Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 83 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Think out of the box on this for a minute.

I guess I don't believe that all playoff teams have an equal chance. We'd have to see how the Reds are doing -- if they look very strong then you pass, obviously.

Maybe Ludwick is nearly back by then, maybe the pen is healthy and Cingrani ready to start.

It's an unlikely scenario but I think any good GM would have to think about it. I'm not talking about trading Votto, or Bruce, or Phillips, or Latos, or Chapman, or Cueto, or Leake.

I use to think this and then I watched the last few World Series and realized just how wrong I was. The Giants had no business winning the World Series last year and the Cardinals won something like 83 games a few years ago and won. Anything can happen once you get past the grind that is the 162 game season. Anything.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-27-2013),Fullboat (07-03-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    I use to think this and then I watched the last few World Series and realized just how wrong I was. The Giants had no business winning the World Series last year and the Cardinals won something like 83 games a few years ago and won. Anything can happen once you get past the grind that is the 162 game season. Anything.
    Tom Verducci all but predicted the Giants championship before the playoffs. He focused on their style of contact hitting and thought they were among the teams that could handle top pitching staffs with power pitchers.

I would agree that in-season record is not the deciding factor. But a GM knows his team. Some are much more likely to succeed against top competition.

Most GMs follow your lead and just want to get to the playoffs. So your view obviously prevails.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...o-stanton.html

Marlins Unlikely To Trade Giancarlo Stanton
    By Tim Dierkes [June 27, 2013 at 10:03am CST]

Looks like we can thankfully stop talking about Stanton to the Reds

There was a tweet earlier today that quoted Ol Leatherpants saying he has never seen such an active trade market 5 weeks in advance of the actual deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Would you still pick Choo over Bruce? I'm very confused about where you are coming from here.
    No. I voted Choo and still think he would win a poll over Bruce among baseball fans generally.

But at this point, having seen Choo for a longer period, I'd take Bruce based on much greater physical ability and youth.

Where I'm coming from is that increasingly I don't see the Reds shelling out for Choo, I think Arroyo is gone, the team is struggling against good competition even with these guys, and I can see a package coming back that might be appetizing to the Reds.

Which they should consider, that's all, if anyone makes an offer.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-27-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    I think this has happened due to the expanded format. In the days of LCS/World Series, it was not such a crap shoot. With the WC, there is an increased chance that a hot team enters the playoffs.

However, keep in mind that the 83 win Cards had a poorly timed late season slump that skewed their record. They were 80-69 and finished 3-9, so that can be a bit misleading. They were more like an 87-89 win team that slumped late and drug their final record down. Fortunately for them, there was no one else in their division having a good year.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...o-stanton.html

Marlins Unlikely To Trade Giancarlo Stanton
    By Tim Dierkes [June 27, 2013 at 10:03am CST]

Looks like we can thankfully stop talking about Stanton to the Reds
    Eh, just trying to drive up the price. He's available for the right price. But someone's gonna give a haul of prospects and probably a few major leaguers to get him.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Anyone considering being a seller at this time is officially out of my will

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Anyone considering being a seller at this time is officially out of my will
    Except I don't consider a deal like that proposed to Detroit to actually be selling. If a major player can be dealt and the talent is both for here and now as well as the future. Sure. But trading guys for down-the-line prospects is simply asinine with the Reds record and the point in the season. I don't care who Walt trades if he honestly feels the return makes us better now.

By the way, just because you may not be out of the will doesn't mean you're in it.

What's been going on here the last couple of days with some of these threads. I will fully admit to writing some dumb things in the heat of the moment in game threads, but come on. People really want to sell when you are 5 games up for the second wild card? That is just absurd.

Even if the Reds struggle all year against good teams it doesn't mean they can't get hot at the right time and go far in the playoffs. Do you really think the Cardinals were the best team in 2011? Or that the Giants were the best team last year? No way.

Is there a chance this team falls apart like in 2011? Sure. But even if that happens you still have a good core of players, and maybe you just need to tweak a few things. If they blew up the team after 2011 you wouldn't have had the team that won 97 games last year.

You just can't go around blowing up your team after a bad streak.

14. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-28-2013),RedEye (06-27-2013),REDREAD (06-28-2013)

Alex Rios!

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...e-and-konerko/

I think he could be a great addition for fairly cheap and possible to acquire.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Tom Verducci all but predicted the Giants championship before the playoffs.
    I all but passed a French class in college

Rios and Crane ... That would be worth kicking the tires.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...amardzija.html

Diamondbacks Interested In Gallardo, Samardzija
    By Steve Adams [June 27, 2013 at 11:01pm CST]

Turn Off Ads?