Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 83 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Please not Denorfia! We still haven't wiped up all the slobber from the last time he was a Red!

2. Likes:

WVRedsFan (07-15-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Here's a crazy idea: Oliver Perez
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/olive...cher-you-want/

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-16-2013)

I really don't expect the Reds to make any moves at the deadline. The bullpen is pretty successful and will get better when Marshall and Brox return. There is no solution to left and short that makes any sense. Same with catcher. We just have to hope Ludwick gets back soon or someone catches fire in left and that Cozart doesn't hurt us too much. Stating pitching has been uneven, contrary to what many think. Latos and Bailey are inconsistent, as is Arroyo and the lack of offense just compounds that. I have to think something will change in the second half (which is crazy since the Reds have played ten games past halfway). Nothing is available that will make much of a difference. Perez? Who do you get rid of. Parra maybe. If they could get something for Heisey, Isturiz, and Parra in a package, but no one is that foolish.

All this and still 11 games over .500 and only five games out. It's amazing. I fully expect the Bucs to have a bad second half and the Cardinals to keep on keeping on. If we cannot get the primary wild card, then who cares? I'd just as soon as regroup and build for 2014. We may be on an every other year plan. Playoffs in 2010, 2012 and 2014. Sure as heck beats 2001-2009, right?
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

"If we cannot get the primary wild card, who cares?"

The primary Wild Card and secondary Wild Card are the same thing besides where a game is played. The Cardinals got to Game 7 of the NLCS via the second Wild Card last year.

So to answer your question, yeah I'd care.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

8. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-16-2013),HeatherC1212 (07-18-2013),Tom Servo (07-16-2013)

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...-trade-Chapman

I like the idea of pursuing Stanton if not for another bat in our lineup, but to keep him from the other NL Central teams, but I do not know if I like the idea of giving up Chapman. He may be overpaid and should be a starter, but with our rotation depth and no one in the BP that looks to be as dominate or electrifying at closer it might be detrimental to the team.

What does everyone else think? Would this trade help or hurt the team?
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    The article says
    No hard- throwing reliever has lasted more than four to five years in Major League Baseball…
    Lee Smith, Gossage, Billy Wagner, Wohlers, Rob Nenn ?

The writer kind of loses credibility by making that his primary argument.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...-trade-Chapman

I like the idea of pursuing Stanton if not for another bat in our lineup, but to keep him from the other NL Central teams, but I do not know if I like the idea of giving up Chapman. He may be overpaid and should be a starter, but with our rotation depth and no one in the BP that looks to be as dominate or electrifying at closer it might be detrimental to the team.

What does everyone else think? Would this trade help or hurt the team?
    given the Marlins track record we wouldnt have to give anyone of value to get Stanton. Hell we probably dont even have to give them a player

Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    given the Marlins track record we wouldnt have to give anyone of value to get Stanton. Hell we probably dont even have to give them a player
    What? Given their track record we'd probably have to give up prospects who end up being good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    What? Given their track record we'd probably have to give up prospects who end up being good.
    Who ended up or will end up being as good as Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle, and Hanley Ramirez?

And then you also have Emilio Bonifacio, Ricky Nolasco, Omar Infante and Gaby Sanchez who arent the greatest but the marlins still lost every trade they have made the last 2 years

The Marlins are not making the smartest trades so why not try to reap those benefits? Stanton is a lot better than his numbers this year show. He has visited the DL a couple of times too so this might be a good chance to get him while his value is not as high as it could be.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

I would trade Chapman for Stanton in a heartbeat. I'd probably include Hamilton as well. Problem is I don't think the Fish do that deal.
    Go BLUE!!!

16. Likes:

CySeymour (07-17-2013),Edd Roush (07-17-2013),Hubba (07-16-2013),Raisor (07-18-2013),RedEye (07-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I would trade Chapman for Stanton in a heartbeat. I'd probably include Hamilton as well. Problem is I don't think the Fish do that deal.
    Yeah... I don't think they would either. That would be awesome though.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    The article says

Lee Smith, Gossage, Billy Wagner, Wohlers, Rob Nenn ?

The writer kind of loses credibility by making that his primary argument.
    Maybe he has been reading Fangraphs lately:
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-m...-joakim-soria/
    Let’s just look at where the top 10 under-30 relievers from the 2010 season are now, just for fun? Remember, this is good young relievers, most of whom were under club control for many years.

Carlos Marmol, +2.8 WAR: DFA’d, traded in salary dump, in minors
    Brian Wilson, +2.5 WAR: Surgery, hasn’t pitched since start of last year
    Hong-Chih Kuo, +2.3 WAR: Surgery, inability to throw strikes, out of baseball
    Neftali Feliz, +2.0 WAR: Surgery, hasn’t pitched in 2013
    Sean Marshall, +1.9 WAR: Has pitched 7 innings this year due to sore shoulder
    Joakim Soria, +1.9 WAR: Surgery, hasn’t pitched since 2011
    John Axford, +1.8 WAR: Lost closer job, pitching middle relief, likely non-tender
    Daniel Bard, +1.6 WAR: Lost strike zone, sent to AA, now on DL
    Jonny Venters, +1.6 WAR: Surgery, out for the season
    Juan Oviedo, +1.4 WAR: Surgery, out for the season

This isn’t a cherry picked list of guys who were good and then washed out. This is the top 10 under-30 relievers by WAR just a couple of years ago. There isn’t a single pitcher on that list that has any real value in 2013. The Brewers are likely to trade Axford for a pittance, as some team takes a shot on him finishing strong as a setup guy, but everyone else is either rehabbing or trying to get back to the big leagues in some form. John Axford is the success story of the group.

Relievers, even really good young relievers, should be viewed as ripe fruit. They are great for a while, but you don’t store ripe fruit for the future planning on having a healthy snack later. You consume it now or waste it.

19. Likes:

lollipopcurve (07-17-2013),mth123 (07-18-2013),RedEye (07-17-2013),RedTeamGo! (07-17-2013)

Now that we are through the all star festivities the rumor mill should really start to pick up.

From mlbtraderumors via Leatherpants:

The Cardinals, Reds, Dodgers and Braves have all inquired on Twins closer Glen Perkins and been turned away. Those four teams are all monitoring the health of Jesse Crain as well.

Turn Off Ads?