Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 83 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread

He's expensive, old, and bad. His numbers are actually worse than Cozart's and he can't play defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Is there any reason to believe a 35 year old with a career .419 SLG% is going to sustain his .500 SLG%.

Dude makes a ton of outs and there's no real reason to believe his power is going to continue.
    Any reason to believe a guy with a minor league career OPS in the .600s is a better option?

Byrd's career obp is .334 and has a .784 OPS vs LHP. Got a better option who the Reds could:

1.) afford
    2.) acquire for secondary minor leaguers that the Reds would have to deal
    3.) can actually play the OF

I'm sure there are other similar players, but that's what we're looking at. I guess I'd do the same kind of deal for Denorfia if the Padres decide to sell.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Where would he play?
    Doc Rogers suggested left field.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Could be interesting. I was afraid some one was going to suggest SS and my head was about to explode.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Well he's older and has no pop and is owed around 10 million bucks for two more years, can't see nor do I want to see that
    Wow. Great Agent.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Doc Rogers is on drugs.

5 games career for Keppinger in the OF, 30 less than he has appeared at 1st base.

That just sounds ridiculous when you consider the amount of cash he's owed and the line he has this year .246/.274/.295

8. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-14-2013), joshua (07-19-2013), Kiko (07-15-2013), mth123 (07-14-2013), Nasty_Boy (07-14-2013), Raisor (07-15-2013), reds44 (07-14-2013), Tom Servo (07-14-2013), TRF (07-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Fair point overall, I'm not sure how old you are, but what about David Wells in '95? Kevin Mitchell in '96? And while not the same concept, but I'd say the Smiley for Danny Graves and Damian Jackson deal in '98 shaped the team for years to come. (Guzman was actually in '99). All four of those were deadline deals.

Also, I think had the Reds acquired Cliff Lee at the 2010 deadline as was being discussed, things could have turned out differently.

Sure, there was an 11 year gap in there, but the Reds were never really in a position to contend during those years.
    You have a way better memory than me. I was definitely old enough to know all of those acquisitions well -- but just forgot.

I think my overall point still stands though: deadline deals are rarely that influential on the outcome of a season -- or at least not nearly as important as the coverage of them would make us think.
    "I’ll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. That’s just how I do things.” -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

10. Likes:

Falls City Beer (07-14-2013), Tom Servo (07-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Seems to me that baseball is a sport that very rarely sees a team change overnight with the addition of one player. There is always a lot of fanfare about the trade deadline, who is going where and whatnot, and then even though some of the big acquisitions work out really well, they usually aren't the difference makers they are supposed to be. The only Reds deadline deal I can think of in my lifetime that really altered the complexion of a team was the Guzman deal in 1995 (I think it was that year anyway).

I am not saying I want the Reds to stand pat. I just think we need to be realistic about how much a new player will change what they've got.
    Guzman was 1999, IIRC. Wells and Portugal (and Lewis) were 1995.
    Sabermetrics can be boiled down to this simple truism: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

12. Likes:

RedEye (07-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Doc Rogers is on drugs.

5 games career for Keppinger in the OF, 30 less than he has appeared at 1st base.

That just sounds ridiculous when you consider the amount of cash he's owed and the line he has this year .246/.274/.295
    I can't like this enough! Doc should honestly be fired and replaced by a rock for throwing stuff out like that. You could literally go to any bar, street corner, convent, or psych ward and get a better suggestion. That literally dumbs down the fan base and drives decent fans away.
    I know a lot of people are talking about his on-base percentage (.308 in 2008), but I like to think more in terms of him his in-scoring position percentage. - Our Beloved Manager

14. Likes:

joshua (07-19-2013)

By the way when Guzman started for the Reds for the first time he did so in shoes a size or two smaller than his normal shoes that had not arrived to the Reds club house in time. He borrowed someone's shoes for the start.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

I would think these four from the Cubs (they've packed it in) would get instant consideration:

Cody Ransom, 3B, Age 34, OPS-.886
    Dinoner Navarro, C, Age 29, OPS-.874
    Ryan Sweeney, CF, Age 28, OPS-.869
    Nate Shierholz, RF, Age 29, OPS-.825

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Here are a list of players I want less than Keppinger:

18. Likes:

BungleBengals (07-15-2013), mattfeet (07-15-2013), reds44 (07-15-2013), remdog (07-17-2013), Tom Servo (07-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Guzman was 1999, IIRC. Wells and Portugal (and Lewis) were 1995.
    Dave Burba, as well.

Also, in addition to Kevin Mitchell in '96, Bobby Bonilla was minutes away from being dealt from Baltimore to Cincy. But, at the last minute, Peter Angelos nixed the deal.

It is a safe bet that Bonilla, when added to the mix with Mitchell, would have been a season-altering acquisition, even considering the holes in the '96 roster composition.
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I would think these four from the Cubs (they've packed it in) would get instant consideration:

Shierholtz prompts my interest -- but I don't want to pay a lot for this muffler. Navarro might interest me if our catching stays unhealthy. The other two not so much.
    "I’ll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. That’s just how I do things.” -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post

Good Lord, the Cubs have 4 guys OPS'ing over .800? The Reds 4th place guy is OPSing .735.

22. Likes:

Hubba (07-15-2013)

Turn Off Ads?