Turn Off Ads?
Page 34 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    He can hop in when Cueto goes down with a lat pull.
    Or when Peavy inevitably gets hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think the Reds are scouting Crain

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think the Reds are scouting Crain
    We do too. We're just dreaming of Peavy.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Peavy seems kind of broken down to me. I would rather have our top 5 than him.

6. Likes:

Donder (07-24-2013),HeatherC1212 (07-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Same as every other year.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
    Not sure that's a fair statement
    2012: Broxton
    2011: lost year
    2010: Edmonds
    2009: Rolen

This year, we picked up a lot of players in the offseason. Choo in particular.
    Walt did his shopping early.

They were talking about Walt's comments on another broadcast.
    Walt's points were stated as:
    -- Not sure there's an OF better than Ludwick available. Not many bats available. Hard to find a middle of the order bat

As far as getting a bullpen arm in a trade. I wanted this done earlier, but the bullpen has truly been fantastic of late. Partch and Logan are probably going to get bumped to AAA once Marshal and Broxton come back, but they have been servicable in their roles. Simon, Hoover, and Parra all pitching well. None of them deserve to be bumped off the roster at this point.

Even if the Reds think one of Broxton/Marshall is done for the season, is it really worth making a trade to upgrade from Logan? Not really sure it is, as the pen is doing the job. Logan is a great 12th man out of the pen.
    Heck, I'm excited about Partch's future too. If he can get consistent control, he's going to be a great reliever. Love his stuff. But I can see the desire to bump him back to the minors.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

If they think Broxton or Marshall are going to be out for the season they absolutely have to make a trade. The bullpen is OK right now but we all saw what happened earlier in the year when a bullpen goes bad.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Hard to believe the Reds would be in on Peavy, but Crain seems like a reasonable target for Walt this year.
    The Reds have to make this trade.
    We may never get another chance to have a Reds team with
    Frazier-Crain

[Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

10. Likes:

Always Red (07-24-2013),Big Klu (07-24-2013),HeatherC1212 (07-24-2013),LexRedsFan (07-24-2013),OC_Red (07-24-2013),RedEye (07-24-2013),RedTeamGo! (07-24-2013),Revering4Blue (07-24-2013),RichRed (07-24-2013),RiverRat13 (07-24-2013),Tom Servo (07-24-2013),UKFlounder (07-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    If they think Broxton or Marshall are going to be out for the season they absolutely have to make a trade. The bullpen is OK right now but we all saw what happened earlier in the year when a bullpen goes bad.
    They need two of the three of Cueto, Broxton or Marshall to come back. If Cueto comes back, Cingrani goes back to the bullpen so there's one of your upgrades in the pen. If it looks like two of those three will not return, then you probably need to get an arm.

12. Likes:

REDREAD (07-24-2013),Revering4Blue (07-24-2013)

I think you need to get an arm either way. At this point in the season I do not trust the health of any of Cueto, Marshall, or Broxton.

Speaking of Marshall, am I just being paranoid or do others feel as if he is a broken toy (Masset) at this point?

Nick Travieso, Neftali Soto, Donald Lutz and Chris Heisey for Alex Rios and Jesse Crain and $5M cash.
    Throw in Corcino or Rogers if you have to.

Let's go!
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-24-2013 at 11:53 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

That's an overpay in my opinion. Rios is owed quite a bit of money.

Thus, the 5 million dollar cash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Is he not owed another 14 next season?

Another thing we have to think about.

I hate to be a pessemist, but it seems very unlikely with just 61 games left, that we're going to be able to pass both the Cards and the Pirates and win the division title. We may pass one of them, but probably not both.

So we have to be honest and project the Reds being in the one game WC playoff. How many prospects do we want to surrender to marginally improve our chances of a one game playoff? We are likely going to have to add a CF in the offseason because it doesn't seem like Billy H will be ready.

