Turn Off Ads?
Page 51 of 83 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Send dirty socks and a handful of Chris Heisey, Felix Perez, and Sharky Rogers types for Hunter Pence---Yes

Send actual prospects for Hunter Pence no.

Walt wanted him last year too. He is the classic pain in the butt player that the Reds need. They don't have one of those. Ludwick comes back, and the Reds have a RH power bat for the bench. Two positions upgraded.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Likes:

Edd Roush (07-29-2013),Falls City Beer (07-29-2013),OesterPoster (07-29-2013),Tom Servo (07-29-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    The always dreaded 22 year old goes from Top 50 prospect in all of baseball to worthless in a year fall from grace. A common tale.
    According to reports scouts have been saying his bat will not play at major league level. Usually a pretty bad sign.

I really like Pence as a target but not at the price point being discussed here. He'd be a great addition to our lineup, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Hunter Pence is a player who is always grossly overrated for some strange reason.

Facts are facts, and he's a sub-.800 OPS bat that plays a defensive position the Reds have no need for improvement at. So unless you're planning on giving up talent to have him re-enact Jeb Bartlett's speech in "Two Cathedrals" as a motivational tool, I really don't understand the fascination with him on a yearly basis.
    Does Pence smoke? Because it won't be nearly as effective if he doesn't smoke.

7. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (07-29-2013)

The articles I have read say the Giants would much rather sign Pence than trade him so it will take a big offer to get him. One of the Giants writers had an article that he thinks they may trade Pence only if they could get a starting pitcher for him.

I don't see the Reds giving up starting pitching to acquire Pence especially with Cueto's ongoing injury issues.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    According to reports scouts have been saying his bat will not play at major league level. Usually a pretty bad sign.
    This is derailing the conversation.

But lets be fair. Hamilton is the type of guy scouts love to comment on. He seems like a all speed, no hit tool type. Low hanging fruit for scouts that like players that whack the ball out of the park. The truth is that Hamilton's skill set rely on him being a more polished player as he pushes from level to level.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I like Pence for the stretch too. Sure, Ludwick has a chance to come back and do what Pence has been doing this year, but what are the chances of that? Pence is as sure a bet as anyone on the market to come in, make good contact, hit for a bit of power, play solid defense and bring positive energy to the clubhouse. He'd murder between Choo and Votto.

Of course, SF will be looking for a Zack Wheeler-like return for him (oops). I'd do Trevieso but even that's pushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    The articles I have read say the Giants would much rather sign Pence than trade him so it will take a big offer to get him. One of the Giants writers had an article that he thinks they may trade Pence only if they could get a starting pitcher for him.

I don't see the Reds giving up starting pitching to acquire Pence especially with Cueto's ongoing injury issues.
    Giants are blowing smoke. And if they're not, it's their loss because no one is giving up a starter for Pence in a walk year.

Braves make a deal to shore up a weakness.

Ditto for the Tigers.

We'll see them both make the playoffs.

All quiet on the 3rd Place Reds Front though. Hmm.... Maybe they feel they are "strong enough as is."

I don't think so. Neither do the Dodgers.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Tino was in Miami.
    Sometimes I get the Mariners and Marlins confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Except if you look at what Homer has actually done this year,
    it's not top 15 in the league.
    OK, if you want to pivot to a different argument, let's take a look.

Amongst 2013 qualified NL SP, Homer is:
    K/9: 9th (Latos 8th, Harvey 1st)
    BB/9: 12th (Leake 11th, Arroyo 5th, Wainwright 1st)
    HR/9: 15th (Chacin 1st)

Seems pretty top-15 to me.

Peripherals tell me what Homer is potentially capable of
    Only if "capable of" means "ERA." To me, they say both what he's done and what he's likely to do going forward if you're looking at the last 200-ish IP.

The game logs tell me what he's actually done so far this year.
    He's either at the lower end of #2s or the upper end of #3s.
    Depending on how one looks at the game logs they can tell you that.

But I can look at the game logs. His no hitter was awesome.
    The days that he gave up 4 or more runs were not good.
    I don't look at it like this because run prevention is a team activity that is not solely in the hands of the pitcher.

I'm not predicting future performance. I'm evaluating what he's actually done this year, and it's underwhelming given his peripherals.
    Except it's not.

In other words, I'm glad he's a Red. I want to keep him.
    But he's somewhere between the #3 and #5 on this staff.
    He's definitely not one of the top 20 guys in baseball.
    Homer Bailey has been the Reds best SP so far this year. Mat Latos is close behind.

He's been a top-10 SP in the NL this year. As has Latos.

WAR is flawed.
    Every stat, especially when not understood or misused is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I like Pence for the stretch too. Sure, Ludwick has a chance to come back and do what Pence has been doing this year, but what are the chances of that? Pence is as sure a bet as anyone on the market to come in, make good contact, hit for a bit of power, play solid defense and bring positive energy to the clubhouse. He'd murder between Choo and Votto.

Of course, SF will be looking for a Zack Wheeler-like return for him (oops). I'd do Trevieso but even that's pushing it.
    There's the rub. I totally agree that he would be a perfect addition, but you're not going to get Pence without giving up some major pieces. Not worth it, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    There's the rub. I totally agree that he would be a perfect addition, but you're not going to get Pence without giving up some major pieces. Not worth it, in my opinion.
    I don't consider Trevieso/Winker as major pieces, at least not yet. Stephenson, Cingrani, Ervin and Hamilton are the major guys in my book, with the two pitchers being pretty much untouchable. Then Winker/Travieso. I like this team's chances this year, but they'll need a big LF bat to get past the Cardinals. Pence is the best rental available.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Pence has hit lefties hard this year. That is his main attraction. Reds need one of their righty bats to hit lefties real well.

Sorry to hear about this it seems to mean Reds really aren't counting on Ludwick. Pence is a starting player, no way this is for the bench.

I wouldn't give up Hamilton or Stephenson or Winker. Anyone else is possible IMO.

Travieso and Contreras?

Just A Couple Johnny's OneManBand's Avatar

Jessie Crain traded to the Rays

Turn Off Ads?