Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 83 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Official Trade Deadline Thread

Use this thread to post any links to articles about potential trades/completed trades as well as to discuss the articles.

One rule: no made-up trade proposals by redszoners or fans. no articles from yahoo contributor network. Please link articles that are from decent sources.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...ades-soon.html

The preceding is an article about how the Giants are not looking to fire-sell.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Use this thread to post any links to articles about potential trades/completed trades as well as to discuss the articles.

One rule: no made-up trade proposals by redszoners or fans. no articles from yahoo contributor network. Please link articles that are from decent sources.

A little early for the trade deadline, no? We're still more than a month out..

If you wanted just "trade rumors" that probably makes more sense. I guess it's just semantics.
    Go BLUE!!!

Good afternoon, Traderumor speaking, how may I assist you today?

I would like one power right handed reliever, a power hitter, and a replacement for CESAR Izturis, please.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    A little early for the trade deadline, no? We're still more than a month out..

If you wanted just "trade rumors" that probably makes more sense. I guess it's just semantics.
    I do not think it is too early.

July 7, 2008: Milwaukee Brewers acquire C.C. Sabathia from the Cleveland Indians in exchange for Matt LaPorta, Michael Brantley, Rob Bryson, and Zach Jackson

July 8, 2008: Oakland Athletics trade Rich Harden with Chad Gaudin to the Chicago Cubs for Josh Donaldson, Sean Gallagher, Matt Murton, and Eric Patterson

June 21, 1989: Oakland Athletics acquire Rickey Henderson from the New York Yankees in exchange for Greg Cadaret, Eric Plunk, and Luis Polonia

July 5, 1987: San Francisco Giants trade Chris Brown, Keith Comstock, Mark Grant and Mark Davis to the San Diego Padres for Dave Dravecky, Kevin Mitchell and Craig Lefferts

I am sure there are a bunch more, but I consider all of July "trade deadline month" and there rumors are already starting to increase.

Good luck enforcing that.

7. Likes:

bigredmechanism (07-17-2013)

A lot can change between now and then but I imagine the asking prices will be high with very little supply and too much demand. As most teams are going to be somewhat in wild card hunt looking to add and few teams giving up on season looking to sell. Only teams I think that right now that would sell are White Sox, Astros, and Mariners in AL. Marlins, Mets, Cubs and probably Brewers.

What makes this official?

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    A lot can change between now and then but I imagine the asking prices will be high with very little supply and too much demand. As most teams are going to be somewhat in wild card hunt looking to add and few teams giving up on season looking to sell. Only teams I think that right now that would sell are White Sox, Astros, and Mariners in AL. Marlins, Mets, Cubs and probably Brewers.
    Yep. If I were the White Sox and selling a guy like Jesse Crain, I would make him available today to the highest bidder and they see what kind of bidding war I can drum up. Plenty of teams are ready to buy and very limited choices.

The longer they wait, the more teams fall out of it and the more supply increases.

Another thing that will hurt the market is that some of the teams that could be sellers are the biggest money teams. I doubt we see someone like the Angels selling at the deadline. Probably not the Phillies and certainly not the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    What makes this official?
    Officially, I cannot tell you what makes it official.

Officially,

RedTeamGo!

Officially, I cannot tell you what makes it official.

Officially,

RedTeamGo!
    Did you fill out the paperwork?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

One idea for the deadline is for the Reds to become sellers. Wonder what they could get at the deadline for Choo and Arroyo? Rentals for the top contenders.

Those are the two obvious guys, I guess Bailey is a candidate too. Lecure might fetch you something decent. Can't think of anyone else who would bring much and the Reds are likely to want to trade off.

Possibly Sean Marshall if he is healthy, but probably won't bring back enough to warrant a trade. Injury must hurt his value.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    One idea for the deadline is for the Reds to become sellers. Wonder what they could get at the deadline for Choo and Arroyo? Rentals for the top contenders.

Those are the two obvious guys, I guess Bailey is a candidate too. Lecure might fetch you something decent. Can't think of anyone else who would bring much and the Reds are likely to want to trade off.

Possibly Sean Marshall if he is healthy, but probably won't bring back enough to warrant a trade. Injury must hurt his value.
    Why would the team with the fifth best record in all of baseball, six games up in the wildcard become sellers? All the regular season matters is to make it into the playoffs. Once in the playoffs anything can happen.

15. Likes:

marcshoe (07-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Did you fill out the paperwork?
    Yes, it's filed in the cabinet marked "official"

17. Likes:

bigredmechanism (07-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Why would the team with the fifth best record in all of baseball, six games up in the wildcard become sellers? All the regular season matters is to make it into the playoffs. Once in the playoffs anything can happen.
    Let's try and stick to what was said. I didn't advocate being sellers I said it was an idea.

Further, there have been GMs, I recall the Chisox one year, who have "sold" despite having a pretty good record. They did so because they didn't believe the team was really a top contender and wanted to get there. May also have been financial reasons.

If the Reds are seriously in the hunt to win the division, then obviously I wouldn't do it But if they are 10 games out vying for the last wild card spot, you have to think about trading a veteran whose contract is nearly up for good prospects.

The Reds have a tough schedule, we'll see where they are. It's an unlikely scenario, but not impossible to imagine.

And if somebody really wants Arroyo for the stretch drive, with Cingrani in the wings for the Reds, is it out of the question? If they offer a very good prospect?
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-26-2013 at 05:16 PM.

19. Likes:

wheels (06-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

I agree. A decent sized fire sale is in order.

Wonder what Chapman would bring in trade?

Time to pull the plug on '13 and the current window. Restock the farm a bit, hopefully some of the youngsters will impress, because this roster is pretty much toast.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Turn Off Ads?