Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 83 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think people are off base about dealing Chapman. Teams dealing good players this time of year are sellers that are looking to rebuild. Chapman will become arb eligible after the season and will enter 2014 as an expensive closer or possibly worse, an expensive while still being untested (and reluctant) starting pitcher. Rebuilding teams aren't going to want that IMO. If the Reds were selling to retool for 2014, a Chapman deal would make a ton of sense.

One deal where Chapman could make sense would be with Detroit. The Tigers have a couple young relievers that might interest the Reds (Rondon, Potkonen) and a good young AAA OF in Nick Castellanos that could probably help now. They've also been rumored to be willing to move Porcello or Smyly to get that stud closer. If the Reds could get one of Smyly or Porcello along with Castellanos, dealing Chapman to improve the team both this year and in the future might make sense. I don't see many other options where deaing Chapman would be anything other than punting 2013.

The Marlins or some team like that, aren't going to have any interest in Chapman IMO. JJ Hoover, OTOH, might entice quite a few rebuilding teams. One reason to look for a reliever might be to make it easier to part with Hoover in a deal for a bat.
    Castellanos + Smyly for Chapman - get it done.

I think Cast is going to be really solid. Smyly has been really good this year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

Plus think of all the Smyly face puns we could make.

I posted the whole Miguel for Votto/Chap + reds farm system on www.motownsports.com and the overwhelming response was they would want the Tigers to make the trade. Some said no because of Fielder.

From the Reds' vantage point I don't see them even thinking about trading Chapman right now. At some point it would make sense because many relievers have short shelf lives. But now -- I don't see it.

First off, Chapman is a big drawing/ratings card. Did he deserve to be an All Star this year? Arguably not. Still, the league wanted him. They wanted his fastball on TV. He's good for business.

Secondly, the Reds bullpen is diminished by injury, it would seem to be the worst time to trade Chapman. And mid-season during a pennant race? If they want to switch to a Hoover as closer (one of very few viable choices) you wouldn't think they would do it at this point.

Thirdly, the Reds really care about late innings relievers. Maybe they care too much but they have traded half a farm system (intentional overstatement) to get guys like Marshall and Broxton. So they don't have the same view of many folks here that these guys are fungible and not worth very much
    individually.

Again, at some point it probably makes sense to trade a fastball reliever. They usually fade. But I don't think the Reds would do it right now.

If they got back a top ranked, proven closer? Possible, then, although I still think unlikely.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-18-2013 at 10:07 AM.

I agree the Reds would not do this, but if you can get a potential impact bat like Cast (who actually is a third basemen, but blocked by Miggy) AND a very good reliver in Smyly (9.2 k/9 - 2.2 bb/9) you would have to do it. I actually do not think there is any way the Tigers would consider this trade unless they were really desperate.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think people are off base about dealing Chapman. Teams dealing good players this time of year are sellers that are looking to rebuild. Chapman will become arb eligible after the season and will enter 2014 as an expensive closer or possibly worse, an expensive while still being untested (and reluctant) starting pitcher. Rebuilding teams aren't going to want that IMO. If the Reds were selling to retool for 2014, a Chapman deal would make a ton of sense.

One deal where Chapman could make sense would be with Detroit. The Tigers have a couple young relievers that might interest the Reds (Rondon, Potkonen) and a good young AAA OF in Nick Castellanos that could probably help now. They've also been rumored to be willing to move Porcello or Smyly to get that stud closer. If the Reds could get one of Smyly or Porcello along with Castellanos, dealing Chapman to improve the team both this year and in the future might make sense. I don't see many other options where deaing Chapman would be anything other than punting 2013.

The Marlins or some team like that, aren't going to have any interest in Chapman IMO. JJ Hoover, OTOH, might entice quite a few rebuilding teams. One reason to look for a reliever might be to make it easier to part with Hoover in a deal for a bat.
    I like the idea of moving Chapman. I think he's overrated as long as he is a reliever.

