my two cents. Who knows what Walt and co are thinking.

14. Likes:

Hubba (07-25-2013),Redeyecat (07-25-2013)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Ramirez hasn't hit better than Cozart the last year and a half, and he's not getting any better with age.

Peavy is injury prone, extremely expensive and not particularly good anymore. I'd rank him behind Cincy's top 6 starters.

Now I agree that everyone might have their own opinion on how good these players are. But their salaries make this trade beyond foolish for the Reds. The extra $24M in salary has to come from somewhere. We'd be better keeping Cingrani and Cozart and resigning Choo, among others.

16. Likes:

Crumbley (07-26-2013),Edd Roush (07-25-2013),Hubba (07-25-2013),mth123 (07-25-2013),OnBaseMachine (07-26-2013),Redeyecat (07-25-2013),Revering4Blue (07-25-2013),Tom Servo (07-25-2013)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Me, Cincy, among others.

Cingrani>Peavy, and Cozart is a good as Ramirez.

And when you factor on salaries, it's a historically horrible deal for the Reds.

The Sox would jump out of their pants for that deal.
    Agreed, PP.

And I would absolutely hate to see Cingrani moved.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

If we're going to add the salary, I'd rather add Rios.

Peavy is good but superfluous at this point and Ramirez, while a slight upgrade IMO for this year and next, comes at too high of a cost.
    Go BLUE!!!

19. Likes:

Hubba (07-25-2013)

I liked Peavy when he played for the Pads. He was a fiece competitor who gave it everything he had. However, he strikes me as a max effort pitcher whose best days are now behind him. With Arroyo in his last contract year, Bailey in his next to last, Latos the year after that, and Cueto's durability in some question, the last thing the Reds need to do is trade a good young pitcher for past performance, a high price tag and a short term contract they are not likely to want to extend.

IMO, the biggest difference maker for the Reds would be a bullpen arm. If Peavy would accept a move to the pen and his cost were not too high, I would consider that deal. In view of the salary being taken on, I certainly would not give up significant major league players or prospects. The possibility of such a trade seems unlikely to me.

If anything does happen it will be interesting to see how Walt derives an upgrade to this team.

22. Likes:

RadfordVA (07-26-2013)

Turn Off Ads?