Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 83 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Take a look at Carlos Quentin. The Padres have lost 10 straight and have fallen to the basement with not much chance realistically to get anywhere this year. Quentin is hitting in the mid .270's, with an ops of .854, slugging at .454, and an obp of .370. He has K'd 45 times in 217 AB, which is a much better k ratio than many of our current players. Taking advantage of GABP could improve his numbers considerably over Petco Park. Defensively not great, but our hitting is in dire need more than our defense.
    Last edited by 50YrRedsFan; 07-09-2013 at 05:42 PM.

2. Likes:

Kc61 (07-12-2013),toledodan (07-09-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Wonder if the reds would have any interest in Brian McCann, with hanny and mes both battling injuries and struggling may e its a possibility

Quote Originally Posted by cincyredway View Post
    Wonder if the reds would have any interest in Brian McCann, with hanny and mes both battling injuries and struggling may e its a possibility
    Why would the Braves trade McCann?

I am not sure they would trade McCann, but I seem an article and it said possible suitors for McCann, and it got me thinking if he were available would the reds b interested, but he may not b a available. They do have gattis to catch, but I think he may b on the DL. I am not sure on McCann contract status either maybe he will b a free agent next year and they want to trade him now .

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Giants Designate Cole Gillespie For Assignment

By Zach Links [July 9 at 6:10pm CST]

The Giants have designated outfielder Cole Gillespie for assigment, according to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle (via Twitter). The move will make room for the promotion of second baseman Kensuke Tanaka.

It's the second move made today by the Giants, who agreed to sign Jeff Francoeur early this morning. Gillespie, 29, had a cup of coffee with the major league club this month. In 269 plate appearances for the club's Triple-A affiliate this season, Gillespie slashed .277/.361/.455 with nine homers.

How would Alex Rios look in the #2 spot in this lineup? I think he would solve a lot of the problems, but he does have yo-yo type seasons, much like the rest of this Reds team (sans Voto).

Rios would look better in the #4 spot so Phillips could move back to the 2 hole.

Rios is a target I'd be looking at for sure. He has expeirence playing CF too, so if Ludwick came back and showed to be a capable bat you could play Ludwick in LF and Rios in CF against lefties.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

11. Likes:

Benihana (07-10-2013)

If Rios really can play CF then it gives the Reds another year to develop Hamilton. Rios does make 12.5 next year, though, and I don't see that as a good fit unless some money comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    If Rios really can play CF then it gives the Reds another year to develop Hamilton. Rios does make 12.5 next year, though, and I don't see that as a good fit unless some money comes back.
    401 career starts in CF. 277 of them as recently as 2010 and 2011. Career 0.0 UZR and -0.1 UZR/150 in CF.

He can play it. Not a GG out there, but not awful either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Orioles Designate Jair Jurrjens For Assignment

By Steve Adams [July 12 at 2:37pm CST]

The Orioles announced on Twitter that they have designated right-hander Jair Jurrjens for assignment in order to clear a 40-man roster spot for Jairo Asencio, who has been called up from Triple-A Norfolk.

The 27-year-old Jurrjens appeared in two games (one start) for the Orioles after agreeing to a minor league contract with Baltimore this offseason, allowing four runs in 7 1/3 innings of work. He pitched well out of the gates for Norfolk but has posted an unsightly 5.32 ERA over his past eight starts for the Tides. In 94 2/3 minor league innings this season he has an impressive 2.3 BB/9 rate but just a 4.9 K/9 rate.

Assuming Stanton and Bautista are unavailable/unrealistic, I'd really like to see Rios at the deadline. Another Jocketty-esque option would be Alfonso Soriano, who crushes lefties and could be a great platoon option for Paul this year, and even next year if Ludwick starts the year as CF until Hamilton is ready.

I'd offer Travieso straight up for Rios.

I'd offer one of Corcino/Rogers, one of Y-Rod/Lutz/Arias, and one of Heisey/McDonald for Soriano and James Russell, assuming the Cubs would pay 2/3 of Soriano's $18M salary in 2014.

I'd also add Cozart to the Cubs deal if they wanted to unload Starlin Castro on us, in addition to all the other players involved.
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-12-2013 at 06:47 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Alex Rios would give this offense a boost, move Choo to a more comfortable position in LF therefore upgrading our defense in both positions. Rios/Choo/Bruce with Ludwick/Heisey on the bench looks quite nice on paper. Trade a prospect not named Cingrani and get it done.

I got to thinking if jocketty would have never made any trades, our lineup could have looked like this.
    1. Gregorious ss
    2. Phillips 2b
    3. Votto 1b
    4. Encarnacion 3b
    5. Bruce rf
    6. Grandal c
    7. Frazier LF
    8. Stubbs cf
    9. Cueto p

Arroyo
    Bailey
    Leake
    Wood

Bullpen.
    Chapman
    Lecure
    Ondrusek
    Simon
    Boxberger/partch/Joseph
    Cingrani
    Parra

Bench.
    Cozart
    Mes/hanigan
    Heisey
    Paul
    Alonso/Robinson

I know a lot of things would had to happen for this to work out, but I thought it was fun to think about

Quote Originally Posted by cincyredway View Post
    I got to thinking if jocketty would have never made any trades, our lineup could have looked like this.
    1. Gregorious ss
    2. Phillips 2b
    3. Votto 1b
    4. Encarnacion 3b
    5. Bruce rf
    6. Grandal c
    7. Frazier LF
    8. Stubbs cf
    9. Cueto p

Arroyo
    Bailey
    Leake
    Wood

Bullpen.
    Chapman
    Lecure
    Ondrusek
    Simon
    Boxberger/partch/Joseph
    Cingrani
    Parra

Bench.
    Cozart
    Mes/hanigan
    Heisey
    Paul
    Alonso/Robinson

I know a lot of things would had to happen for this to work out, but I thought it was fun to think about

That *is* interesting to think about. But you would also probably not have the two NL Central crowns in the last three years (without Rolen in 2010 and Latos in 2012)...
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?