Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    One idea for the deadline is for the Reds to become sellers. Wonder what they could get at the deadline for Choo and Arroyo? Rentals for the top contenders.

Those are the two obvious guys, I guess Bailey is a candidate too. Lecure might fetch you something decent. Can't think of anyone else who would bring much and the Reds are likely to want to trade off.

Possibly Sean Marshall if he is healthy, but probably won't bring back enough to warrant a trade. Injury must hurt his value.
    Kc, I like you. I really do. But this post makes my head hurt. I'm so beside myself right now due to this, my other self (standing beside me) just kicked the crap out of me. It hurt. I'm now sad. I blame you.

2. Likes:

Reds/Flyers Fan (06-27-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Btw...I stand by my prediction of us running away with the division and having the best record in baseball at the end of the season. I'm pretty sure I went with 104 wins. This team has yet to click. They're getting guys back over the next couple of weeks. Watch out.

And the west coast thing...that was a problem for the old reds teams. It hasn't really been much of an issue with Dusty's Reds.

Instead of looking at the NL central standings, I highly suggest most of you start looking at the mlb overall standings. It'll put things into perspective for you a bit easier IMO.

5. Likes:

Raisor (06-27-2013)

One idea for the deadline is for the Reds to become sellers. Wonder what they could get at the deadline for Choo and Arroyo? Rentals for the top contenders.
    That would be worse than trading Neagle in 2000 when we were in second place.

I'm pretty sure if the season ended today, we'd be in the playoffs. (I'm too lazy to check, but pretty sure) Not the time to sell at all. Hopefully Brox and Marshall come back soon, and the offense gets hot again.. We still have a good shot of winning the division.
    Last edited by REDREAD; 06-26-2013 at 11:58 PM.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...t-basemen.html

Obviously the Reds are not in the market for a 1B, but the names Logan Morrison and Mike Morse are interesting to me for left field.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 06-27-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Calmer than you are

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...t-basemen.html

Obviously the Reds are not in the market for a 1B, but the names Logan Morrison and Mike More are interested to me for left field.
    I've always liked LoMo...but he can't stay healthy for any period of time. And he's a lefty. He looks like an old man running in left field.

I really think the Reds biggest need is a real RH bat. That is the biggest weakness on the team, but I'm afraid they might put all their eggs in Ludwick's basket.

Aramis Ramirez is an interesting named, but I don't think he's that much better than Frazier at this point. Morse, Soriano? Eh. I think the Reds need to shoot bigger.

I'd go all in and try to get Stanton. Offer up Hamilton and Cingrani. Try to win the World Series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Morse, Soriano? Eh. I think the Reds need to shoot bigger.
    I don't know - More is a pretty massive guy.

I really think the Reds biggest need is a real RH bat. That is the biggest weakness on the team, but I'm afraid they might put all their eggs in Ludwick's basket.

Aramis Ramirez is an interesting named, but I don't think he's that much better than Frazier at this point. Morse, Soriano? Eh. I think the Reds need to shoot bigger.

I'd go all in and try to get Stanton. Offer up Hamilton and Cingrani. Try to win the World Series.
    I'm willing to deal Hamilton, but Cingrani is the next man up in a rotation that is about to become too expensive to keep together.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I've wanted Stanton for years and there's nobody on the Reds that would be untouchable in order to get him. However, he appears at this time to not be available.

The RH bat I'd love to see is Michael Young. The Reds could either put him in LF or else at 3b and move Frazier to LF. Regardless, Young would fit like a glove in the 2-hole.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    That would be worse than trading Neagle in 2000 when we were in second place.

I'm pretty sure if the season ended today, we'd be in the playoffs. (I'm too lazy to check, but pretty sure) Not the time to sell at all. Hopefully Brox and Marshall come back soon, and the offense gets hot again.. We still have a good shot of winning the division.
    Think out of the box on this for a minute.

Let's say a big market team is willing to take on Choo and Arroyo at season's end and give the Reds a highly rated, near major league prospect, plus a couple of useful players/prospects. And let's say the Reds don't believe they can or will re-sign Arroyo and Choo.

