Turn Off Ads?
Page 39 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    You sir, should be flogged.
    Is that Raisor on the handheld Keyboard ?

2. Likes:

Raisor (07-26-2013),RedEye (07-26-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Cozart does not play "great" defense. He plays good defense, but it's not great.
    Ok.. but he plays "above average" defense, IMO.
    When I said great, I didn't mean that he was the best in the game.. I just meant that his defense was an asset, and that needs to be factored in when thinking about possible replacements.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

5. Likes:

Hubba (07-26-2013),RedlegJake (07-26-2013)

I don't get the Cingrani/Peavy trade at all. Cingrani is a rookie and having a better year. 2012 was first year Peavy had 25 starts since 2008. Ramirez is a slight step up from Cozart but makes a ton more.

Starlin Castro is a great fit, but I don't see Cubs dealing him within the division. Set up man in a walk year is one thing, potential star SS another.

7. Likes:

coachpipe (07-26-2013)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...r-hitters.html

Even after acquiring Matt Garza earlier this week, reports have indicated that the Rangers are looking for offensive upgrades. They've been linked to Alex Rios, Hunter Pence and Kendrys Morales already, and Jon Heyman of CBS Sports now reports that the team has had internal discussions about re-acquiring Michael Young, given the news that Lance Berkman could miss the remainder of the season or even retire.

Heyman cautions that a Young trade isn't a likely outcome, and the Rangers are still more focused on adding outfield bats as they await the fate of Biogenesis-connected outfielder Nelson Cruz. The Yankees, Red Sox and Reds are all said to be considering Young as well.

I don't get Michael Young. He isn't as good of a hitter or defender as Frazier.

Unless they're bringing him in to play SS (which I can't imagine), it doesn't make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

10. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-26-2013)

Young could provide something something off the bench

No way do the Reds need that salary

I don't get Michael Young. He isn't as good of a hitter or defender as Frazier.

Unless they're bringing him in to play SS (which I can't imagine), it doesn't make sense.
    I'm not sure I see the obvious fit either, unless the idea is to rotate Frazier into the left-field conversation in some capacity.

Young would definitely be an improvement off the bench over Hanahan, but how much is that worth in a trade? Especially factoring in the money... don't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin88 View Post
    Young would definitely be an improvement off the bench over Hanahan
    Except that Handsome Jack is terrific with the glove, so he's perfect for late inning substitutions. Young can't really play the field and he's really expensive. Pass.

All Young really gives you is a nice batting average that has dropped in recent years from the .300 level to the high .270's. He can't play any position well.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

15. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Except that Handsome Jack is terrific with the glove, so he's perfect for late inning substitutions. Young can't really play the field and he's really expensive. Pass.
    Frazier is playing near GG caliber 3rd base, you don't need Hannahan's glove.

And to be fair to Young's salary, Texas is paying $10 million of it this year. He's not as expensive as people think.

Still don't think I would give up much of anything for a bench player.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Frazier is playing near GG caliber 3rd base, you don't need Hannahan's glove.
    I wasn't thinking of just 3B. Jack can play all over the IF, IMO, and pretty well at that. Plus he hits (a bit) more than Izturis.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I wasn't thinking of just 3B. Jack can play all over the IF, IMO, and pretty well at that. Plus he hits (a bit) more than Izturis.
    He has played 24 career innings at SS and 11 at second base.

Not to mention the Reds have solid defenders all around the infield.

He has played 24 career innings at SS and 11 at second base.

Not to mention the Reds have solid defenders all around the infield.
    Agreed. So wait a minute... what are we debating? Are you saying the Reds should jettison Hannahan? All I'm arguing is that he's a decent guy to have on the bench and that Young wouldn't be.

Young is a much better fit on the bench for this team than Hannahan is. Hannahan is kind of useless on the Reds, to be honest.

Young is a much better fit on the bench for this team than Hannahan is. Hannahan is kind of useless on the Reds, to be honest.
    Except for isn't it generally useful to have a versatile IF replacement in case one of the guys gets hurt? Young could be a good PH off the bench, but if he has to come in and play both ways, you're in trouble.
    Last edited by RedEye; 07-26-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Turn Off Ads?