I'm just not that enthused about trading someone like Travesio, Winker, etc for the one game playoff. Regardless of whether we trade for an OF or not, Ludwick is going to get the starting nod when he comes back from rehab. And that really makes sense, because he's signed through next year. Let's say we add Rios.
    Do you play Rios for 2-3 weeks then bench him? Or do you bench Ludwick? It's an awkward situation all the way around.

Not even sure I'd want to add Peavy at this point, for what he's going to cost. We have the SP to hold on to the wildcard slot. Arroyo and Leake are not aces, but they are legitimate guys to start in a 5 game playoff series, if we advance that far.

If we can add talent by trading some C prospects, sure, let's go for it.. But I'm not sure that's realistic. Really Aoki is the only guy that I would like to add in all these threads (assuming he could be had for cheap). Heck, even getting Aoki poses problems .. When Ludwick comes back, you'd have to cut Paul (unless Aoki can backup CF, I don't know, then maybe you could cut Heisey) There's just not much of a fit for a short term rental.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Another thing we have to think about.

I hate to be a pessemist, but it seems very unlikely with just 61 games left, that we're going to be able to pass both the Cards and the Pirates and win the division title. We may pass one of them, but probably not both.

So we have to be honest and project the Reds being in the one game WC playoff. How many prospects do we want to surrender to marginally improve our chances of a one game playoff? We are likely going to have to add a CF in the offseason because it doesn't seem like Billy H will be ready.
    Which is exactly why Rios is the right target...

I'm just not that enthused about trading someone like Travesio, Winker, etc for the one game playoff. Regardless of whether we trade for an OF or not, Ludwick is going to get the starting nod when he comes back from rehab. And that really makes sense, because he's signed through next year. Let's say we add Rios.
    Do you play Rios for 2-3 weeks then bench him? Or do you bench Ludwick? It's an awkward situation all the way around.
    For the next month until Ludwick is ready: LF Choo, CF Rios, RF Bruce
    Once Ludwick is ready, play him instead of Choo against righties. If Ludwick comes back looking like 2012 Ludwick, you have a nice problem. I suspect Ludwick will only be a shell of his former self for the remainder of 2013, as he is a player who relies heavily on timing. Thus, he may look more like the 2011 Ludwick aka a nice platoon player to have.

Next year after Choo leaves in the offseason (hopefully after declining the qualifying offer) you have RF Bruce, CF Rios, and LF Rejuvenated 2012-looking Ryan Ludwick. If/when Billy Hamilton proves ready to takeover everyday CF duties at some point in the season, you can trade Rios or Ludwick as a rental. Advantage of trading Rios is he might bring more in a trade at that point, and the team's loyalty to Ludwick. Advantage of trading Ludwick is you could potentially make a qualifying offer to Rios in the offseason and get a draft pick, of course assuming he produces like 2012 Rios and not 2011 Rios. Either way, both Rios and Ludwick are highly volatile players. I'd feel a lot better diversifying across both of them for the next year+ in order to have a trusted bat in our lineup.

Not even sure I'd want to add Peavy at this point, for what he's going to cost. We have the SP to hold on to the wildcard slot. Arroyo and Leake are not aces, but they are legitimate guys to start in a 5 game playoff series, if we advance that far.

If we can add talent by trading some C prospects, sure, let's go for it.. But I'm not sure that's realistic. Really Aoki is the only guy that I would like to add in all these threads (assuming he could be had for cheap). Heck, even getting Aoki poses problems .. When Ludwick comes back, you'd have to cut Paul (unless Aoki can backup CF, I don't know, then maybe you could cut Heisey) There's just not much of a fit for a short term rental.
    Peavy is likely too expensive in terms of prospects.
    The thing I like about my proposal is we really are only trading C prospects for Rios and Crain (and some cash). Sure Travieso has upside, but he also has a career 5.58 ERA. He could just as easily be the next Chris Gruler/Kyle Lotzkar as he could the next Homer Bailey. For a year-and-a-half of Rios+ Crain, I'd be willing to take that risk.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?