I think any team would have to consider it, unless they believe they are World Series bound, as is.

I guess I don't believe that all playoff teams have an equal chance. We'd have to see how the Reds are doing -- if they look very strong then you pass, obviously.

Maybe Ludwick is nearly back by then, maybe the pen is healthy and Cingrani ready to start.

It's an unlikely scenario but I think any good GM would have to think about it. I'm not talking about trading Votto, or Bruce, or Phillips, or Latos, or Chapman, or Cueto, or Leake.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-27-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Kc, I like you. I really do. But this post makes my head hurt. I'm so beside myself right now due to this, my other self (standing beside me) just kicked the crap out of me. It hurt. I'm now sad. I blame you.
    I apologize, Charles, the last thing on earth I want to do is make you sad. Well, maybe next to last, LOL.

I'm just thinking out of the box.

Frankly, I've never believed in buyers and sellers. I've always thought that sometimes a good team can "sell" in a limited way, help the future, and not impair the present. And sometimes a bad team might be wise to pick up a veteran. I don't think it's that cut and dried necessarily.

I wouldn't belabor this, it's just an idea, but it's not something that is expected or likely or worth a lot of debate. Not advocating it, just exploring.

More likely is that the Reds add a reliever and possibly a RH bat if Heisey hasn't turned things around.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-27-2013 at 01:50 PM.

Let's say a big market team is willing to take on Choo and Arroyo at season's end and give the Reds a highly rated, near major league prospect, plus a couple of useful players/prospects. And let's say the Reds don't believe they can or will re-sign Arroyo and Choo.

I think any team would have to consider it, unless they believe they are World Series bound, as is.

I guess I don't believe that all playoff teams have an equal chance. We'd have to see how the Reds are doing -- if they look very strong then you pass, obviously.

Maybe Ludwick is nearly back by then, maybe the pen is healthy and Cingrani ready to start.

It's an unlikely scenario but I think any good GM would have to think about it. I'm not talking about trading Votto, or Bruce, or Phillips, or Latos, or Chapman, or Cueto, or Leake.
    What? The Reds are good enough to win the World Series this year. This is nonsense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I apologize, the last thing on earth I want to do is make you sad. Well, maybe next to last, LOL.

I'm just thinking out of the box.

Frankly, I've never believed in buyers and sellers. I've always thought that sometimes a good team can "sell" in a limited way, help the future, and not impair the present. It's very unlikely, just a thought.

I wouldn't belabor this, it's just an idea, but it's not something that is expected or likely or worth a lot of debate.
    Would you still pick Choo over Bruce? I'm very confused about where you are coming from here.

I can see your point, but I guess I look at the near horizon.. 2013 is going to be the best chance we have to win a WS in a long time, precisely because Choo and Arroyo are likely to leave after this year. We're peaking now. Maybe we can do the analysis of all playoff bound teams and decide (hypothetically) that we are the least likely of all teams to win the WS.. Still, you have to go for it this year.

Another point is that Bob and Walt have worked hard and invested a lot into building this 2013. And they are being rewarded with record TV ratings and one of the best attendence years ever. Why kill that momentum by trading Choo/Arroyo?
    Realistically.. what is 1/2 season of those guys worth on the trade market? Not a whole lot compared to the downside. A full year of Choo was worth Gregorous and Stubbs.. Now Didi is a nice prospect, but not worth tossing our leadoff hitter.
    Likewise, if we trade Arroyo, the rotation is paper thin and we risk a situation like last year in the playoffs when Cueto got hurt... Cingrani is needed in the pen now.

If you rank all the prospects in baseball that will not be ready until 2014, I doubt any of them are worth Choo/Arroyo now. 2013 is just too important for the Reds, we need to maximize our wins now. Keep the momentum going, get a great new TV deal, keep selling tickets.. That will help the franchise's future health more than a few more prospects on the farm.. Heck, we will probably get 2 draft picks from those guys leaving as FA anyhow, which further negates the benefit from trading them. The Reds will surely offer Choo arb. Maybe they don't risk it with Arroyo though.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?