Turn Off Ads?
Page 43 of 83 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I fail to see why anyone would want Kevin Gregg.
    He's been good all season. His July numbers aren't so hot, but he had one really bad outing against the Cardinals and hasn't been horrible otherwise. I think people are putting too much on Marshall and Broxton coming back. They keep saying they are on their way back and they keep having set-backs and really there is no pending activation of either of them. Gregg would be somebody that the Reds could probably get with the little talent they have to deal and he's better than Ondrusek should the comeback get derailed.

As for why anyone would want Robinson, well, he wouldn't be a primary target, but just like the bullpen, I want the Reds to get a capable OF because who knows whether Ludwick will have a setback between now and his eventual return. He hasn't even played the field yet. A team dealing an OF is going to need somebody to play. Robinson is young, fast, plays good defense that is CF worthy and so far as a major leaguer has gotten on base. A rebuilding team wouldn't target a guy like him, but I think they'd take one as a lottery ticket in a package deal.

The guy I really want is David Dejesus. He gets on base and would be a good guy in a platoon with Heisey at worst case. If Ludwick comes back, he could play those days when Ludwick needs a day off (which is at least a couple days per week) and is under a reasonable deal for 2014. The Reds just won't be able to afford Choo, Hamilton isn't ready and they are going to need somebody in CF. Big ticket options aren't realistic. Dejesus or Alejandro De Aza seem like the best targets as both would fit the budget and would mesh well in a tandem with Heisey and at the top of the order. Get extra help and insurance for 2013 and solve the CF/Lead-off problem for 2014 at the same time.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Likes:

LexRedsFan (07-27-2013),RedlegJake (07-27-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I doubt the Reds will seek a lefty platoon hitter like DeJesus. Walt said yesterday that he has been looking for a RHH. This makes sense since the guy they want to bolster is RHH Ludwick. The Reds have hit righties and lefties about equally this year, but they don't have a RHH who destroys lefties. A new guy might fill that hole if Ludwick can't.

While I'm impressed with Mesoraco and Frazier of late, for this year I think Ludwick is the missing link and if the Reds acquire a corner outfielder, the Reds need to replicate Ludwick as much as possible. IMO the Reds aren't looking for someone to platoon with Heisey. They are looking for a good RHH who can be the primary left fielder if Ludwick can't.

DeJesus is a good player and I believe is a pending free agent. If the Cubs gave him away to the Reds, it would be fine, but I don't think he is what the Reds are looking for.

A different set of considerations may apply if the Reds go after a centerfielder, a stopgap to replace Choo in 2014. That could not be a rental, it opens up other considerations.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-27-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Not to pick on you, but I have heard other people compare the Reds to the Yankees. Did the Reds lose their 1B, SS, 3B, and LF for essentially the whole season? That is more money on the DL than the entire Reds roster.
    No, but we did lose our #1 starter, our clean up hitter, and our #2 and #3 relief pitchers.

6. Likes:

marcshoe (07-28-2013),reds44 (07-28-2013),Revering4Blue (07-27-2013)

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 1m
    Angels are now 13 games back and open for business. Sources say they're willing to listen on Erick Aybar, Howie Kendrick and plenty more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

If the reds got aybar it would be fantastic. I think he would be really good at Gabp

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 32s
    For Kendrick or Aybar, #Angels would seek a starter under multi-year control. Some teams want major leaguers for such pitchers, source says.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Aybar would definitely be an upgrade, but I can't see the Reds giving up Leake or Cingrani for him.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Homer for aybar and downs and hope cueto comes back strong. Get it done, Walt.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Homer for aybar and downs and hope cueto comes back strong. Get it done, Walt.
    No way I do that deal. I want Bailey and Latos locked up long term. Rather trade Cueto at this point honestly.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Angels prob wouldn't do cueto. We most likely are not going to sign homer long term and we have some good arms in the minors. Trade surplus to lower the hitting defecit.

Lets be honest with ourselves - homer is pretty inconsistent, I think he is replaceable.

Lets be honest with ourselves - homer is pretty inconsistent, I think he is replaceable.
    Disagree. He's been on the short end of some close contests this year, but he's been a top-10 MLB pitcher for most of the season IMO. He's the kind of guy you try to lock up. No way he should be 5-10 (and more evidence -- as if we needed any more -- that W-L record is a meaningless way to evaluate SP).

Angels prob wouldn't do cueto.
    Who knows? He is at least young and cost controlled for a few years. But yeah, injuries could be a concern. Still -- it's not like LAA would be making the deal for this year anyway. Maybe they think they can solve his lat problems.

Hard for me to fathom how trading any of Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Leake, Cingrani, or Arroyo improves this team either this year or next.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Hard for me to fathom how trading any of Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Leake, Cingrani, or Arroyo improves this team either this year or next.
    Well, if you get a solution at SS (Aybar) and a RP in exchange for Leake or Arroyo, I think I would consider it. Not saying I'd pull the trigger, but you'd have my ear.

Turn Off Ads?