Turn Off Ads?
Page 40 of 83 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Trade Deadline Thread

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Young is a much better fit on the bench for this team than Hannahan is. Hannahan is kind of useless on the Reds, to be honest.
    I agree. Think the FO signed him out of concern that Frazier may not have a reliable glove. And that nice-looking swing of Hannahan's has generated an incredible lack of solid contact.

I normally would choose a LH bat over a RH bat, but not in this case.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

2. Turn Off Ads?

I don't see the appeal of Young, although I fear this is the move we'll make.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Not only that, but Cingrani is a potential force in the bullpen for the playoffs.
    I think that's an excellent point.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

The Reds are very much built to win now. They have a relatively set roster, but an industry source indicated this week that Cincinnati has been quite aggressive on the trade market.

The Reds could sit tight, but they certainly could pursue something like an outfield bat -- which could then put them squarely at odds with the Pirates, who also could use just that. Whether one move would beget another is less clear, but it's at least possible

I don't know much about Young's defense. That said, I would welcome another .275 hitter in the lineup with Frazier moving into the 3b/LF rotation role like last year. The Reds probably feel like they need to score more runs to catch the Cards. A player like Young can come up big, IMO. I've always liked the player, wouldn't mind it much at all as a rental with potential for hitting .300+ down the stretch. Might have the most value on the market.

That said, I kind of hope there is a reliever or something else coming back. I don't know. Heisey is a strong candidate to do really well in the 2nd half and brings defense. Ludwick catching fire in September makes any trade we can make in LF moot. If Young is a bench player, then great either way. He's played in the WS and that's where this team is heading.

Michael Young .342/.405/.747

Posting since I haven't seen anyone else do so

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Jack Hannahan .216 .313 .278 .591

I like Young's numbers more. Even if he's missing one.
    Last edited by malcontent; 07-26-2013 at 12:57 PM.

If the Reds were getting Young to place Hannahan I would like it, but sadly I fear that wouldn't be the case.

Hell, I'm not even against playing him at SS (it will never happen).
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post

Posting since I haven't seen anyone else do so
    Where does that play in our lineup? Frazier has an OPS almost 20 points higher, and gold glove D at 3B.

Young plays terrible defense, and makes $16M (even if the Rangers are paying a portion of it).
    Go BLUE!!!

I am against him playing SS - that would be like trying to race the Indianapolis 500 in a 1998 mustang.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I am against him playing SS - that would be like trying to race the Indianapolis 500 in a 1998 mustang.
    Seems to be going okay for Choo in CF.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Where does that play in our lineup? Frazier has an OPS almost 20 points higher, and gold glove D at 3B.

Young plays terrible defense, and makes $16M (even if the Rangers are paying a portion of it).
    I like the idea of Young at 3B. Frazier is a better defender but I think putting Young and Frazier's bat in the order is a better net gain than what it currently is.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

He doesn't make 16 million. The Rangers paid 10 of it. You're going to get him 2/3rds of the way thru the season. You'd be paying him like 2+ million.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Hell, I'm not even against playing him at SS (it will never happen).
    There is a reason why it would never happen, and it's the same reason why you should hope it never happens.

Young may well be the only player in the league who gets a -War in defense as a DH.

17. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (07-26-2013),Tom Servo (07-26-2013)

Turn Off Ads?