Sending Chapman to Det?!?! I'm a fan! Castellanos is a stud right now in AAA (LF possibly solved for the next 3 years at league minimum). High OBP for the 2 hole with a solid glove? Then if they kick in Smyly, they give us Chapman's replacement. High k/9 low bb/9.

I would love for that trade to go through.

I posted the whole Miguel for Votto/Chap + reds farm system on www.motownsports.com and the overwhelming response was they would want the Tigers to make the trade. Some said no because of Fielder.
    Was there any doubt they'd be all over it? Good grief. It would make their team ridiculously better -- slide Prince to DH and you are set to go.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

9. Likes:

Tom Servo (07-18-2013)

I doubt the Tigers would trade Castellanos and Smyly for Chapman. The only trade idea that I've seen that is both realistic and beneficial to the team right now is a deal for Doumit. Though, by itself, it won't be enough. Which means they'll need another trade. And when you start needing multiple trades to get you where you need, you realize that the Reds are, as I said earlier, in a bit of a tough spot vis this postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I doubt the Tigers would trade Castellanos and Smyly for Chapman. The only trade idea that I've seen that is both realistic and beneficial to the team right now is a deal for Doumit. Though, by itself, it won't be enough. Which means they'll need another trade. And when you start needing multiple trades to get you where you need, you realize that the Reds are, as I said earlier, in a bit of a tough spot vis this postseason.
    Doumit? He's a completely fungible piece that fits better as an AL guy due to his pathetic fielding. If the Reds biggest need is Ryan Doumit, then, quite frankly, I like our chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Doumit? He's a completely fungible piece that fits better as an AL guy due to his pathetic fielding. If the Reds biggest need is Ryan Doumit, then, quite frankly, I like our chances.
    I didn't say Doumit was the answer, I said Rojos proposal to get a bat like Doumits was realistic. And his bat would help, as evidenced by the below replacement output they're currently getting at catcher.

But as I said in my post, that's certainly not enough.

In my ideal scenario, they get David Wright and move Frazier to
    Left. Two problems solved.

I didn't say Doumit was the answer, I said Rojos proposal to get a bat like Doumits was realistic. And his bat would help, as evidenced by the below replacement output they're currently getting at catcher.

But as I said in my post, that's certainly not enough.

In my ideal scenario, they get David Wright and move Frazier to
    Left. Two problems solved.
    Doesn't seem likely the Reds will do that. When has Jocketty ever favoured a slight hitting improvement for the C position while sacrificing defense?

I think they'll continue to look for upgrades at the LF position, but I don't think it makes sense to change the catching situation this late in the game considering the importance of the continued success of the pitching. If Jocketty could find a catcher who excels in both areas, then it would be a fine of improving.... unfortunately, Posey isn't available!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Doesn't seem likely the Reds will do that. When has Jocketty ever favoured a slight hitting improvement for the C position while sacrificing defense?

I think they'll continue to look for upgrades at the LF position, but I don't think it makes sense to change the catching situation this late in the game considering the importance of the continued success of the pitching. If Jocketty could find a catcher who excels in both areas, then it would be a fine of improving.... unfortunately, Posey isn't available!
    I think Doumit's defense is no worse than Mesoraco's.

I do think the Reds need multiple trades. They are getting so little offense from certain positions (plural) and have had so many key bullpen injuries that there are a lot of spots to upgrade.

The good news is that they don't have to trade for stars. Some of these positions are hitting so far below sea level that a competent short-term veteran will help.

The bad news, as you point out, is that the Reds have multiple needs.

True, Doumit would probably be no worse of a back-up catcher at this point.

I'd personally rather keep going with Mes because I think his bat will come around.... don't really see him being much worse than Doumit right now, and continue his progression in the future. It's not like Doumit is lighting the world on fire and would be anything more than a very marginal improvement even in a dream scenario.

Isn't Doumit pretty injury prone though? At some point, the Reds just need a warm body to stay healthy and catch. Not sure Doumit is the best candidate for that, unfortunately, though he is a decent player.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Turn Off Ads?