Turn Off Ads?
Page 35 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Is he not owed another 14 next season?
    That's net 9 after the $5M. Or if the Reds really can't add a dollar of payroll to this year's team, the money covers Rios and Crain for this year and you can trade Rios in the offseason (where he might have more value anyway).

But I'd submit, if the Reds really can't add a dollar of payroll to this team at the deadline, they're really never going to win anything.

Look at the deadline deals the Cardinals have made over the years and tell me that hasn't been critical in every one of their postseason runs:

1997: Mark McGwire (1.111 OPS over 5 years including 2 division crowns)
    2000: Will Clark (1.053 OPS down the stretch leading to division crown)
    2001: Woody Williams (7-1, 2.28 ERA down the stretch leading to division crown)
    2002: Scott Rolen (6 Time Gold Glover and critical to 2006 Championship)
    2004: Larry Walker (.953 OPS down the stretch leading to Pennant and Division crown)
    2006: Jeff Weaver (Critical in their World Series against the Tigers)
    2009: Matt Holliday (3 time AS and critical to 2011 Championship)
    2011: Rafael Furcal (Starting SS helped lead them to 2011 Championship)

See a pattern there?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    See a pattern there?
    Yes, the majority of them were far better than Alex Rios is.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Still, Rios isn't a slouch. He hits well on both sides of the plate and plays good defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Nick Travieso, Neftali Soto, Donald Lutz and Chris Heisey for Alex Rios and Jesse Crain and $5M cash.
    Throw in Corcino or Rogers if you have to.

Let's go!
    I just don't get the fascination with Rios. Mediocre and overpaid. Better than Soriano ... but that's it.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I don't see the Reds trading for an outfielder.

With that being said, Rios can play CF and the Reds are going to need a CFer. He could play LF this year while Ludwick is coming back, and he could play CF next year.

That's why he is interesting to me. Really, I don't think an upper .775-.800 OPS as a CFer is "mediocre" nor do I think 14 million is overpaying for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

With that being said, Rios can play CF and the Reds are going to need a CFer. He could play LF this year while Ludwick is coming back, and he could play CF next year.

That's why he is interesting to me.
    What kind of package would it take though?

Quote Originally Posted by nate1213 View Post
    What kind of package would it take though?
    No idea. That's the question for every player.

A guy I think the Reds may end up that nobody is really talking about is Jimmy Rollins. If the Reds add anything at the deadline, SS should be it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I just don't get the fascination with Rios. Mediocre and overpaid. Better than Soriano ... but that's it.
    A 'mediocre' bat in today's offensive climate is like a #2 starter was in 2004, impossible to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    A 'mediocre' bat in today's offensive climate is like a #2 starter was in 2004, impossible to come by.
    Just looked at his career again. He had two really bad years that seem to have been BABIP unlucky. Those were biasing my memory unjustly.

I still worry about his cost and his age, but I think I'd be on board with a Rios trade.

Not that it's going to happen.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I have a feeling Walt is really busy behind the scenes. Usually when members of the media start to say stuff like "Walt said there is not much on the market" it means he is making a lot of calls and is getting frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

That's why he is interesting to me. Really, I don't think an upper .775-.800 OPS as a CFer is "mediocre" nor do I think 14 million is overpaying for.
    If the Reds do pursue an outfielder, the key isn't Ludwick's injury and LF. The key is Choo's free agency and CF.

Ludwick may or not return to form, but the Reds signed him through next year. So when he is ready, he's going to play LF most of the time. It wouldn't make sense to trade valuable prospects for LF right now.

In CF, Choo is OBPing his way out of Cincy. He's hitting great, he'll command a huge deal. Hamilton may not be ready next year.

So if the Reds do go for an outfielder, he needs to be able to play CF IMO.

And I still think another catcher who can hit is a good target.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-24-2013 at 01:43 PM.

13. Likes:

RadfordVA (07-24-2013)

Sean Marshall moved to the 60 day DL. Didn't see this anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Sean Marshall moved to the 60 day DL. Didn't see this anywhere.
    Eligible to come off 60 day DL immediately.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Eligible to come off 60 day DL immediately.
    Ok thanks. Just saw the stem of the announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If the Reds do pursue an outfielder, the key isn't Ludwick's injury and LF. The key is Choo's free agency and CF.

Ludwick may or not return to form, but the Reds signed him through next year. So when he is ready, he's going to play LF most of the time. It wouldn't make sense to trade valuable prospects for LF right now.

In CF, Choo is OBPing his way out of Cincy. He's hitting great, he'll command a huge deal. Hamilton may not be ready next year.

So if the Reds do go for an outfielder, he needs to be able to play CF IMO.

And I still think another catcher who can hit is a good target.
    Hence Rios.

And I don't think there's anything wrong with Mesoraco and his .731 OPS as a 25 year old. If he can get that number up near .800, he'll be a great backstop to have for years to come.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?